First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
After seeing this thread marched out to my scab truck with my small socket set and got to it. Pulled them both off and brought them indoors to take a closer look! Yup, mine will tilt and just need the pegs put in them so I can do that. My build date is Nov last year so they were still using tilt ones then. Amazing how much more visibly without them though. Might just leave them off for now as my kids are all grown humans. They wouldn’t crawl back there even if I begged! ? The dog though, how soon till we GO!!! ?

PowerTools

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SuperCab, 2003 SportTrac
Occupation
yes
I never even noticed the rear headrests while driving :crazy:

Can't believe there's 7 pages for removing a headrest.

You should also hand in your man card for asking a dealer remove your headrest.
Thanks for taking time to post this. It adds so much value to this conversation.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks for taking time to post this. It adds so much value to this conversation.
I liked it... kind of like talking with friends... except then he'd call folks a pussy. :bow:

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Just a thought: A couple guys posted that they removed theirs and put them in storage. Maybe they will sell them or trade for yours?
Thats a great idea Andrew ! Thanks Bret

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle

Ease up...... He's from f*ckin Jersey.
1612797824378.png

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Hopefully this will be the LAST entry to this thread b/c I'm in my home office supposedly 'working' and always get distracted with the mostly useful/interesting threads here...this forum is a hoot.

Started tilting mine from day one, I dont usually have passengers in the rear and it does make a difference for better field of view. My 14 year old daughter was back there once fretting b/c she could not figure out how to tilt back up..now she's a smart kid, maybe too [book] smart; 4.0 student..her older brother at 17 who is a 3.25 student said 'hey dummy push the button!' without thinking twice..we all had a good chuckle. Sibling love!

Like an old USAF instructor told me once, 'its all new until you get it in your head' its easy to criticize others but we all gotta learn at some point. As long as it does not take you 88 times to get it.
How you train lesser folks says a lot about your character. I tell myself that a lot when I deal with genetically stupid people. If I did not stop letting idiots get under my skin I would have stroked out 20 years ago.
'Some folk jus be dum'...

1612799361981.png

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

You should see how many tailgate damper pages there are! ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure there is an enterprising person that can take advantage of this idea and incorporate a method for tilting headrests at same time?? AutoTilt :crazy:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
I am sure there is an enterprising person that can take advantage of this idea and incorporate a method for tilting headrests at same time?? AutoTilt :crazy:
I’ll admit it, I searched online for buttons with the trim. Found the trim for $40 for 2 ? Might just go with tarp rivets and call it a day. Turn the pegs so they can’t pop out and drive into the sunset with full view out the rear glass!

D22ACD2E-049E-4EEB-BD98-44933CEEC68A.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
I never posted the pictures here of the mod I ended up doing. Used black tarp rivets, turned some delrin plugs and here’s the end result. Interesting that during disassembly on the back of the headrest two metal plates with protruding legs are double taped on. The only thing I could surmise their use for is in an accident a whiplash head would contact the headrest that would then breakout the rear window. So... eliminated those as well. Came out pretty nice

032EA4F8-62EB-4AC9-AE87-6707C05E4452.jpeg

B3A50976-9D83-465E-82E8-D30B7F2320C7.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I never posted the pictures here of the mod I ended up doing. Used black tarp rivets, turned some delrin plugs and here’s the end result. Interesting that during disassembly on the back of the headrest two metal plates with protruding legs are double taped on. The only thing I could surmise their use for is in an accident a whiplash head would contact the headrest that would then breakout the rear window. So... eliminated those as well. Came out pretty nice

032EA4F8-62EB-4AC9-AE87-6707C05E4452.jpeg

B3A50976-9D83-465E-82E8-D30B7F2320C7.jpeg
Perhaps they just wanted extra support across the full width of the headrest? I removed the rear headrests on our 2019 SuperCab shortly after we bought it and I don't recall it having those.

What's the bottom line? Who knows. If it's a safety thing, why didn't they retrofit previous versions? If it isn't safety related, then what?

Regardless, the production line changes that Ford does are just weird. Some of it appears to be procurement related. Seems like they should provide documentation to the dealers so the vehicles can be "made whole" either before being sold, or when the vehicle is brought in for service. I feel it's a disservice to the customer to just pass the truck on through when it has parts missing.

Door seam delete,
Bed tie down delete,
Glove box damper delete,
Head Rest rear metal support adder,
Ecoboost badge delete,
etc... etc...
Sponsored