First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
Another big issue...the freeze was so hard it was actually able to freeze the moisture in the natural gas lines.

But yeah..wind turbines...great idea in a state that can freeze...
Most of the wind mills are down due to ice build up on the blades. Even worse when it warms up and then it falls off in sheets weighing a ton. Also the solar fields are down because they didn’t build heat trace into the system. Kind of hard to see the sun through 6-18” of snow and ice.

How is all that green energy doing ya now. We have entire towns and small cities without power and water. All I can say is who even hacked off Mother Nature better apologize, cuz when mama ain’t happy ain’t no one happy.
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
nearly 40% of texas thermal power generation was offline during the cold. the wind turbines had very little effect on this

Also there's wind turbines in Antarctica working fine. Texas decided not to invest in winterizing power generation for wind and thermal power

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I live way down south in south texas. Like near Brownsville, and this 30, 20 degree weather killed all the plants in my yard. No power in many areas, Ranger is doing fine. The remote start feature is great!

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
D8D1D1A5-8B7B-45FD-A113-FCE0E3B4F839.jpeg

I work at a 600 MW natural gas turbine combined cycle power plant. Just keep believing the politicians and environmentalists that tell you green power is the answer. They are so wrong, need to keep all sources of power available.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Agreed, we can't rely on any single source of energy, green or not.

the environmentalists need to understand the detrimental effect of leaving all these flammable liquids etc in the earths crust.

its like holding your farts in. the earth feels the cramps, it feels the pain. it doesn't like it.

it must be removed otherwise the massive explosion down the road will surely destroy all the wind turbines and solar fields. there wont be a single flat piece of earth left for them to build on, let alone survive on.

thank god we have clean methods to burn these offending fuels away to save us. gone are the days of tossing chunks of coal into your fireplace and turning the neighborhood into a black cloud of death.

and to all you assholes rolling coal cuz you think you're cool, you're doing absolutely nothing to help with the matter. the environmentalists win because of your ignorant inbred stupidity.
RP do you need another delivery :lipssealed:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
RP do you need another delivery :lipssealed:
The only reason for global warming is because we have cleaned the atmosphere so well, now there is too much sunlight coming down. Don't trust air that you can't see.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Anyone from the San Antonio area on here? Just curious how it looks out there. My son is leaving for Air Force BMT this coming Tuesday and we are nervous about the weather situation out there.

Last edited:

Jon S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Well my other proud Ford Ranger owners....I am from Northeast Pennsylvania. We are about to get another 6 to 10 inches tomorrow! I just read that 76% of this great country is under snow pack! Crazy! Please all be safe! It is a beautiful sunny day here today which always means we get pounded the next day....I am very much into over landing and weekend landing but not in the snow! Please stay safe and warm!

B156A7CC-5A82-438A-AAB5-1830F6CC3335.png

80F746DC-15BD-4168-BC14-F01351773BEF.jpeg

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Texas is having all sorts of electricity shortages and price hikes which for some is causing all sorts of misfortunes. I tried to understand it and came across this article. It comes across as factual and it seemed not to try and judge why that is.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-...a-Isnt-Telling-You-About-Texas-Blackouts.html
I think there was recently a 2 billion dollar plan in place to connect the Texas grid, and the US Eastern and Western grids all together with a sort of "super hub" that would allow the various grids to buy and sell capacity to each other. Not sure what happened to that, or if it's still in the works.

Jda1981

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My trip to Big Bend Ranch this past weekend got cut short by the snow. It was supposed to be a weekend of mountain biking that turned into a shiverfest. When we decided to call it the snow had just started and by the time we made it out of the park there was about 2 inches on the ground. The trip back to Austin took around 13 hours but the Ranger was surefooted the whole way.

Before the snow

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Anyone from the San Antonio area on here? Just curious how it looks out there. My son is leaving for Air Force BMT this coming Tuesday and we are nervous about the weather situation out there.
Yesterday 267,000 in San Antonio were without power. My mother lives next to Kelly AFB and has not lost power. Your son will be across the street from Kelly. Your son will be fine. Currently the number is down to 68,000.

https://poweroutage.us/

Linky

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No different than here, we're full of stupid people. I can't tell you how many times a week you'll turn on the news and see another hiker having to be rescued because of dehydration. It's 110 outside and they went for a day hike with a 16oz bottle of water! :facepalm: Heck I'll drink 1-1.5 gals of water a day and some days that's still not enough. Idiots are just putting the rescuers lifespan's in danger cuz of their own stupidity.
We used to live in Scottsdale. As a family we'd climb Camelback. I took 8 canteens of water and gaterade. We always came back down dry.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What the heck is going on with this weather.... Snow in TX? I'm screwed if it snows like that in the valley because there's only one other place warmer than here. :devil:
We have had snow in Cave Creek twice in the last 10 years. First time it was just a dusting that lingered on the mountains. Last time it was two inches that melted off the roads pretty quick but hung around everywhere else. Made it look postcard perfect up here. It made it as far south as the 101 and Deer Valley area.

Most of my family is back in Texas. The Rolling Blackouts are killing them. My sisters house got down to 37 degrees inside the house at one point and moms condo association has had burst pipes that flood out not only the unit the pipe burst in, but the one below it too. Displacing two families at one time. Sister went out to look at what to do if they had to shut off water and found out the city in their infinite wisdom put on an E-Monitoring system (pretty common these days) but to keep their expensive radio gear from getting stolen, they put on a tamper proof lid so you can't get to the shut off. GENIUS! If pipes burst in her neightborhood you call the city and wait for them to come out and turn it off. I'm sure they'l be getting right on that call with the roads being frozen over and all.

I think if I ever had to live in an area where cold was a possibility like they are getting in Texas right now - even if it is a once in 100 years thing - I would build a LEED Certified Passive House with solar and a Tesla Battery. Something that could be an off grid home but functions normally on grid when there is enough civilization to go around.
Sponsored