Help me decide between Ranger and F150

Oxfordcc

First Name
James D. Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Test drove and got numbers on two trucks last night. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but I think this is pretty close:

2019 F150 XLT 4WD extended cab, 6.5 bed, 3.3L 6 speed auto, Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Running boards
3.73 locking diff
approx. $33,000

2019 Ranger XLT crew cab 4WD Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Sport appearance package
Running boards
approx. $35,000

I really like both trucks, but as I've read many comments here, the F150 is soooo big. I think I'd be able to fit in my garage, barely, if I rearrange some work benches, etc. I do like the cavernous interior and the the large bed.

The ranger has more bells and whistles, and I like the powertrain and how it handles. Nice to have a more compact package - more manageable. I live in the frozen north, and the truck will be used for typical suburban homeowner stuff, commuting, and towing a small enclosed trailer with a Harley in it when I need to get away from here in the winter.

Seems a little strange that the bigger truck is cheaper, I imagine Ford wants to maintain its sales leadership in full size trucks. I assume people here will say Ranger, but please give me a reasoned argument why I should pay more for that truck. I appreciate the feedback.

Oxfordcc

First Name
James D. Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Here is my truck from almost a year ago, my truck is the STX model with the split cab not the four door. I have added the running boards myself after market along with the bedliner and tonneau cover aftermarket also. I did have the 2015 STX F150 before which I traded in for this Ranger. The F150 is great if you have a large trailer or carrying a lot of weight around. It was just to bad for my daily usage. The new Ranger is a great towing truck along with great gas mileage. If I was to make one change now for the winter it would be in the tires. I like the Goodyear Wrangler brand tires from the F150 and the bridgestone tires have not been the best in snow as I would like. Maybe going with a winter tire would help. It looks like you have done the research and have come up with some good and bad from each, good luck with you new truck whatever it may be, Go Ranger.

DSCN2563.JPG

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Explorer Platinum
I can honestly say that this is a vehicle that I will purchase again without hesitation. The truck drives great, has more than enough power and stays above 22 MPG. I also enjoy the fact that there I never confuse my truck for another one in the parking lot, F-150’s are a dime a dozen. They are both great trucks but with an investment this big I would consider the ride enjoyment, garage accommodation, comfort, realistic need of bed size with the value.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I had the same problems choosing between the 2 vehicles. What drove me to the Ranger was I don't need a big truck. I have a small trailer that I tow my HD on, also own a boat and find myself needing to carry in the bed.

The Ranger does it without breaking a sweat and still gives me 23 mpg. As a bonus it fits in just about every parking space I've found.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Still doesn't answer the question. haha
Let's just say that in the fog of war, "We saw some things man, we did some things". :captain:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name