Sirius travel link issues

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
My Sirius audio seems to always work, but the Travel Link is a real crapshoot if the features will come on.

So, for grins, I did a chat with Sync support to see if they considered this a known issue. The only thing I got from them was standard Sirius troubleshooting.

I advised them that the only thing that seems to fix the issue is rolling back to a previous version. They created an escation case for me so we’ll see what happens.

@UofMEngineer do you have any info you can share on this?
It’s being worked now, but I haven't been following it much to be honest since it's out of my lane. For now, it does seem rolling back is the only "cure" until some other fix is implemented.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cjmdwyer

cjmdwyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor lariat
Occupation
Auto damage estimator
One thing I have noticed is since the rollback is that on every start my navigation view changes back to 2D and I have to change it to the 3D view every time as I prefer that view. It use to stay in 3D on before the rollback to fix travel link. Weird...

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
It’s being worked now, but I haven't been following it much to be honest since it's out of my lane. For now, it does seem rolling back is the only "cure" until some other fix is implemented.
Below is Ford's response to my escalation. I am somewhat skeptical of their assessment of what the dealer can do to resolve this. I bolded what I think are the most important points.

Thank you for contacting the In-Vehicle Technology Team of Ford Motor Company. I do apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with your Ford Product.

I received your escalation regarding Sirius Satellite Radio. The issue you are experiencing is a known issue. We are working on finding what the root cause is and providing a resolution. You were provided some steps that we found that work for some vehicles and not for others. I do apologize. This issue occurs when the navigation maps update to version 2.20 via over the air wireless update. Around 5/7/2021, your vehicle installed map version 2.20. This version is only available via other the air wireless update. It has not been released via USB as of yet.

There is a possible dealership fix. The dealership can follow the steps below and/or diagnose the issue and work with tech hotline if the below doesn't fix the concern.

The technician will insert your VIN into OASIS/PTS website. The technician will click on the "Connected Vehicle" tab within the website. This will bring up the current data that the vehicle sends to us. If the technician scrolls down they will see the 60 day VHA/DTC History. The technician is looking for Diagnostic Trouble Codes. The code is APIM | U1A00:87:08. There is an issue with circuits associated with Sirius XM. There should be something in their shop manual to look for a resolution. The technician if needed can contact Tech Hotline if they have any questions.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Below is Ford's response to my escalation. I am somewhat skeptical of their assessment of what the dealer can do to resolve this. I bolded what I think are the most important points.

Thank you for contacting the In-Vehicle Technology Team of Ford Motor Company. I do apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with your Ford Product.

I received your escalation regarding Sirius Satellite Radio. The issue you are experiencing is a known issue. We are working on finding what the root cause is and providing a resolution. You were provided some steps that we found that work for some vehicles and not for others. I do apologize. This issue occurs when the navigation maps update to version 2.20 via over the air wireless update. Around 5/7/2021, your vehicle installed map version 2.20. This version is only available via other the air wireless update. It has not been released via USB as of yet.

There is a possible dealership fix. The dealership can follow the steps below and/or diagnose the issue and work with tech hotline if the below doesn't fix the concern.

The technician will insert your VIN into OASIS/PTS website. The technician will click on the "Connected Vehicle" tab within the website. This will bring up the current data that the vehicle sends to us. If the technician scrolls down they will see the 60 day VHA/DTC History. The technician is looking for Diagnostic Trouble Codes. The code is APIM | U1A00:87:08. There is an issue with circuits associated with Sirius XM. There should be something in their shop manual to look for a resolution. The technician if needed can contact Tech Hotline if they have any questions.
Thank you for your efforts Alan.
It is great that Ford recognizes there is an issue. It is extremely disappointing that while they recognize the problem, they are not providing a fix for those of us that downloaded map version 2.20 that we can download OTA. "There is an issue with circuits associated with Sirius XM. There should be something in their shop manual to look for a resolution" is not something that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling they know how to fix the problem.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for your efforts Alan.
It is great that Ford recognizes there is an issue. It is extremely disappointing that while they recognize the problem, they are not providing a fix for those of us that downloaded map version 2.20 that we can download OTA. "There is an issue with circuits associated with Sirius XM. There should be something in their shop manual to look for a resolution" is not something that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling they know how to fix the problem.
This was the first time I did an OTA update and may be the last. But I really wanted the updated maps.

