SOLVED: Excessive Wind Noise Above 50 MPH, Window Gasket Replaced

swinkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My truck is the blue one. You can see there is a huge difference between mine and the red truck on the dealer lot. I looked at every supercab I could find (about 10) and none were as bad as my truck. There is a slight difference between trucks, some were slightly shifted to one side or the other, but the red one in the picture above is what most looked like.

The issue was very obvious to the service advisor and everyone else in the vicinity, so I had no problem convincing them to schedule an appointment to straighten things out. My truck goes in on Tuesday for the appointment.
Sponsored

K2boarder24

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Risk Manager
Has anyone found the solution to wind noise, which sounds like its coming from right rear door or window?
I tried putting tape around rear door and window, but couldn’t tell any difference. I have just about decided it’s just the nature of the beast since so many people are experience the same problem.
I think the sound is coming from the B pillar outside. Wind is somehow getting stuck between the doors. I see people put sound proofing on. Maybe that helps

swinkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
This is where the sound was coming in. Removing the plastic panels in the back corner made the sound WORSE. I had dynamat and soundproofing foam added in both rear corners and on the back of the cab. I still notice road noise coming from that corner but it no longer sounds like my door/window is open.

IMG_4137.jpg

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
This is where the sound was coming in. Removing the plastic panels in the back corner made the sound WORSE. I had dynamat and soundproofing foam added in both rear corners and on the back of the cab. I still notice road noise coming from that corner but it no longer sounds like my door/window is open.

IMG_4137.jpg
Interesting. I have a SCAB with the same issue. It sounds like a window is cracked in the back passenger side when driving over 60 MPH. So it was the area you circled then? Did you remove the panels yourself or did someone else remove them and do the insulation packing for you?

swinkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting. I have a SCAB with the same issue. It sounds like a window is cracked in the back passenger side when driving over 60 MPH. So it was the area you circled then? Did you remove the panels yourself or did someone else remove them and do the insulation packing for you?
IQ Autoworks in Campbell, CA did the work and the diagnosis.

The noise actually comes from both sides of the truck, but you can only hear the passenger side while sitting in the driver's seat.

Here's a pic of the truck reassembled. The noise comes in from the vent next to the seatbelt. Remove that panel and the noise will be much, much worse.

IMG_4155.jpg

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
IQ Autoworks in Campbell, CA did the work and the diagnosis.

The noise actually comes from both sides of the truck, but you can only hear the passenger side while sitting in the driver's seat.

Here's a pic of the truck reassembled. The noise comes in from the vent next to the seatbelt. Remove that panel and the noise will be much, much worse.

IMG_4155.jpg
That's fantastic. Thanks!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
sometimes, air rushes in along the hood gap, goes up and over the A-Pillar, across the B-Pillar, and into the C-Pillar where it comes down and blows into the cabin, people put foam in the hood area where the A-Pillar is open and it stops the noise entirely. I'm going to be hunting wind noise here very soon because the dealer will probably just change the rotors and tell me the wind noise is fixed.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Glad to know I'm not the only one hearing this. Not having owned a truck in 20 years I just figured they cheaped out on sound deadening or seals.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
sometimes, air rushes in along the hood gap, goes up and over the A-Pillar, across the B-Pillar, and into the C-Pillar where it comes down and blows into the cabin, people put foam in the hood area where the A-Pillar is open and it stops the noise entirely. I'm going to be hunting wind noise here very soon because the dealer will probably just change the rotors and tell me the wind noise is fixed.
If you can post a picture of the area you're referring to in the hood/A-pillar it would be greatly appreciated.

Maker

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 2020
Ranger Lariat 2020 4 door.

Wind. Noise problem

theres is two vent behind he back seat. My finger can go thru and i can see it between the cab and the bes. . Is this normal or am i missing parts ?

410CA19D-D8E0-4557-85A5-B577B0AFCE94.jpeg
4BF495B5-5264-4C8D-8826-F3044D29FE52.jpeg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Ranger Lariat 2020 4 door.

Wind. Noise problem

theres is two vent behind he back seat. My finger can go thru and i can see it between the cab and the bes. . Is this normal or am i missing parts ?

410CA19D-D8E0-4557-85A5-B577B0AFCE94.jpeg
4BF495B5-5264-4C8D-8826-F3044D29FE52.jpeg
That’s normal, they open and close to let pressure out when you have the vents on. I ran my coax cable through it and now it’s mildly dusty behind the seat.

sapdhn

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
I did notice wind noise coming from the rear-seat side window area on my SCrew at highway speeds. It was loud enough to where I thought the window was cracked open. I don't know if it is a vortex caused by the side mirrors or what, but it is a bit noisy. Not world ending, but enough to notice.
Have the same issue.... took back to dealer ... the drove it and can hear the wind noise . They drove another Ranger same thing.... The dealer is ordering new window seals. Will wait and see if the works...

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Same problem here too. Wind noise from the driver's door. Hoping its an easy fix.
Any update? I kind of want to do something about this. I sat in the passenger seat recently and noticed way less wind noise. Obviously something going on with the driver door. Mine almost sounds like it’s coming in from behind the tweeter but it could be playing tricks on my hearing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any update? I kind of want to do something about this. I sat in the passenger seat recently and noticed way less wind noise. Obviously something going on with the driver door. Mine almost sounds like it’s coming in from behind the tweeter but it could be playing tricks on my hearing.
Hi Samsquanch,

You might have a door seal issue or an improperly seated speaker. Use the passenger door as a comparison. Tough as it is the driver's door, but if you could use a mechanics stethoscope without the diaphragm as a very directional tool to home on the source of the wind/road noise.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored