Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

No explanation as of yet. Phil, do you think I will see any lasting damage from driving the truck with the malfunctioning coil/plug? I had to drive it about 250 miles to get home. As I said, I was able to get around the shudder by manually shifting, but I'm assuming the plug was firing throughout the entire rev range and it was just most noticeable during those lower RPM's. I still have 4 years and 53,000 miles to go on my warranty, but I'm concerned with water being near the plug and the fact that it was damaged and I had to continue to drive it. I was 40 miles from the nearest dealer, which I stopped at on my way home and they said it was OK to drive.

Silk
Hi Silk,

If the Dealership had the capability, a Leak Down test would indicate if there was any significant damage. I doubt you hurt the motor, but the above test wold confirm. If done on all four cylinders, and the results are similar, all is well...if the offending cylinder shows more leakdown, then this indicates a problem and likely more remedial action necessary. This is not a compression test as the dynamic nature of compression cannot determine much but gross problems.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
They called this afternoon and said they were able to source the parts on short notice and performed the necessary installation. I just drove it 15 miles home and it's completely fixed.

The invoice says the following:
"When removing #1 coil to check for spark, found water intrusion into plug well causing short from plug and coil. Replaced coil #1 and plug #1." These issues were causing the engine to misfire.

I am concerned with how this happened in the first place. I do bucket wash my truck once every few weeks with a pressure nozzle, but I've never popped the hood and hosed the engine bay down. At least if it happens again, I'll know what the issue is.

Thanks to all for the replies and feedback.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
OK it sounds like your dealer fixed the issue. I would think that the shorting coil might have tripped a circuit breaker or relay to shut off the Radio. Hopefully this is over.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
OK it sounds like your dealer fixed the issue. I would think that the shorting coil might have tripped a circuit breaker or relay to shut off the Radio. Hopefully this is over.
Based on the drive home, I'd say it's fixed. Very happy with that dealer. That's an interesting thought on the circuit. I still don't know why it worked 90% of the trip. I am sure they get all kinds of issues like that brought in but you can't fix what you can't see broken, especially in software. I'm waiting for the new revision of 3.4 to be released that brings back my climate controls. If it's still broken now, I'm hoping that will fix it for good.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Also, in case anyone finds this in their search in the future - the code that threw the check engine light initially was P0301

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Glad to hear you got it all fixed up!

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I had this exact issue, took the dealership about 2 months to find the source(multiple) but in the end its was a harness defect. Though it took so long I'm glad they kept me updated throughout the progress, which I can't say for all mt past dealerships.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Wanted to post another update. After about 200 miles, the issue has completely disappeared. It was most definitely the coil and plug. I'm going to ask them to check it at my 10,000 mile service.

As far as the infotainment goes, it died on me again today. It seems as though it dies after 2.5-3.5 hours of use without an extended shut down cycle. I ran the truck for about an hour, then shut it off for an hour, then started it and drove another 2 hours or so and the infotainment went completely dead again. Black screen, USB ports dead/off. I shut the truck off at a stoplight and started it back up and Sync did not come back up. About 10 minutes later, I tried the Power+next button soft restart and it did come back up and was on for the remainder of my 45 minutes to home.

I'm going to wait until the new 3.4 comes out (fixing my climate) before taking it up to the dealer. I have a feeling it has to do with the current 3.4.20136, as I made a couple 4hr+ drives prior to that with 3.3 and had no issues. I have a feeling that dealers aren't great at troubleshooting tech issues and when you can't replicate it without a 3 hour drive, it's hard to tell them what to fix.

Kasheebo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL 2015 later model
Occupation
Film industry
Hi mate, did you get anywhere with your infotainment centre? I’m having a similar issue. Cheers

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director

Subieland

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Manager
Hi Silk,

If the Dealership had the capability, a Leak Down test would indicate if there was any significant damage. I doubt you hurt the motor, but the above test wold confirm. If done on all four cylinders, and the results are similar, all is well...if the offending cylinder shows more leakdown, then this indicates a problem and likely more remedial action necessary. This is not a compression test as the dynamic nature of compression cannot determine much but gross problems.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@P. A. Schilke

I have a issue with my 2019 Ranger XLT 81000kms.

was driving the truck and P0302 code popped Up. Pulled coil pack removed spark plug and found this. Took it to my mechanic and said it’s coolant in the cylinder.
Took the truck to ford in Canada and tech swapped coil 1 and 2. Misfire stayed with coil 2. Replaced spark plug. Truck returned. Same issue arose P0302. When looking at the cylinder after pulling the coil now I dont see any liquid.

ford dealership claims they can’t confirm liquid in the cylinder by my pictures or that it is coolant. Engine under warranty.
Hi Silk,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@P. A. Schilke

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with 81000km up in Canada.

was driving the truck and P0302 came on. Misfire cylinder 2. Took the truck to ford dealership and swapped coil and one 2. Misfire did not follow. Changed spark plug. Truck returned!

2 days later driving the truck same error code P0302. My mechanic removed the coil and spark and noticed the liquid which he stated was “coolant” and it needs to be taken to ford.

the coolant was at max when the truck was driven the first time the code appeared. Truck has only been driven 400kms since first code and second time after being serviced

what can I do as this is now the second time taking it to the dealer. They said they cannot confirm that by the picture that it is cylinder 2 or that it is coolant.

any help would Be appreciated
IMG_2296.png
IMG_2203.png
IMG_44501.jpeg
IMG_2276.png
IMG_2278.png
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2278.png

IMG_2303.jpeg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
@P. A. Schilke

I have a issue with my 2019 Ranger XLT 81000kms.

was driving the truck and P0302 code popped Up. Pulled coil pack removed spark plug and found this. Took it to my mechanic and said it’s coolant in the cylinder.
Took the truck to ford in Canada and tech swapped coil 1 and 2. Misfire stayed with coil 2. Replaced spark plug. Truck returned. Same issue arose P0302. When looking at the cylinder after pulling the coil now I dont see any liquid.

ford dealership claims they can’t confirm liquid in the cylinder by my pictures or that it is coolant. Engine under warranty.

@P. A. Schilke

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with 81000km up in Canada.

was driving the truck and P0302 came on. Misfire cylinder 2. Took the truck to ford dealership and swapped coil and one 2. Misfire did not follow. Changed spark plug. Truck returned!

2 days later driving the truck same error code P0302. My mechanic removed the coil and spark and noticed the liquid which he stated was “coolant” and it needs to be taken to ford.

the coolant was at max when the truck was driven the first time the code appeared. Truck has only been driven 400kms since first code and second time after being serviced

what can I do as this is now the second time taking it to the dealer. They said they cannot confirm that by the picture that it is cylinder 2 or that it is coolant.

any help would Be appreciated
IMG_2296.png
IMG_2203.png
IMG_44501.jpeg
IMG_2276.png
IMG_2278.png
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2278.png

IMG_2303.jpeg
Phil's not a tech, he's a retired Ford engineer. You need to get a service department to look at that in person.

Subieland

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Manager
Phil's not a tech, he's a retired Ford engineer. You need to get a service department to look at that in person.

It’s been looked at by a ford tech. Changed the spark plug. Same issues!

I also know he’s a retired engineer. Was just inquiring if he knew of any help that could be passed along to myself with this matter!
Sponsored