First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't want one for myself, but there should be an option for those who do. What irks me is that Ford (and other companies) often put a sun/moon roof on the higher-end trims of their vehicles, meaning that in order to get the cool stereo system or added power you really want, you have to buy the hole in the roof as well!
This is exactly what happened when I bought my Tacoma. I wanted the back up sensors and dual climate along with a few other options but that package included a sunroof which I didn't want. It should be an a-la-cart option.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This is exactly what happened when I bought my Tacoma. I wanted the back up sensors and dual climate along with a few other options but that package included a sunroof which I didn't want. It should be an a-la-cart option.
and what makes it worse is that the tacoma is already headroom-challenged, taking off some more for a sunroof just adds insult to injury.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
and what makes it worse is that the tacoma is already headroom-challenged, taking off some more for a sunroof just adds insult to injury.
I guess that's one good thing about being short. At 5'7" I can fit into just about any vehicle and still have plenty of headroom. lol

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I guess that's one good thing about being short. At 5'7" I can fit into just about any vehicle and still have plenty of headroom. lol
I'm 5'8 and there's a few vehicles where my head definitely hits the headliner as I'm rolling down the road (no sunroof). I absolutely cannot understand how a vehicle manufacturer can get away with making a vehicle where someone my size has headroom problems, but there we are.

I am definitely also not thrilled with the fact that sunroofs are often included in parts of packages. The last sunroof I'll ever own came that way in a 2002 Jeep Liberty that my wife wanted. Damn leaky POS. Also, that whole vehicle had problems that convinced me to never buy a Jeep again.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sunroofs are almost always part of a package and you either get a lot of stuff with it you don't want or the package price is ridiculous when the only thing you want is the sunroof.

That said, I've had many vehicles with a sunroof and rarely ever used them.

My Frontier Pro4X had a sunroof. I think I opened it once.

The only exception is my current GC which has a sunroof that I do use frequently.

I don't know if it is the roof design or what, but the sunroof seems farther forward and actually gives you an open air feeling.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 5'8 and there's a few vehicles where my head definitely hits the headliner as I'm rolling down the road (no sunroof). I absolutely cannot understand how a vehicle manufacturer can get away with making a vehicle where someone my size has headroom problems, but there we are.

I am definitely also not thrilled with the fact that sunroofs are often included in parts of packages. The last sunroof I'll ever own came that way in a 2002 Jeep Liberty that my wife wanted. Damn leaky POS. Also, that whole vehicle had problems that convinced me to never buy a Jeep again.
Sooner or later, sun/moon roofs will jam or leak on you. Pre-Covid, waiting for my own repair work to be done at my Ford dealer, I actually overhead a Ford technician advising a female customer that her sunroof would not get stuck so often if she would just stop opening it so much....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sooner or later, sun/moon roofs will jam or leak on you. Pre-Covid, waiting for my own repair work to be done at my Ford dealer, I actually overhead a Ford technician advising a female customer that her sunroof would not get stuck so often if she would just stop opening it so much....
Wow, what great advise. Why not just tell her to just park her car in the garage and not drive it? :facepalm:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Wow, what great advise. Why not just tell her to just park her car in the garage and not drive it? :facepalm:
That would also solve any weird noise issues and a tank of gas would last for weeks (not months since it would still turn into varnish by then) :like:

Sounds like a Microsoft solution. :devil:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I hardly ever open my sunroof equipped cars. Sometimes vent but thats it.

Mostly leave the shade open though, lets some light in. I would be all for a glass roof or fixed glass panel option. Would also keep the notorious sunroof leaking problem to a minimum.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Living in the south, I don't really even have any more desire for extra sun, filtered through glass, which tends to make it even hotter.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I don't want one for myself, but there should be an option for those who do. What irks me is that Ford (and other companies) often put a sun/moon roof on the higher-end trims of their vehicles, meaning that in order to get the cool stereo system or added power you really want, you have to buy the hole in the roof as well!
This is one of the main reasons I didn't buy the Tacoma last year. I wanted all the nifty features, but not the sunroof that came along with the package that included them.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't. I have owned multiple cars with sun/moon roofs. Ended up hating every single one because they would develop leaks, and/ or would randomly open themselves and let rain in and these were factory units. Aftermarket sunroofs are much worse. Typically there is little to no additional support structure installed on the after market units like OEM to support the weight of the unit. Who kn ow how they will decide to wire it in if you get a powered unit. I have seen some where they (I'm not kidding here) spliced into accessory power and used band-aids to wrap the wires...

Yes

Fricken Band-aids..

Another thing is after market units tend to leak even more than OEM sunroofs do. because of the differences in tolerances on seals. The steel edge of the hole is rarely rolled over to produce a clean mating surface for the gasket, and they almost certainly won't paint it, which can and will lead to rust. So unless the shop really knows their stuff and cut the hole correctly, seal the metal properly and install a drain system, your truck will take on a lovely mildew smell for 3-4 days after it rains and ruin the headliner, and probably start to rust after a few years.
I agree with you about the aftermarket units and would avoid them at all costs. I had the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and it comes with OEM sunroof. I used it often and there is no problem. Love this FEH! Over 150K on it for 10 years and averaged 33.6 MPG in its entire life. I wish Ford will come up with Ford Ranger Hybrid with the same towing power or more.

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Naw. I traded in my F-150 with a Pano because it turned the truck into an easy bake oven even with the sunscreen closed

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
The only thing I miss is being able to look up and make sure my kayak is still secured
Sponsored