Save Battery Message

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Thanks for the link...no lights? I like lights...
I'm not into bling except at Xmas , I think it has a single red led, I tucked mine under the space about the headlights in front of the battery , didn't bother to hard mount it and it's out of sight.
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Why can't I find this for sale anywhere?
Sid,
Not sure about the current sale prices but at the time I got mine the best price (82.99 with shipping) was at VDC Electronics, Inc: https://www.batteryminders.com/
I usually ask about a 1st time order discount and sometimes get it, but can't remember if I got it from them or not.

Last edited:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
buy the pulse tech - less than half that price, I think mine was $34 and yes it works.
I do not believe the pulse tech ever stops the desulfation process. This will lead to low battery voltage if your auto sits for any amount of time. The BM only desulfates when the battery is being charged. Please correct me if I am misinformed. Back when I researched this it was a true statement.

FWIW, the only two brands that I have found to work are the Pulse tech and the Batteryminder. Pulse tech works well for temporary usage, but I would not leave it attached long term to a battery that is not on a float charger.

I have gone to using the BM 1.5A-2A wall wort chargers for my long term batteries. I have several 1200 pound magnetic locks that are battery backed up. I use large 12V AGM deep discharge batteries to bridge power outages. The batteries are all at least 10 years old (probably closer to 15 yrs,) and still holding a good charge. The system is set up to run off the batteries full time, but the batteries are being constantly monitored and charged with those BM desulfating wall wart chargers. There is a small drain to run the modules that control the magnetic locks, but it is trivial to what the locks themselves draw, and they are constantly on in the locked mode. They only unlock for 30 seconds, then relock.

When you are not around your remote property often enough, it is necessary to have a robust deterent system in place. Cameras, alarm systems, steel doors and strong locks. No successful breaches in over 15 years, but not immune from the occasional attempts.

I have also just installed 4 cheap "always on" desulfators on 4 battery backup units in my home that support my wired ethenet network and synology server banks. They are always on, and the units stay plugged in. I'll know soon enough if battery life increases. These backup units use 2 - 12/9AH batteries in series and have historically had short lives due to the cheap charging systems typically found in battery backup units. I usually replace the batteries at 3 yr intervals. And internal resistance is extremely high when the batteries come out of the systems - 500-700 milli Ohms. Normal range for these batteries is 18-20 milli Ohms when new. If these fail to do the job (I think they will, but I am hoping for the best) I will switch them out for 24v BM onboard desulfators. The 4 chinese knockoffs combined cost less than 1 BM unit so the worse case scenario is I will be replacing batteries again in 3 years, and buying the BM units to replace the Chinese knockoffs.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I do not believe the pulse tech ever stops the desulfation process. This will lead to low battery voltage if your auto sits for any amount of time. The BM only desulfates when the battery is being charged. Please correct me if I am misinformed. Back when I researched this it was a true statement.

FWIW, the only two brands that I have found to work are the Pulse tech and the Batteryminder. Pulse tech works well for temporary usage, but I would not leave it attached long term to a battery that is not on a float charger.

I have gone to using the BM 1.5A-2A wall wort chargers for my long term batteries. I have several 1200 pound magnetic locks that are battery backed up. I use large 12V AGM deep discharge batteries to bridge power outages. The batteries are all at least 10 years old (probably closer to 15 yrs,) and still holding a good charge. The system is set up to run off the batteries full time, but the batteries are being constantly monitored and charged with those BM desulfating wall wart chargers. There is a small drain to run the modules that control the magnetic locks, but it is trivial to what the locks themselves draw, and they are constantly on in the locked mode. They only unlock for 30 seconds, then relock.

When you are not around your remote property often enough, it is necessary to have a robust deterent system in place. Cameras, alarm systems, steel doors and strong locks. No successful breaches in over 15 years, but not immune from the occasional attempts.

I have also just installed 4 cheap "always on" desulfators on 4 battery backup units in my home that support my wired ethenet network and synology server banks. They are always on, and the units stay plugged in. I'll know soon enough if battery life increases. These backup units use 2 - 12/9AH batteries in series and have historically had short lives due to the cheap charging systems typically found in battery backup units. I usually replace the batteries at 3 yr intervals. And internal resistance is extremely high when the batteries come out of the systems - 500-700 milli Ohms. Normal range for these batteries is 18-20 milli Ohms when new. If these fail to do the job (I think they will, but I am hoping for the best) I will switch them out for 24v BM onboard desulfators. The 4 chinese knockoffs combined cost less than 1 BM unit so the worse case scenario is I will be replacing batteries again in 3 years, and buying the BM units to replace the Chinese knockoffs.
you are correct - PulseTech is constantly on, the instruction set cautions that it should be used for vehicles driven on a regular basis, doesn't quantify how much of a drain but states it is small and should be disconnected if vehicle is parked for an extended period. To that end I have installed an inline switch to disable it.

Battery Minder is to PulseTech what Cadillac is to a VW Beetle , the main thing is that both do work and for the money are a reasonable investment, esp when the vehicle or battery is new as it will extend the life of the battery, sometimes greatly.

I bought a chinese made agm battery figuring the 2019 Ranger battery might be dying soon but thus far it's holding up , so I might add the chinese agm as a 2nd battery on my travel trailer.

And lest I forget to mention - best to disable the BMS.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
you are correct - PulseTech is constantly on, the instruction set cautions that it should be used for vehicles driven on a regular basis, doesn't quantify how much of a drain but states it is small and should be disconnected if vehicle is parked for an extended period. To that end I have installed an inline switch to disable it.

Battery Minder is to PulseTech what Cadillac is to a VW Beetle , the main thing is that both do work and for the money are a reasonable investment, esp when the vehicle or battery is new as it will extend the life of the battery, sometimes greatly.

I bought a chinese made agm battery figuring the 2019 Ranger battery might be dying soon but thus far it's holding up , so I might add the chinese agm as a 2nd battery on my travel trailer.

And lest I forget to mention - best to disable the BMS.
We are on the same page!
Sponsored