First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mechanical engineer CN RR
Just did this over lunch. Figured it wouldn't hurt. Much better brake feel, grabs way higher up on the pedal.

For anyone not willing to read through his dissertation that he wrote: Just work the parking brake up and down a bunch (20-30 times or so). I also worked the parking brake with the brake pedal pressed, unpressed, and pumped the pedal few times while working the handle.

I have bled and also bedded the brakes previously and this improved the pedal the most.

Glad this helped someone
my Brakes are now perfect not mushy very solid and this is a easy fix
Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I had the same long travel of the brake pedal and reading about this technique was very interesting. I had noticed that when engaging the e-brake, there was a different travel when pulling the handle with and without having the brakes applied.
I performed this procedure, and it took quite a few strokes, but it did make a huge difference. The pedal travel was reduced dramatically.
Thank you Ranger man for posting your finding!!

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Got our 2020 Lariat last Saturday. When driving yesterday, I thought the brakes felt a little strange. Then after it was parked for a few minutes I found a puddle of brake fluid by the left rear wheel and the inside of the wheel was covered with fluid. With 64 whole miles the truck is at the dealer and they cannot look at it until Monday. Took it to a different dealer than where I purchased it since they were much closer. ā˜¹

Ranger man

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sorry to hear that this happened.
I hope its just a loose connection or bleeder and you donā€™t have to wait for a part.
Iā€™m sure once you get this fixed youā€™ll be very pleased with your truck.
Iā€™m 61 and owned a lot of vehicles.
My favorite was a 93 Ranger and my first Ford not to mention the only trouble free vehicle I ever owned.
Had more than 200 thousand miles on it when I got rid of it.
Was always a big GM guy but throughout the years Iā€™ve always had water pumps or alternators idler pulleys at about 100 thousand on all of them.
Bought a Buick Enclave 2008 loved that vehicle but at 58 thousand miles the water pump was leaking, still under warranty but there were a lot of other things along with that so I bought the Ranger in May and itā€™s a pleasure to drive, very smooth quiet ride and easy to forget your driving a truck.

Iā€™m sure once this issue is resolved youā€™ll be very happy with your truck good luck.

If you get your truck back and still have a soft pedal and a lot of travel try what was stated earlier.
It works

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear that this happened.
I hope its just a loose connection or bleeder and you donā€™t have to wait for a part.
Iā€™m sure once you get this fixed youā€™ll be very pleased with your truck.
Iā€™m 61 and owned a lot of vehicles.
My favorite was a 93 Ranger and my first Ford not to mention the only trouble free vehicle I ever owned.
Had more than 200 thousand miles on it when I got rid of it.
Was always a big GM guy but throughout the years Iā€™ve always had water pumps or alternators idler pulleys at about 100 thousand on all of them.
Bought a Buick Enclave 2008 loved that vehicle but at 58 thousand miles the water pump was leaking, still under warranty but there were a lot of other things along with that so I bought the Ranger in May and itā€™s a pleasure to drive, very smooth quiet ride and easy to forget your driving a truck.

Iā€™m sure once this issue is resolved youā€™ll be very happy with your truck good luck.

If you get your truck back and still have a soft pedal and a lot of travel try what was stated earlier.
It works
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, hoping it is something simple. This is the first time I have had something like this happen with a new vehicle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, hoping it is something simple. This is the first time I have had something like this happen with a new vehicle.
Hi Alan,

Likely not from the Assembly plant...The evac and fill process usually flags leaks in the brake system. Possibly from shipping damage....Sad to see this...hope it is fixed asap.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Regarding the long pedal travel and using numerous strokes of the e-brake handle to tighten up the travel distance, I just looked over the service manual regarding the rear calipers. The rear caliper pistons are threaded into the caliper bodies and must be re-threaded in when replacing the pads. I am guessing that when pulling up on the e-brake handle we are adjusting the free play by rotating the pistons, hence shortening the pedal travel.

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I tried it and no difference was felt. But I already did a big brake kit up front and brake pedal felt much better after that.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Regarding the long pedal travel and using numerous strokes of the e-brake handle to tighten up the travel distance, I just looked over the service manual regarding the rear calipers. The rear caliper pistons are threaded into the caliper bodies and must be re-treaded in when replacing the pads. I am guessing that when pulling up on the e-brake handle we are adjusting the free play by rotating the pistons, hence shortening the pedal travel.
My '94 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee worked like this. Adjusted by pumping the e-brake handle while creeping in reverse.

But those were drum brakes.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Hi Alan,

Likely not from the Assembly plant...The evac and fill process usually flags leaks in the brake system. Possibly from shipping damage....Sad to see this...hope it is fixed asap.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil,

I just heard from the dealer and it turns out tha it was not brake fluid leaking but the rear axle seal. Unfortunately, the parts are on backorder until 9/18 which is not awful, but doesnā€™t make me too happy either. Then weā€™ll have to wait for the parts to arrive If they are released on the 18th.

I originally refused a loaner since I have another car to drive but now I think I will get one just ā€˜cause.

Not happy. We had the Ranger for 5 days and 64 miles. Hope the parts really come through on the expected date or my head will explode. ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil,

I just heard from the dealer and it turns out tha it was not brake fluid leaking but the rear axle seal. Unfortunately, the parts are on backorder until 9/18 which is not awful, but doesnā€™t make me too happy either. Then weā€™ll have to wait for the parts to arrive If they are released on the 18th.

I originally refused a loaner since I have another car to drive but now I think I will get one just ā€˜cause.

