Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hey All,
I just cant seem to make a decision on this bed modification I have in mind, and so I want to hear what y'all think. You guys have more free time these days, no? Haha :frown:
Like many people, I'd like to install a few QuickFist clamps to the bed interior to help organize. And in lieu of any kind of bed rail system (or good tie-down options in general), the only way forward I can think of is to get out the drill and start mounting some hardware. The principal issue here is that the clamps themselves, or some kind of bracket system (more on this below), will end up being mounted straight on to the flimsy sheet metal making up the bed. So....
Option 1) Use Jack Nuts (AKA: Jack Rivets) to create a mounting system in a custom bolt pattern. The jack nuts are a nice because they can be mounted blind without achieving access to the opposite side; the space in-between the bed itself and the body panel. This brings me to.....
Option 2) Remove the rear splash guard/wheel-well liner to gain access to this space. Im "pretty" sure that once that splash guard is off I can get in there. This would allow me to mount the clamps using a standard bolt w/o the need for the jack nut solution. This, of course, will yield a much stronger mount. However, i would still have the issue that the system is relying on flimsy sheet metal to hold it all together. Thus...
Option 3). Create some strength by first mounting a strip of L-Track and THEN the QuickFists, or...
Option 4). Start with option 2 but this time put a scrap piece of wood behind the mounts so as to shore them up even further, or.....
Option 5) A combination of options 3 and 4 (L-track mounted through the bed straight into wood) for maximum strength.

Pics are below for some idea as to what Im talking about. I marked in the second picture about where the L-track would be.

And please, if I'm missing an easier solution here, i'd LOVE to hear it. I'm new to the truck modifications game so by all means, set me straight. I also realize that mounting any carrying clamp into sheet metal isnt the best idea. But I plan to take it real easy and not torque on it too much.

Happy Quarantine!

3.jpg

4.jpg
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
What is it that you're trying to mount or secure in the bed?

I would, in now way, ever - drill, screw, tap, or otherwise mess with the sheet metal for a mount.

Perhaps knowing what it is that you're trying to secure will aid in helping you to find a solution short of chopping your truck up.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What is it that you're trying to mount or secure in the bed?

I would, in now way, ever - drill, screw, tap, or otherwise mess with the sheet metal for a mount.

Perhaps knowing what it is that you're trying to secure will aid in helping you to find a solution short of chopping your truck up.
Sure. The end goal here is to create some organization for tools/camping gear. For example, a shovel latched lengthwise along the inside wall of the bed, stowed up off the bed itself and not sliding around. And perhaps as lateral support for a fire extinguisher... meaning the weight of it is supported by the truck bed, and this would simply latch it to the side; like earthquake straps on a water heater. This won’t be high torque or high weight bearing.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
It seems you have a solution in search of a problem, imo. There are creases in the bed where you can mount 2x6's or 2x8's to keep items from sliding around. You can probably use something like that to mount hardware to, to keep totes and boxes from moving around the bed, without drilling holes in the sheet metal. Someone on here, mounted stuff to the outside of his swing boxes. It looked pretty handy.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It seems you have a solution in search of a problem, imo. There are creases in the bed where you can mount 2x6's or 2x8's to keep items from sliding around. You can probably use something like that to mount hardware to, to keep totes and boxes from moving around the bed, without drilling holes in the sheet metal. Someone on here, mounted stuff to the outside of his swing boxes. It looked pretty handy.
There is probably some truth to the whole solution in search of a problem interpretation. But, here is what I’m thinking about with a more tangible example: Shovel mocked up in place and what my aluminum angle would look like on the other side.
And thanks... I did catch the guy that covered his swing box with these things. That was the inspiration for this project, actually. Anyway, I still appreciate the input.

663E161B-04D0-4021-89E9-FA0299EFDEDA.jpeg

592961A8-417A-477C-B1D4-BB60E4C08760.jpeg

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Nice. I especially like the isolation those rubber mounts will provide. Very slick.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I have no idea how viable it would be, but have you thought about mounting something to your canopy clamps? They're cheap and easily replaced if you mess one up

Deleted member 1634

These types of clamps are what I've been considering for mounting things in my bed as well. Though I was wondering if some VHB tape would be good enough to hold something like that. Since, as mentioned before, drilling into the bed, or even the topper, wouldn't be ideal. I do have bare fiberglass (no headliner) on my topper, so might be easier to mount to that. I'll be interested to see how this conversation pans out.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have no idea how viable it would be, but have you thought about mounting something to your canopy clamps? They're cheap and easily replaced if you mess one up
I was messing with that idea as well. You could probably come up with something and I agree its low risk, but they sure do stick a ways into the bed. I still think you would need something to hold whatever you had mounted down closer to the sides.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
These types of clamps are what I've been considering for mounting things in my bed as well. Though I was wondering if some VHB tape would be good enough to hold something like that. Since, as mentioned before, drilling into the bed, or even the topper, wouldn't be ideal. I do have bare fiberglass (no headliner) on my topper, so might be easier to mount to that. I'll be interested to see how this conversation pans out.
Interesting idea with using adhesive. I hadn't considered that. I admit I dont have much experience with how the 3M products would perform in these conditions. You'll have to let me know if you have any success with that strategy.

Deleted member 1634

Interesting idea with using adhesive. I hadn't considered that. I admit I dont have much experience with how the 3M products would perform in these conditions. You'll have to let me know if you have any success with that strategy.
I think it would stick pretty well to the bare fiberglass, but not sure about the bedliner. It's worth a shot for sure. Might give it a try with mounting something low on the wall that can be banged around. That way if it breaks lose it won't have far to fall and it can stand to roll around for a bit before I get to it.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well, you told me not to, but I did it anyway. If this fails in the long run, I'll at least be happy to have this serve as a clear warning to others. Anyway, in the end, I decided to mount the QuickFists straight into the bed using JackNuts. This option was chosen for two reasons: 1) I couldn't easily remove the splash guard thanks to a few steel rivets that i didnt want to dill out and 2) I could never figure out how to connect the L-track to QuickFist. So here you have it: A few progress pics and the final product.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you told me not to, but I did it anyway. If this fails in the long run, I'll at least be happy to have this serve as a clear warning to others. Anyway, in the end, I decided to mount the QuickFists straight into the bed using JackNuts. This option was chosen for two reasons: 1) I couldn't easily remove the splash guard thanks to a few steel rivets that i didnt want to dill out and 2) I could never figure out how to connect the L-track to QuickFist. So here you have it: A few progress pics and the final product.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg
Hi Alex,

Rivnuts are used in many places on older model trucks with door mounted side mounted mirrors. I think you will be just fine IMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Alex,

Rivnuts are used in many places on older model trucks with door mounted side mounted mirrors. I think you will be just fine IMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the optimism, Phil!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So here you have it:
9.jpg
That looks like it was meant to be.... well done!

As long as your just attaching items such as the shovel shown, no worries.

I believe the initial concern was that you would be strapping cargo, lets say... something like hauling home a kitchen refrigerator, and strapping it down to the sheet metal wall of the bed, via a small rivnut. That would be scary.
Sponsored