First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Field Service Engineer - Medical Imaging
Yeah I had the same issue. Still solid after a 1000 miles including a pretty crazy snow storm a few weeks ago. I meant to contact rsi to see if they sent the wrong brackets but never got around to it.
Not sure if this will help but I have smart cap with decked installed. For the wiring I used LEER part # 300200, also # 300201. It was plug and play and provided complete isolation for third brake light and LED lighting, and did not cause any issues with warning systems.

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Occupation
Engineer
Anybody on here use wider load bars than the RSI ones? I'm curious how wide they could be before interfering with the side doors opening. Looks like the RSI load bars for the Ranger are 45" wide. I was hoping to run wider ones from FrontRunner. I'm stuck waiting for more EVOa caps to arrive so just trying to plan out the set-up for now.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Just watched a bunch of longer term user reviews on YouTube. Running theme is that they leak in the connection seams, windows, hatches, latches and dust suppressing intake, most were unpleased for $4000. Different experiences here? I was sort of considering... not really due to price and wait times... but really not sure now.

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
Anybody on here use wider load bars than the RSI ones? I'm curious how wide they could be before interfering with the side doors opening. Looks like the RSI load bars for the Ranger are 45" wide. I was hoping to run wider ones from FrontRunner. I'm stuck waiting for more EVOa caps to arrive so just trying to plan out the set-up for now.
I just installed the 1165mm (45.9 in) bars from Front Runner. With the doors up there’s about another 3 inches of clearance on each side from the end of the bar to the door. Their 1255mm bars (49.4 in) should fit with the bars centered.
A06642D7-49D6-473D-B5D8-9F7C9CC1E6FA.jpeg

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Just watched a bunch of longer term user reviews on YouTube. Running theme is that they leak in the connection seams, windows, hatches, latches and dust suppressing intake, most were unpleased for $4000. Different experiences here? I was sort of considering... not really due to price and wait times... but really not sure now.
The only leak I had was at the slide window but it was fixed- the original gasket was torn. The seam leaks could be due to improper torquing…. Since it’s up to an owner or a shop to put it together, I wouldn’t fault the manufacturer unless they followed the instructions perfectly (which most people don’t).
Maybe you can snag a used one if enough people dislike it….

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Occupation
Engineer
I just installed the 1165mm (45.9 in) bars from Front Runner. With the doors up there’s about another 3 inches of clearance on each side from the end of the bar to the door. Their 1255mm bars (49.4 in) should fit with the bars centered.
A06642D7-49D6-473D-B5D8-9F7C9CC1E6FA.jpeg
That’s exactly the kind of view I was looking for, thank you very much! I might just be able to fit the tent and the awning up there but it will be close.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Mind can go through the car wash and get some water in the top vent. But those can be plugged. Not enough to concern me though. Everything else tight
C1426714-0F75-4035-BFAF-86082083BA5F.jpeg

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
That’s exactly the kind of view I was looking for, thank you very much! I might just be able to fit the tent and the awning up there but it will be close.
No problem! If you need me to take any more measurements just let me know. I’m very pleased with the quality of the Front Runner load bars. I can’t speak to any differences between the RSI ones, but the FR bars work and match perfect with the cap.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I've had mine over a year. No leaks. If it leaks, someone put it together or on truck wrong

OP
OP
OffroadAlliance

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
We actually just did a post last week about suggested maintenance for the Smartcaps that sometimes can be overlooked which could potentially be what is leading to some of these experiences. If you regularly tighten assembly block bolts up every few months you shouldn't have any leaking issues. I'd say the leak problems are outliers vs the common experience with these caps. If installed 100% properly, you should not have any issues.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...enance-keep-your-cap-happy-and-healthy.19014/

Arsenal741

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Project Lead
Can the RSI Smartcap be mounted to a bed that is using a drop in plastic liner? Looking at some fo the bracket mounting it seems that could be an issue and you may have to cut out a decent chunk of the liner to accommodate.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Can the RSI Smartcap be mounted to a bed that is using a drop in plastic liner? Looking at some fo the bracket mounting it seems that could be an issue and you may have to cut out a decent chunk of the liner to accommodate.
Might have to do some light modifications to the bed liner.

Fx4ranger2019Larait

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Larait
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Don’t have issues with it leaking but I do periodically tighten hardware. Like any aftermarket mod just part of regular maintenance not a big deal. Recently purchased lights and wired them up with wolf haus 12v power for bed. For those interested here’s a few links. The lighting made a huge improvement can’t wait to camping now.

https://whor.us/store

https://mattgeckoleds.com/shop/ols/products/rsi-smart-cap-led-light-kit-with-bed-mounted-switch

IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0242.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0237.jpeg

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

I can't imagine there would be an issue with the plastic liner. It mounts to the same place as the tie downs, so... They should be just fine.
Sponsored