Rust - The Dealers Problem or My Problem?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
There are multiple areas but here are a few pictures I took:
Regarding last two pictures: The corrosion on the control arm might cause more rapid oxidation of the rubber bushing. If you are doing suspension work, you might replace these parts sooner than later, so it might not be of too much concern. The last picture where the swaybar links fit through the spindle/knuckle: I’m glad there is no corrosion inside. This is an area that will constantly be exposed to moisture. I would loosen up the swaybar links and check that annually. The rest of it, while unsightly, isn’t too concerning.
Sponsored

patipton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
That is just surface rust
I live in Ohio and that is nothing to worry about if it bothers you have the truck undercoated that is what I did right away plus it blacked out everything underneath

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Regarding last two pictures: The corrosion on the control arm might cause more rapid oxidation of the rubber bushing. If you are doing suspension work, you might replace these parts sooner than later, so it might not be of too much concern. The last picture where the swaybar links fit through the spindle/knuckle: I’m glad there is no corrosion inside. This is an area that will constantly be exposed to moisture. I would loosen up the swaybar links and check that annually. The rest of it, while unsightly, isn’t too concerning.
Thanks! Appreciate the advice.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor

Sounds like some mods are in order :devil:. That's what you came to these forums for, right? ?

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like some mods are in order :devil:. That's what you came to these forums for, right? ?
I know! My truck is even peer pressuring me :LOL:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I had a lot of similar light rust on my 14 F150, never really thought about it but underside of my ranger is clean no rust spots noticed -- its a 20 and I live in the Dallas tx area fwiw...... hey that reminds me, whatever happened to that 'undercoating' stuff they used to sell on cars??? - it was like a black tarry spray applied under the car that was supposed to deaden sound and protect from rust???? ya Im old this was back in the 80 and 90s but haven't seen or heard about it in a long time it was a thing the dealers tried to sell on new cars to --- prevent rust.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a lot of similar light rust on my 14 F150, never really thought about it but underside of my ranger is clean no rust spots noticed -- its a 20 and I live in the Dallas tx area fwiw...... hey that reminds me, whatever happened to that 'undercoating' stuff they used to sell on cars??? - it was like a black tarry spray applied under the car that was supposed to deaden sound and protect from rust???? ya Im old this was back in the 80 and 90s but haven't seen or heard about it in a long time it was a thing the dealers tried to sell on new cars to --- prevent rust.
Actually, I believe RAM still treats the underside but most don't these days.

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
CV axles, driveshafts, and exposed metal are common surface rust points on vehicles. And it doesn’t take long for it to form. Look at your brake rotors after it rains; you’re likely to see oxidation on them.
I have a 2019 Lariat and the drive shafts and other parts mentioned are painted.
Sponsored