Suspension Guidance... Which level kit?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I know, I know. I've read until I was blue in the face. I promise.

Usage: The truck is my only vehicle. It was purchase for (and I hate this term) overlanding (read: camping, day trips, exploring, visiting off the beaten path ghost towns, traveling to photography locations. It will not be used for rock crawling/hardcore wheeling). I want/need the truck to handle well on and off road. I don't personally mind the stock FX4 suspension, but better is always...better.

With that in mind, I want to do shocks all the way around and (sooner rather than later) bump the tire size to 285/70r17. I would like the least amount of lift (level) in the front needed to clear the tires and allow them to flex while offroad. Long term plans include a much more expensive lift kit (if I decide this isn't suitable for my needs), UCA, wheels, etc. I have narrowed it down to two different kits: the Bilstein and the Eibach Front with Springs and the Eibach Rear. The Bilstein are $389 and the Eibach are $565. I subscribe to the buy once, cry once mindset, so I don't mind the price difference. They are nearly spot on without the springs on the Eibach.

I like the idea of the springs being included in the Eibach, so I don't have to mess with the stock springs.

Here is (are) the question(s):
  1. Which kit would you recommend?
  2. Has anyone run both, that could offer an opinion?
  3. Is there a third option that I should consider? (close to this price point)

I have a set of ARB skid plates that I will be installing this weekend and I will be ordering a set of Shrockworks sliders (I'm waiting to see if they offer a 4th of July sale). Lift and tires are what will complete phase 1 (ish) of my build.

Thank you for the input, I know this is a dead horse, but I didn't really find my answers. If there is a thread I missed, feel free to link it and I will read up.

Side Note: I see that the Bilsteins are not available through Stage 3 right now, but the parts are available individually and I will see if they will honor the kit price.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
For what it sounds like from your intentions the Eibach would be the minimum. Although you’re saying you don’t want to go higher I would recommend to save a bit longer and take a step up. I think in the end when the performance counts you’ll be glad you did.

In honesty, that’s the path I’m taking myself.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I do understand that you want to go Overlanding and that is perfectly fine. If you wanted to go rock crawling you probably would have boughr a different vehicle.

With that said i would suggest not buying a leveling kit vut instead a lift kit. What lift kit in particular? The Old Man EMU lift kit.

Why that lift kit? Well to begin with it is originally designed for those wanting to go trail rideing or Overlanding. It is also designed well enough that pavement isnt a problem either.

What all do you get? Well if you start with the basic level stuff you get all 4 shocks, new coils up front and new leafs in the rear. They also have a heavy load kit designed for constant heavy loads if that is what you plan do have in the truck.

Now they do have a more expensive option and that is the BP-51 amd I myself plan to upgrade to it eventually but it is out of the price range you are wanting to start with.

Now you might be wondering why i am recommending that kit over others. Well I decided to put it on my truck and so far have roughly 28,000 miles on the kit. In tgose miles I have yet to have a problem. The ride quality is nice both on and offroad. You get more suspension travel in both the front and rear. And if you decide to load the rear you dont have the rear of the truck sitting lower than the front like you would get with a leveling kit.

Now the big question. Can you fit 285/70-17 with no major problems with this kit? Yes and no. Why? Well it depends if you want to keep the factory wheels or not..... And what tire you get because unfortunately not all tires in the same size are the same size. If you keep the stock wheels I can promise that the Firestone Destination XT in that size will fit. What did I do with the crash bars? I removed the plastic covers and pushed tue front crash bars forward as much as they would go. Do I rub at all? I do but only at full lock on the sway bar and that does not bother me enough to worry.

How is the overall clearance with this combination? Pretty well I'd say. I have been offroad on plenty of trails and to say the least I feel it is just right for the Ranger. There are still some spots that are challenging due to how the terrain is but that can be expected no matter where you go.

Here are some pictures of my truck with the lift and tires.

Hope this helps

0620211521.jpg

0620211112.jpg

0602211838a.jpg

0602211838.jpg

0602211803a_HDR.jpg

0602211803_HDR.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0529211359.jpg

0516211436_HDR.jpg

0516211436.jpg

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@Frenchy the OME kit is definitely one I’ve considered, for me though, that’s a future thought. Maybe worth doing now, I guess. for the time being, I can do sliders and the level kit OR the OME kit. Sliders are more important, in my opinion, to protect the truck. Thanks for the feedback though. Maybe it’s time to just save some money for the lift and wait.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Frenchy the OME kit is definitely one I’ve considered, for me though, that’s a future thought. Maybe worth doing now, I guess. for the time being, I can do sliders and the level kit OR the OME kit. Sliders are more important, in my opinion, to protect the truck. Thanks for the feedback though. Maybe it’s time to just save some money for the lift and wait.
My suggestion is to wait and save a little befor spending. As important as sliders are you should be fine without them for a while if you go with OME. As you can see I dont have sliders and I haven't had an issue. I can say I have been close but far enough away to really worry. Doesnt mean I wont get sliders as they can still be helpfull, I just have other plans first.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I should add that the toughest trail.i have done here in Colorado is the Hayden pass trail with 32 inch tires and this lift kit. Why was it the toughest. Well the way the trail is I should have aired my tires down(didnt have a compressor at the time) and I don't have a locker. One or both would have made a world difference.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
FP Fox 2.0 kit. Very very nice.
Sponsored