Anyway, I emailed them back asking about rolling back just to see what they say. Usually, their story is that you cannot roll back even though we know different.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
This post saved a lot of grief for me. I went to the dealer and they advised me they were not allowed to go backwards on software revisions and unless they followed the Ford Service guidelines they could not order a new APIM. Instead they were going to change the antenna harness between the Infotainment in the dash and the antenna on the roof as their first step. So, I decided I would meticulously and methodically try to determine if there was a software issue going on. After messing around for hours, pulling fuse #32 to power off the Sync and start it cold, master resets, messing around with the OTA update after I had already done the USB update, I took the risk and used Cyanlabs to downgrade the software to 3.4.20351. Seems like everything is working now. (I even gave Cyanlabs a $50.00 USD donation!) I have not reinstalled the Ford Pass App because I am fearful that when I get the connectivity going, it will force an update check and try to download the bad symptom creating 3.4.21020 version. Later this week, if I am brave, I may try putting back in the Ford Pass App and quickly turning off Auto Updates. Or I may wait until Winter and hope that Ford has an update that corrects this problem.
The Fordpass app will not cause the system to download the bad update. Just make sure you have wifi/auto update turned off in Sync and it cannot update.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
This was the first time I did an OTA update and may be the last. But I really wanted the updated maps.

Anyway, I emailed them back asking about rolling back just to see what they say. Usually, their story is that you cannot roll back even though we know different.
Here’s the official Ford response on rolling back, which we all know is BS:
Unfortunately, the software can't be rolled back. If the dealership would have to replace the APIM module, it may have older software that would resolve the issue. But other than that, previous software can't be installed.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Update 21098 just showed up for me so I went ahead and updated to it to see if the issue gets resolved. Nope - Travel Link is still screwed up.

OP
OP
cjmdwyer

cjmdwyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor lariat
Occupation
Auto damage estimator
After rollback I had the map defaulting to 2D issue as mentioned.
I presented this on the cyanlabs forum and it was suggested to do another master reset after the rollback.
I did that and all is good now.
Had to make sure and turn off the automatic updates feature again!
I can also attest that you can use Ford Pass connectivity just fine as it has nothing to do with the auto updates.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
After rollback I had the map defaulting to 2D issue as mentioned.
I presented this on the cyanlabs forum and it was suggested to do another master reset after the rollback.
I did that and all is good now.
Had to make sure and turn off the automatic updates feature again!
I can also attest that you can use Ford Pass connectivity just fine as it has nothing to do with the auto updates.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Did the rollback to v20282 using my original download and all seems to be good. I did the master reset after the rollback and initially had some quirky behavior so I did a second master reset which cleared up the issues.

Now I need to reactivate Fordpass but they are having issues with activation today.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I downgraded to 3.4.20351. Travel Link works again. Only thing I notice now is my Nav favorites get deleted every time I restart the vehicle.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I downgraded to 3.4.20351. Travel Link works again. Only thing I notice now is my Nav favorites get deleted every time I restart the vehicle.
If you do a Master Reset, that should fix the favorites issue. Of course you'll need to do all the setup again and reactivate Fordpass if you use it. I took pics of all my settings so I could put everything back the way it was.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you do a Master Reset, that should fix the favorites issue. Of course you'll need to do all the setup again and reactivate Fordpass if you use it. I took pics of all my settings so I could put everything back the way it was.
Alan, thanks. Will give that a try.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I've been exchanging emails with someone at Sync support regarding the Travel Link issues. I advised them that I had indeed been able to successfully roll back Sync and resolve the issue using the the old version.

The good news is they have identified the issue(s). The bad news is we have to wait on the fix which could take a while due to the complexity of the issue.

Their guidance is:
"if this concern doesn't resolve itself within a week of the vehicle being driven is to take the vehicle to the dealership for a technician to diagnose the concern. If they can't figure out what is going on then they need to involve the tech hotline that has direct contact with Engineers to get this resolved sooner."

I also volunteered to be a test dummy for them but they did not address the request.
Sponsored