Rust - The Dealers Problem or My Problem?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Appreciate it. Didn’t know if I should be worried. Out here it’s always perceived as rust = bad. So from what folks are saying here, it’s not good per se but there are some things I can do about it.
Correct. That's not the kind of rust you have to worry about. If you get any on the sheetmetal then that's a different story. Ford has been known for years to skimp on the seam sealer so keep an eye on the bottom seams on the doors and tailgate. On my 99 Ranger I had the dealer sandblast the tailgate seam and reseal it and on my 02 Ranger do the same to the tailgate and one door, all on warranty. No issues on the two Sport Tracs I had.
Sponsored

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It can be the companies problem but not usually. I had my Tacoma recalled for rust. Mine was minor so I got a very heavy tacky undercoating. In major issues Tacoma owners got a whole new frame!

There are aftermarket undercoatings you can apply yourself if you are truely worried about it, in but Cali I'd think you'd be ok unless really close to ocean.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
It can be the companies problem but not usually. I had my Tacoma recalled for rust. Mine was minor so I got a very heavy tacky undercoating. In major issues Tacoma owners got a whole new frame!

There are aftermarket undercoatings you can apply yourself if you are truely worried about it, in but Cali I'd think you'd be ok unless really close to ocean.
I heard about the Tacoma issue. Pretty crazy. I'm about 20 minutes east from the ocean. I may just do the coating so I don't have to look at it. Just need to research options for coatings.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Yeah, your probably right. Figure I’d end up doing it myself anyway since I’m OCD like that and don’t trust most folks to work on my vehicles unless I really know them well. I’ll hit it with a brush and an inhibitor and call it a day.
I hear ya, I am the same way. I may get my truck filthy over a weekend of off-roading, but when I get back I clean the hell out of it. I'm OCD also. Like it was mentioned above, I would just do it myself and make sure it gets done right. Make a day of it. Crack some beers open, put some music on, and brush away.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I heard about the Tacoma issue. Pretty crazy. I'm about 20 minutes east from the ocean. I may just do the coating so I don't have to look at it. Just need to research options for coatings.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hear ya, I am the same way. I may get my truck filthy over a weekend of off-roading, but when I get back I clean the hell out of it. I'm OCD also. Like it was mentioned above, I would just do it myself and make sure it gets done right. Make a day of it. Crack some beers open, put some music on, and brush away.
That'll be the plan! Thanks for the video too, I'll check it out :thumbsup:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yeah I used to live right by the beach in NJ and had exhausts fall off, brake hard lines spring a leak, it really kills cars.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Yeah, your probably right. Figure I’d end up doing it myself anyway since I’m OCD like that and don’t trust most folks to work on my vehicles unless I really know them well. I’ll hit it with a brush and an inhibitor and call it a day.
You should change your forum name to OCDJoyride! :) Ok, this is post #26, lets see how far we can go answering the original question! LOL

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You should change your forum name to OCDJoyride! :) Ok, this is post #26, lets see how far we can go answering the original question! LOL
Yes! OCDJoyride is about right. My initial question was original at least:LOL:...I think

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Looks like my truck and I'm in WA where there is very little corrosion on vehicles. If you're worried about it, get a few cans of fluid film and spray it on the underside of your truck. I wouldn't be too worried about it and I don't think the dealer will do anything.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well, a good coat of rust—on the surface—is a good thing. Otherwise, nada.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not going to suggest what to do, but I am in Missouri & the under side of my truck don't look like that. See attached photo of front drive shaft.
Edit: Almost 31,000 Smiles

DSCN8189.JPG

Last edited:

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
My previous truck was a Tacoma and it had the frame rust issue. In fact the whole underbody had visible surface rust as it spent its former life in Minnesota. But I declined the factory frame replacement after I read some of the dealer related horror stories. On advice from a friend I bought a gallon of this stuff:
https://images.app.goo.gl/a4M2Y5oq8kTPKCCt8
I never cleaned or wire brushed anything I just spritzed it on any visible rust with a spray bottle. Trade named ospho it neutralizes the rust and turns it black. I owned the truck another 3 years and the rust never returned or spread.
Sponsored