First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Maybe just a glitch. Hopefully all good from here on out.
Yesterday coming home from work my truck started hesitating and lost power. It popped up warnings for the pre collision system not functioning and sent this to my phone. As soon as I limped it home I reset everything to the factory tune and it's been fine since. I was running the SCT 91 octane tune (using 93 octane gas) for 1000 miles with no issues and then my truck went nuts. I still have no idea what happened but it definitely freaked me out. I'm going to take a 150 mile trip tomorrow to make sure it's ok. I'm starting to think I'll need a custom tune or I'll just have to leave it alone. I miss the extra power already.

Screenshot_2020-03-12-20-32-31-736_com.ford.fordpass.jpg
Sponsored

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
After 1,000 miles I have had only one issue and it was about 300 miles ago. It has not happened again but here is the story.

I was getting on the interstate and mashed the gas. Doing about 35 on the on ramp I mashed the gas, 85-90% throttle. The truck bogged down, like limp mode, and would not accelerate. It did this for just a split second. I immediately lifted off the gas, waited a second or two then pushed the gas about 50%. Truck accelerated with no issues.

It has not done it again and I have done several 90-100% throttle pulls. At the time I thought that was odd but chalked it up to one of those things until last night when I was using the Hypertech to program for tire size.

It had a DTC code of P061A, the same code mentioned earlier in this thread. A quick search reveals that code is:

"When a code P061A is stored, it means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an internal performance error in the engine torque monitoring system."

I cleared the code, programmed for tire size, and all has been good. At the end of the weekend, I will see if the code comes back.

Anyone have any other experience with this DTC code?

I am going to make a thread dedicated to this DTC code.

Last edited:

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Look like I had the same issue but it self corrected pretty much immediately.
Yesterday coming home from work my truck started hesitating and lost power. It popped up warnings for the pre collision system not functioning and sent this to my phone. As soon as I limped it home I reset everything to the factory tune and it's been fine since. I was running the SCT 91 octane tune (using 93 octane gas) for 1000 miles with no issues and then my truck went nuts. I still have no idea what happened but it definitely freaked me out. I'm going to take a 150 mile trip tomorrow to make sure it's ok. I'm starting to think I'll need a custom tune or I'll just have to leave it alone. I miss the extra power already.

Screenshot_2020-03-12-20-32-31-736_com.ford.fordpass.jpg

bigDedition

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 1997 Ford F150
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Any noticeable MPG changes?

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I just adjusted for tire size difference last night so not enough miles yet to determine MPG change. With the speedo so off, I did not pay any attention to the MPG.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
No issues with my Unleashed tune, on both 87, 93 performance tunes, no PCM codes or anything out of the ordinary. Gas mileage has stayed the same as stock at 19.5 City

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I ran mine stock for a week or so and then put the SCT 87 octane tune in and it didn't last a day. It went into limp mode until I put the stock tune in again. I have a drop in air filter and a muffler delete, I wouldn't think they would affect it that much but that might be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I ran mine stock for a week or so and then put the SCT 87 octane tune in and it didn't last a day. It went into limp mode until I put the stock tune in again. I have a drop in air filter and a muffler delete, I wouldn't think they would affect it that much but that might be it.
I have a K+N drop in filter and muffler Delete...runs like a dream..you need to record some data and send it to Torrie..
Regards

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I have a K+N drop in filter and muffler Delete...runs like a dream..you need to record some data and send it to Torrie..
Regards
I don't have a tune from them and right now money is tight after spending thousands of dollars on my house. It's gonna have to stay stock till other priorities are covered.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I ordered the SCT BDX box directly from Unleashed with the extra charge built in for a custom tune from Torrie. Unleashed is telling me to take the initial readings with 93 Octane gas even though I will likely continue to run 89 because of the cost. I'm hoping the resulting tune doesn't result in the engine running lean or not providing optimal performance. If SCT has a variety of octane tunes built in I just wonder if Torrie can do a better job for me if I use the gas I intend to buy long term?

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the SCT BDX box directly from Unleashed with the extra charge built in for a custom tune from Torrie. Unleashed is telling me to take the initial readings with 93 Octane gas even though I will likely continue to run 89 because of the cost. I'm hoping the resulting tune doesn't result in the engine running lean or not providing optimal performance. If SCT has a variety of octane tunes built in I just wonder if Torrie can do a better job for me if I use the gas I intend to buy long term?
Dunno, Iwould tell him your intentions and follow his instructions, make sure you have 93 only in there with no mix. He an then he will work your tune off of that. I see you have a lot of performance parts on your avatar..so he will have to customize your tune..
Regards

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
If your going to tune may as well just run the 91/93 octane, more potential with the tune. Gotta pay to play I suppose. I have both a 87 and 93 performance calibration and there is quite a difference between the two.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.