First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
We pull a 3000# Nucamp Tab 400 Boondock and it pretty much levels us out. No WDH necessary.
IMG_7676.JPEG
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
We pull a 3000# Nucamp Tab 400 Boondock and it pretty much levels us out. No WDH necessary.
IMG_7676.JPEG
My only question is how much is your tongue weight and how much weight are you taking off you steering wheels. Some of the leveling may be in raising the front end.

Leveling the truck is not important in towing it's leveling the trailer. Also most WD hitches will give you sway control in the bargain. It's much better to spit the tongue weight between the front and back axles of rhe truck. Besides your lights won't be blinding oncoming traffic

Tiggger1531

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired USAF
I've been looking at getting a small travel trailer as well. I stopped at the Casita headquarters in Rice Texas, just north of Corsicana. Great little trailers. The staff were extremely knowledgeable. They having been selling their models out and unfortunately have a waiting list of almost 1 year. Probably what I will go with when I purchase one.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
My only question is how much is your tongue weight and how much weight are you taking off you steering wheels. Some of the leveling may be in raising the front end.

Leveling the truck is not important in towing it's leveling the trailer. Also most WD hitches will give you sway control in the bargain. It's much better to spit the tongue weight between the front and back axles of rhe truck. Besides your lights won't be blinding oncoming traffic
The tongue weight fully loaded on this trailer is only 356 pounds. We load about 60-70% in the front of the trailer. I was pulling this with a 2020 Jaguar E-Pace that did, well, OK, but I could tell it was back there. I traded up to the Ranger with factory tow package, and can barely tell it's there. But then again, it is a light camper and pretty aerodynamic. No weight distribution hitch is needed, nor anti sway with this setup. If I were to go with a longer camper or a much heavier, I would consider, but this really doesn't require it. And to be honest, it doesn't even drop the back down enough to level it. - I think my wife measured it at 1.8" drop from the tongue weight.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My The tongue weight fully loaded on this trailer is only 356 pounds. We load about 60-70% in the front of the trailer. I was pulling this with a 2020 Jaguar E-Pace that did, well, OK, but I could tell it was back there. I traded up to the Ranger with factory tow package, and can barely tell it's there. But then again, it is a light camper and pretty aerodynamic. No weight distribution hitch is needed, nor anti sway with this setup. If I were to go with a longer camper or a much heavier, I would consider, but this really doesn't require it. And to be honest, it doesn't even drop the back down enough to level it. - I think my wife measured it at 1.8" drop from the tongue weight.
Your tongue weight sounds fine if you truly only 3000 lbs. Should be 10 to 15 percent of trailer weight. I as more concerned that you are very close the recommendation for a WDH which is 50 percent of GVWR. Also when you said it levels the truck I was more concerned with how much the front lifed, and it will. That lift is an indication of weight coming off the front wheels and will affect steering in an emergency situation.

Right now you are probably OK but border line. I agree if you go bigger/heavier you need to seriously look at a WDH. I'm pulling about 4000 lbs and my WDH with sway control definitely makes a difference at highway speeds, meeting semis and cross winds.

Safe towing.

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
I wish I had the space to park an RV. I really like the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB. Sleeps three(when you break down the dinette), has a GVWR of 5,000lbs., and is just shy of 19 feet. The Explorer package is also nice if I want to go off the beaten path.
I am in agreement with you.
I have been shopping these things for a while and the Micro Mini 1708FB is #1 on my list.
Love the light weight and tandem axles.
#2 for us right now is an R-Pod 179.

There is also the Jayco FB 166 I believe. Great layout. Tandem axles but is heavy close to 5K dry.
A GeoPro 19FDS is a possibility too but is single axle. Kind of shying away from those.

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
I have a 2018 Jayco 145rb We live in Maryland. We have been to the Outer Banks in July and to Yellowstone In September, plus a lot of short weekend trips.
I got one night in Yellowstone at Grant Village the last day they were open and smaller is better. We did not make any reservations except for Trout Ranch in Cody WY and Grant Village We would just pull into a highway rest area Fire up the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 and sleep. We can fit into a tandem parking spot. I went down a street in Currituck NC and was so happy that I had a small camper because I barely was able to turn around if not I would have to back out about a half mile.
You lose a pile of money when you take them off the lot, Fiberglass walls look great but add weight.
Join a forum like Jayco Owner forums https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I have a 2018 Jayco 145rb We live in Maryland. We have been to the Outer Banks in July and to Yellowstone In September, plus a lot of short weekend trips.
I got one night in Yellowstone at Grant Village the last day they were open and smaller is better. We did not make any reservations except for Trout Ranch in Cody WY and Grant Village We would just pull into a highway rest area Fire up the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 and sleep. We can fit into a tandem parking spot. I went down a street in Currituck NC and was so happy that I had a small camper because I barely was able to turn around if not I would have to back out about a half mile.
You lose a pile of money when you take them off the lot, Fiberglass walls look great but add weight.
Join a forum like Jayco Owner forums https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/
"Fiberglass walls look great but add weight" ???

The Ultimate Guide To RV Construction - RVingPlanet

Aluminum vs. Fiberglass RV Siding: What's The Difference? - Good Life RV (glrv.com)

5 Best Fiberglass Camper Trailers (with Bathrooms) (drivinvibin.com)

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
And with aluminum hail damage is a consideration particularly out west in the mountains.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
And with aluminum hail damage is a consideration particularly out west in the mountains.
The greatest frequency of hail in NA is in the area where Nebraska, Wyoming and SD intersects. I resided in SW South Dakotoa for a few years and got hail damage while there. I can tell you stories from the people who lived there entire lives in that area. It hails lots!!

Last edited:

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
We’re towing a new 2021 Palomino Solaire 185X. No issues. Can’t say I want something larger but this is a “just right” size. The funny part was that I installed the Ford brake controller two days before driving five hours to get the trailer. Untested. Thankfully, I had enough attention to detail that it worked like a champ. Worst six hours of install time I’ve had in a while. It is a very good brake controller though and am very pleased.
D4C34793-B437-4CB3-9928-C7A0FEE68C59.jpeg

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We’re towing a new 2021 Palomino Solaire 185X. No issues. Can’t say I want something larger but this is a “just right” size. The funny part was that I installed the Ford brake controller two days before driving five hours to get the trailer. Untested. Thankfully, I had enough attention to detail that it worked like a champ. Worst six hours of install time I’ve had in a while. It is a very good brake controller though and am very pleased.
What does it weight????

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I've been looking at getting a small travel trailer as well. I stopped at the Casita headquarters in Rice Texas, just north of Corsicana. Great little trailers. The staff were extremely knowledgeable. They having been selling their models out and unfortunately have a waiting list of almost 1 year. Probably what I will go with when I purchase one.
My wife and I drive by that place several times a year on our way to Galveston, and always talk about stopping in for a look. We may have to stop the talk and stop in next time, thanks.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice looking rig, like your choice of truck color too. ? I agree with you on not wanting much bigger with the Ranger. Is that a Husky Centerline hitch? That's what I have and ready like it. The Radarc is a good controller, it's what I have just not the Ford part. Have fun with your trailer and tow safe.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Nice looking rig, like your choice of truck color too. ? I agree with you on not wanting much bigger with the Ranger. Is that a Husky Centerline hitch? That's what I have and ready like it. The Radarc is a good controller, it's what I have just not the Ford part. Have fun with your trailer and tow safe.
TYVM! Yep that is a Husky Centerline!
Sponsored