Not happy. We had the Ranger for 5 days and 64 miles. Hope the parts really come through on the expected date or my head will explode. ?
Hi Alan,

Glad it is not brakes....Something has to be done to nudge Dana to up the quality of their rear axle. Way too many out of the box axle leaks based on other forum members experiences with rear axle leakage. You, the customer, are basically left holding the bag with parts 4 days down the road...Sorry to hear this. I hope this will be the last time you will need warranty work on your Ranger....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
This is my first post

I believe I figured out the brake problem by accident and itā€™s the E brake and I think others that claim the brakes improved with time use there parking brake all the time but me I only use the parking brake when I am jacking it up to work on it or parked on a hill.

This is my story

I have disliked my brakes from the beginning.
Took it back to the dealer they ran it through tests and said everything checked out good thereā€™s no problems with the brakes. They even let me try a couple of others on the lot and really no different than mine.
I read all posts on the brakes and hear some say you get used to them but I disagree there shouldnā€™t be anything with brakes that you need to get used to.
Iā€™m old school always fixed things my self and I knew from past experiences that it had to be air somewhere in the system.
you pump the brakes a couple of times and the pedal is were it should be.

I bought 4 quarts of dot 4 brake fluid and tried everything as far as bleeding the brakes, all 4 corners with the pumping the brake and also reverse bleeding all 4 corners with no improvements in the pedal.
even had a friend with the equipment to help bleed the ABS system to no avail.

It drove me crazy and I donā€™t know how bad some of your brakes are but mine Iā€™d hit the gas pedal sometimes and thatā€™s not right. Iā€™m a one foot driver, learned to drive with a clutch and the first few times backing out of a parking spot Iā€™d put my foot on the brake put it in reverse and the truck would jump and your first reaction is to push on the brake harder and at the same time your pushing on the gas pedal and off you go. Pretty scary and not right.

I love this truck but I hate the brakes and after reading all there is to read about the brakes I gave up a few months ago.

I decided to paint the calipers, so I removed the calipers and rotors for cleaning and paint.
they turned out looking very nice, during the process I scuffed the rotors and sanded the pads put everything back but the springs for the parking brake, I tried everything but just could not collapse the springs enough to get them installed.

The brakes felt a little better after that. I guess you could say except-able then after a few weeks I finally figured out a way to collapse and tie off the springs to install them. Now Iā€™m right back where I started.

I thought about this a while and figured it could be the E brake causing all this, did some research on this type of E brake and found that it self adjusts itself each time you set the brake and from what Iā€™ve seen on these E brakes not easy to collapse for new pads.

Now I Get in the truck and start applying and releasing the brake and as I do this I notice the emergency brake hand is not coming up as high, take it for a test drive and I think there might be a little improvement so now I act like Iā€™m mad at it and start pulling it up and down with truck running and pumping the brakes at the same time until I was unable to do it anymore.

I take it for a test drive and now they feel almost normal, I yanked on it for at least 10 minutes before I test drove it and knew I was done tired took a brake ate dinner came back and did it all over again probably doing this set and release 500 times maybe more between the first and second time.

take it for a test drive and now they grab within the first inch of travel and when I get a chance I will bleed the rear calipers just to make sure I didnā€™t release any trapped air in there, most likely not but you never know.

I could be wrong but my guess is that at the factory they donā€™t pull up on theE brake or maybe only a few times and thatā€™s not enough and after doing this I truly believe that each time you pull up on the parking brake handle it only adjusts maybe a couple of thousands of an inch, I know this sounds crazy but it worked for me and I thought Iā€™d share my experience with all of you and hopefully it will help others.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!

Garman19

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Titanium Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I have noticed but not mentioned that my brakes have seemed a little soft from the day that I purchased my 2019 back in December. Just seems like you have to push the pedal way down before the braking starts. My wife's 2017 Escape has had very responsive braking from the day we got it. I did check fluid, and it is good....anybody else have this issue?
I was ready to buy a 2020 Lariat with FX4 package, first thing I noticed when turning out of the driveway on test drive was the top heavy, side wallowing feel. Then when slowing down the brake pedal was crazy soft, pushed in about 6 inches before any braking. Beautiful Rapid Red with chrome pkg, the leather interior was really nice, wanted that truck bad, just couldn't pull the trigger. I have read that people get used to the brakes, or they seem to firm up a little? And how much to change the suspension to stop that weird side to side wallowing? Just couldn't buy knowing it would have to go directly to the shop to fix? brakes, knowing they will say they are normal. Enjoy this forum and just like Mpro2, my wife also has a 2018 Escape with very responsive brake pedal.

Ranger man

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I was ready to buy a 2020 Lariat with FX4 package, first thing I noticed when turning out of the driveway on test drive was the top heavy, side wallowing feel. Then when slowing down the brake pedal was crazy soft, pushed in about 6 inches before any braking. Beautiful Rapid Red with chrome pkg, the leather interior was really nice, wanted that truck bad, just couldn't pull the trigger. I have read that people get used to the brakes, or they seem to firm up a little? And how much to change the suspension to stop that weird side to side wallowing? Just couldn't buy knowing it would have to go directly to the shop to fix? brakes, knowing they will say they are normal. Enjoy this forum and just like Mpro2, my wife also has a 2018 Escape with very responsive brake pedal.

push on brake hard hold it and pull up on e brake several times and you donā€™t have to pull hard on it the brake pedal will in-gauge much sooner after this good luck

Garman19

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Titanium Fusion
Occupation
Retired
push on brake hard hold it and pull up on e brake several times and you donā€™t have to pull hard on it the brake pedal will in-gauge much sooner after this good luck
Well thanks, very interesting idea. Thanks
Sponsored