Mounting bed rack through top rail

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I am thinking about mounting aluminum extruded t-slot rails along the top of the bed rail caps. I think there are 6 holes on the inboard side of the top rails that I plan on using to mount the rails. That way I only have to drill through the plastic caps and if I ever need to return to stock I only need to buy new caps.

Here are the holes I plan on using to mount the rails.
20230120_131907~2.jpg

I plan on either using a 1575 profile rail like this...
download.jpeg

Or double up with a 3075...
3075_photo.png

I plan on using it mainly to attach a bed rack for overlanding and also tiedowns

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if mounting it through the top of the bed rail using those existing holes is a good idea? Is that area sturdy enough to handle the loads? Is it significantly weaker than the pinches?

I already have an x4s tonneau cover and I would have to trim those a little bit to get a standard rack to fit (clamping to pinch weld under the rail) which I would like to avoid.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about...
20220406_172601.jpg
Sponsored

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Let me know how that works out; I'm looking to do something similar, to be able to add my Escape's old roof basket for longer trips, and/or strap skis and bikes. Like you, I have a tonneau cover, which I'd rather not cut into if I can at all avoid it. One idea I had was to get some roof rails off of an SUV from the junkyard, and turn them into bed rails, so that I could attach crossbars to them as necessary; sure, that would block the tonneau somewhat, but only on the long portion of the trip, then when I get to destination, I can remove the crossbars and accessories, and the rails would offer me extra tie-down points at all other times.

Monkey

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
I am thinking about mounting aluminum extruded t-slot rails along the top of the bed rail caps. I think there are 6 holes on the inboard side of the top rails that I plan on using to mount the rails. That way I only have to drill through the plastic caps and if I ever need to return to stock I only need to buy new caps.

Here are the holes I plan on using to mount the rails.
20230120_131907~2.jpg

I plan on either using a 1575 profile rail like this...
download.jpeg

Or double up with a 3075...
3075_photo.png

I plan on using it mainly to attach a bed rack for overlanding and also tiedowns

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if mounting it through the top of the bed rail using those existing holes is a good idea? Is that area sturdy enough to handle the loads? Is it significantly weaker than the pinches?

I already have an x4s tonneau cover and I would have to trim those a little bit to get a standard rack to fit (clamping to pinch weld under the rail) which I would like to avoid.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about...
20220406_172601.jpg

Monkey

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
If you think you would replace the bed rail caps if you sell it, don't worry about having to use the existing holes. Drill them where you need them, the new cap will cover the holes. It's probably better if you didn't mess up the existing holes the cap uses anyway. I'm thinking of doing something similar to put stake sides on.
Sponsored