Soft Brakes Anyone?

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I have noticed but not mentioned that my brakes have seemed a little soft from the day that I purchased my 2019 back in December. Just seems like you have to push the pedal way down before the braking starts. My wife's 2017 Escape has had very responsive braking from the day we got it. I did check fluid, and it is good....anybody else have this issue?
Sponsored

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Yep, every truck I test drove had that feeling. You get used to it, but I still dislike it.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
They feel weird and spongy. But they stop fine. It does take a little adjusting to.

OP
OP
Mpro2

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Okay, but now I have recently started using "sport mode" quite a bit and I seem to be grabbing for the brakes more!!! I wish the brakes would respond as quick as that 10 speed tranny does. Unbelievable how quick this truck is.....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, but now I have recently started using "sport mode" quite a bit and I seem to be grabbing for the brakes more!!! I wish the brakes would respond as quick as that 10 speed tranny does. Unbelievable how quick this truck is.....
Hi Mike,

Bed in your brakes! It will help you some. Search the Forums for the process but it is relative simple and seems to help.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Mpro2

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Hi Mike,

Bed in your brakes! It will help you some. Search the Forums for the process but it is relative simple and seems to help.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, I will check it out and see if it helps...

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed but not mentioned that my brakes have seemed a little soft from the day that I purchased my 2019 back in December. Just seems like you have to push the pedal way down before the braking starts. My wife's 2017 Escape has had very responsive braking from the day we got it. I did check fluid, and it is good....anybody else have this issue?
Dont feel any different than the 2014 F150 I had.

To me anyways. Brakes feel fine.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this is a "Ranger thing" that everybody notices, some hate it, some like it, most don't mind. I thought it was weird at first but soon got used to it. The brakes work great over all, but they engage a lot lower than most folks are used to.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I don't see a problem with the brakes. I press the pedal, the truck slows, I press it harder, it stops. Aren't they electrically controlled brakes? I expect it would be a different brake feel.

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger

Yeah my brakes feel the same. It's the only real complaint I have about my truck. I was wondering if there is any aftermarket bigger brake kits out there that would improve this.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
As far as the question of big brake options, you could check out RCMustang's build thread.
There, he chronicles his experience with PB Brakes.
They originally only had adapter brackets for The Euro Rangers. He helped develop adapters for our USA version. I am considering this as an option at some point.

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
As far as the question of big brake options, you could check out RCMustang's build thread.
There, he chronicles his experience with PB Brakes.
They originally only had adapter brackets for The Euro Rangers. He helped develop adapters for our USA version. I am considering this as an option at some point.
Thanks!

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The only downside I have found so far with the PB brake upgrade is that my Sport Package came with a 16" spare, so I already upgraded it with an FX-4 17" wheel and Non-temporary tire.

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
The only downside I have found so far with the PB brake upgrade is that my Sport Package came with a 16" spare, so I already upgraded it with an FX-4 17" wheel and Non-temporary tire.
good to know. Im sure mine is too.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
You can choose large or smaller rotor and caliper sizes to your liking. You can also download a template to verify wheel fitment. I went with as big as I could go with 17's.
Sponsored