First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
I have experienced a VERY strange problem twice now. The first time this happened I was on a job site. I had backed up and then started forward when I heard a loud pop and a strong vibration from under the truck; my first thought is that I must have run over a loose piece of lumber and bounced it up into the undercarriage and was dragging it along. I stopped the truck and inspected for debris or damage to the underside of the truck and found none. I took off again with no sign of a problem, I eventually put it out of my mind. This occurred a couple of months ago.

Today I was pulling out of a banks parking lot onto the street, again I heard a loud pop and severe vibration under the truck that could be felt in the gas peddle and floorboard. Again I thought " what the f%$k did I just run over. I hit the brakes and then the vibration stopped, I pulled over once again to inspect for damage, discovering none.

Fortunately, both of these instances occurred at low speeds, I fear that if this happened at higher speeds this could end badly. I am a former auto mechanic and am very mechanically inclined. I have given this much thought and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the transmission is engaging two gears at once but maybe the second clutch pack in not engaging with full pressure, as that would certainly stop the engine cold. The vibration is coming from under the front seat area (transmission area).

As a note, this is a 2WD model, so it's not a transfer case issue. Taking this to my local dealership would be a waste of time as I know from experience they have no desire to diagnose warranty drivability issues of any kind.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
Did you figure this one out? Something similar happed in my Tremor yesterday. I pulled out of the driveway (forward) and felt/heard a sound like running over a small branch or rock. My daughter’s bedroom is directly over the garage facing the drive way and she heard the noise and though I already hit something in my new truck.

I’ve looked around and under the rig and didn’t see anything that looks wrong.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Never experienced this but now I will be on the look out. Do you remember really "throwing" it into DRIVE? The only reason I ask is when I'm rushing I've felt the transmission jolt a bit, when cold starting and rushing into Drive.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've experienced strange transmission behaviors many time...one out of 100 times, going from park to reverse would result in a sudden lurch...1/100 time going down a slight incline (same drive) would result in a down shift lurch...all noticeable but not concerning as OP describes...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Almost sounds like universal joint lock or your bearing might be dry

OP
OP
Mark Lally

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Did you figure this one out? Something similar happed in my Tremor yesterday. I pulled out of the driveway (forward) and felt/heard a sound like running over a small branch or rock. My daughter’s bedroom is directly over the garage facing the drive way and she heard the noise and though I already hit something in my new truck.

I’ve looked around and under the rig and didn’t see anything that looks wrong.
No, I still have no clue as to what it is and it's happened several times since. I have determined that it only happens when accelerating slowly from a stop and only when turning right. It feels like it's directly under the drivers side floorboard.

OP
OP
Mark Lally

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Never experienced this but now I will be on the look out. Do you remember really "throwing" it into DRIVE? The only reason I ask is when I'm rushing I've felt the transmission jolt a bit, when cold starting and rushing into Drive.
No, it's only after being in gear for a period of time.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Almost sounds like universal joint lock or your bearing might be dry
That was my first thought. Possibly a U-joint is binding up causing the drive shaft to start bouncing around. One time I had a needle bearing inside a u-joint commit seppuku and caused a nearly identical issue with the driveshaft. It also tore up the center bearing mount in the process with the shaft jerking all over the place. @RANGER PRIDE may also be onto something with the center bearing rubber being torn. If it is, then it could be the cause of this issue, or damage caused by something else such as a binding u-joint.
Sponsored