First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
I’ve read a few things about the battery insulation on our rangers. Some good, some bad. Well I got my new 19 ranger today and when I looked under the hood the blanket is completely blow out, there’s fibers sticking up everywhere. My question is, since I got it from the dealer today, should I ask for a replacement m, or just take it off and pitch it? I live in Virginia so it doesn’t get terribly cold but can get pretty hot in the summers. Thanks!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read a few things about the battery insulation on our rangers. Some good, some bad. Well I got my new 19 ranger today and when I looked under the hood the blanket is completely blow out, there’s fibers sticking up everywhere. My question is, since I got it from the dealer today, should I ask for a replacement m, or just take it off and pitch it? I live in Virginia so it doesn’t get terribly cold but can get pretty hot in the summers. Thanks!
Hi Andrew,

Not understanding why the blanket is there might lead you to believe the solution is deleting this blanket. I do not recommend doing this. Have the dealer replace the blanket. The vehicles are tested in environments from -40° to 120°F. If the battery instrumentation during testing dictates insulating the battery, the it is necessary for battery life. Your assumption of where you live may not be the reason due to proximity to the motor for example and deletion of the blanket might hasten battery failure. Replace or leave well enough alone is my recommendation.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

PONR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
Thanks Phil. I think I’ll call my salesman tomorrow and ask them to send me a new blanket that doesn’t look like the dog chewed on it.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I also found my battery blanket/insulator chewed up. Turns out a mouse made a little nest in the blanket/insulator and chewed some wires. Check the wires around the battery to make sure they don't have teeth marks in them. I think the blanket/insulator is around 50 dollars, if the dealer wont give you one. Just be sure not to be a dummy like me and disconnect the positive terminal first when removing the battery :headbang:

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I second Phil's input.
Sponsored