DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Rear window remote RF wireless open/close automation on the 2019/20 Ford Ranger.

Ford and other third party vendors do not have an automatic open/close system for the 2019/20 Ford Ranger's "optional" rear window so I decided DIY and build one on my own. My application is to crack open the rear window to remove excess heat in the summer. I found a quality 12 vdc mini linear actuator with RF remote control to move my rear window open/close on my 2019 Ford Ranger's Super Cab XL.
I believe this automation system is the only one in existence for the 2019/20 Ford Ranger. :cool:

DIY Design Features:
1. No modifications to the rear window will be allowed.
2. No drilling or machining on the Ranger will be allowed.
3. High temperature components will be used.
4. Easy addition and removal of the mini linear actuator system.
5. Easy to obtain, "off the shelf" automation system parts will be used.
6. Cellulose (wood) will be used for any special parts - no 3D printer needed.
7. The linear actuator will just stroke the center latch for open/close automation.

I had to do the following:
Make a rear window attachment bracket for the mini linear actuator control push rod/shaft.
Disable the window latch (temporary) since the linear actuator (gear motor) controls the window sliding and security.
Make a wood base plate to hold the linear actuator/RF receiver and attach it to the rear passenger window frame hardware behind the headrest.
Paint the wood base plate and stroke U bracket with Henry Ford's favorite color - black.

Construction- the boring details:
I made a two piece 3/8" plywood base plate to hold the mini actuator and remote RF receiver. I secured both wood pieces together with three T-nuts (8-32 screws) for a hillbilly "jam fit" behind the headrest on the driver side rear passenger side. A U shape wood bracket was made around the center latch for the actuator
stroke arm.

Design notes/tips:
The trapped in heat, in the Ford Ranger's cab in the summer time, will render most electronics useless unless the components are designed and engineered to withstand these high temperatures. I chose buying "off the shelf" industrial high temperature" electrical and mechanical components for a approximate cost ~ $155 USD plus mounting hardware.
The actual rear window open/close span is ~ 12" - I chose a very conservative 8" stroke/span actuator due to linear actuator mounting size constraints behind the headrest and rear window.
Note: A 10" stroke actuator could possibly fit if the baseplate is engineered right.
Operation only occurs when you have ignition power but keep in mind that there is an adjustable time delay when the ignition power fully turns off. This will allow ample time to open/close the window when leaving the cab. For those who have automatic remote key locks, you could open and close the rear window in this time delay period and also remotely open and close from your house by cycling your door lock key fob.
Alternately - wiring the remote receiver/actuator direct to the main starting battery terminals is somewhat dangerous but will only cause only a 8.5 ma drain from the RF receiver - you still could run down your main starting battery due to the 2.5 amp (max) draw if the mini linear actuator is used!
Also, extreme care should be taken to not disturb the "inside" defrost wires on the back of the rear window.

Operation:
With each remote (two of them were provided) press one button and release to jog (1 inch per second) the rear window open and the other button to close the window. Since this mini linear actuator has built in limit switches, by moving the window "fully" open/close will release the 2.5 amp power from the actuator motor
when the actuator reaches the full limit in travel. This operation mode will save the main starting battery current. Please note: Other modes/options are available.

Safety and security: All parts are made of wood in case of an accidental mishap. The mini aluminum actuator is mounted on the base wood plate, for safety. The mini actuator stroke arm pushes/pulls the window and by this process blocks the rear window opening. This creates added "free security" for the rear window by blocking the window center with a aluminum metal stroke rod (when opened). The actuator gear box motor keep the rod in place.

Hardware mini linear actuator and RF receiver removal:
Remove the three #8 screws from the T-nuts, pull one #10 bolt and unplug the 12 VDC adapter and U R done.

Parts:
1. Mini linear actuator with 8" stroke (operation temp -26°C/65°C (-15°F/150°)
2. 2 button RF remote control for mini linear actuator (operating temp range -40-80 C. -40 F. - 176 F.)
3. Misc. wire and cigarette adapter plug with fuse (10 amp.)
4. Misc. mounting wood hardware, wiring and black paint.

Ref Vendor Link:
This is not a vendor/supplier endorsement - other linear actuators can be found but this vendor have quality, reliable products.
https://www.firgelliauto.com/

Construction problems:
1. The mini linear actuator needs to be fairly aligned, on the baseplate to stroke the rear window. Misalignment will cause very bad things to happen!
2. Most cigarette adapter plugs have only a 5 amp. fuse and wiring to match. You need to beef-up the wiring and insert a 10 amp. fuse for this mini actuator.
3. My XL Super Cab headrest, on the driver's side rear passenger side had to be removed for this installation. :frown:

Top secret note: To make it easy on the 15 pound "stroke force" mini linear actuator, I sprayed silicone lubricant on both the rear window tracks. Sliding the rear window "now" moves effortlessly with very little force. (Do not use petroleum based WD40!)

Things to do: Get my nephew to paint the wood base plate flat black.

End of completed project
Start Date: 9/9/2020
Completion Date: 9/10/2020
Author: DIYAndy

Pictures are below ...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Close window
Close.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Open window
Open.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lookin better painted flat black. On the outside it blends in with Ford's window tint.
Black.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Man you have way too much time on your hands ?
I give you credit for ingenuity though!
Went fairly fast having the proper woodworking tools. :)
Here is the simplified wiring diagram for the RF remote control and mini actuator.
wiring-diagram-actuator-2ch-rem-firgelli-automations-fig-01.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was excited when I saw the post because I'd really like to have a powered rear window. I don't want to give up the whole drivers side of it to do so and no offense but I wouldn't want to look at that every time I look out my rear view mirror. Nice job though.

:idea: Hmmm....I wonder if I could adapt a tailgate damper to make this work? ?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't want to look at that every time I look out my rear view mirror.
Yes, this mini actuator has a large stroke rod but this one is the smallest I could find. :cool:
Also, I made this system easy to remove in about two minutes when the summer season is finished.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Epic idea!

Engineers finding solutions to problems that don't exist. Love it

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I was excited when I saw the post because I'd really like to have a powered rear window. I don't want to give up the whole drivers side of it to do so and no offense but I wouldn't want to look at that every time I look out my rear view mirror. Nice job though.

:idea: Hmmm....I wonder if I could adapt a tailgate damper to make this work? ?
Agreed, blocks a lot of an already too small rear window. I do use the back seats in my super crew enough for it to be an issue for that. Probably a good setup for super cab that's just used for storage, just not for me.
Sponsored