Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Did you make your trip?

If so, how did the Sumo springs hold up?
Apologies that I did not come back with an update. Yes, we made the trip just great! The truck rode REALLY well, and did not sag substantially under the tongue weight of the trailer. When I've hauled something heavy like this in the past it was obvious that the truck was essentially just sitting on the bump stops. Now it feels much more ... "planted"? Less harsh? There is still obviously more range of motion in the rear suspension. The ride was comfortable and predictable.

Here are a few pictures from the trip:

IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1508-1.jpg
IMG_1513.jpg
IMG_1539.jpg
Sponsored

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
Apologies if you've mentioned it before, but do you have the blue or the black sumo springs? I ask because I have a similar weight TT (6,000lb loaded, approximately 700lb hitch weight) and am trying to determine if it's necessary to go with the black sumo springs over the blue.
I have the blues (6000lb unloaded, 570 tongue weight) and they are perfect.

BigRedDog

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
CPA
I have the blues (6000lb unloaded, 570 tongue weight) and they are perfect.
Good to hear. Are you able to sit level with a WDH? I ask because I just purchased my Ranger and the previous owner leveled it...which is great. But, I'm now debating removing the leveling kit just to get some rake back to help eliminate any rear-end sag. Alternatively, maybe I'll keep the level if the sumo springs and/or roadactive suspension setup can truly help the rear not sag at all with a WDH and 700+ lbs tongue weight.

I'm also looking at removing the leveling kit and going to an 2" complete OME setup (which looks like you have some OME parts), which I think would give me back a bit of rake.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
Good to hear. Are you able to sit level with a WDH? I ask because I just purchased my Ranger and the previous owner leveled it...which is great. But, I'm now debating removing the leveling kit just to get some rake back to help eliminate any rear-end sag. Alternatively, maybe I'll keep the level if the sumo springs and/or roadactive suspension setup can truly help the rear not sag at all with a WDH and 700+ lbs tongue weight.

I'm also looking at removing the leveling kit and going to an 2" complete OME setup (which looks like you have some OME parts), which I think would give me back a bit of rake.
I am completely level with a WDH. I have a full OME suspension including the HD leaf pack. I would absolutely look into upgrading the leaf pack if you tow a lot. It's been the single best suspension mod I have done between the few suspension setups I've had.

adamweisner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Occupation
President, SuperSprings International
I'll jump in and tell you they are worth every penny. We're on the road now heading up to Mackinaw and towing our 7000 lb trailer/700 lb tongue weight.
When we're hooked up the spring perch is actually contacting the Sumo's and when drivin there is no jarring when we hit a bump/road transfer/ bridge crack, ect.
The stock bump stop is hollow and compresses violently, but the Sumo's cushion the ride compressing as needed.
100% sold on them.

thumbnail.jpg
Rock and roll! Thanks you for your business.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Sorry
Apologies if you've mentioned it before, but do you have the blue or the black sumo springs? I ask because I have a similar weight TT (6,000lb loaded, approximately 700lb hitch weight) and am trying to determine if it's necessary to go with the black sumo springs over the blue.
Sorry for the delay....was on the road...now in Holland Mi.
I have the "blues" and find their perfect,

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Just finished installing my Blue Sumos.
I picked the rear of the truck up with the camper jack (wish I had thought about that when I did the Bilsteins).
Interestingly, with only the 1/4" spacer, I have 1 inch of clearance on the right, and none on the left.

20230511_181158.jpg

20230511_181207.jpg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Are these Blue Sumos noticeable when not loaded? As in do they eliminate sway?

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Are these Blue Sumos noticeable when not loaded? As in do they eliminate sway?
When the truck is unloaded, the only thing you'll notice is softer impacts on bigger bumps. Think of them as a much more progressive and softer bumpstop.

You still need good shock damping to control the rear end.

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, VW Golf, Ranger, Indian Scout, Beta RRS
Occupation
Research
I've got these too on my Tremor, which also has a leveling kit (1") installed. I can add to the positive reviews as I feel they've made the ride smoother on bumpy roads.

My only fear was that they may reduce articulation in the rear, but I haven't really noticed that.

I didn't need to heat the stock bolts or anything like that to get the OEM parts off. But I did the install at 5k miles so rust was an unlikely issue.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I put the blue Sumos on when I went to the multileaf springs. I couldn't be 100% sure if the improved ride - especially over bumps was the leafs or the Sumos until I finally got to go around a long curve at speed in both directions. It lessened the sensation if the inside front wheel getting light as if there was a little rear sway bar action.

I'm sold on the Sumos!
Sponsored