Rostra Cruise Control - Any experiences?

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Looked at the install manual for an F150, did not see Ranger, and saw below. Just something to be aware of if you’re running any kind of two way radios.

WARNING: DO NOT USE HAND-HELD 2-WAY TRANSCEIVERS INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING.
WHEN TRANSMITTING FROM INSIDE THE CAR, 2-WAY RADIOS THAT OPERATE IN THE 25MHZ- 700MHZ FREQUENCY RANGE WITH MORE THAN 2.0 WATTS OF POWER CAN PRODUCE ELEC- TROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE THAT COULD INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF CRUISE AND THROTTLE CONTROLS RESULTING IN VEHICLE "LIMP MODE".
USE OF CELLULAR PHONES WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THESE CONTROLS.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Cruise control is an option in 2022?! How about power brakes, AC, heat and powered windows? ?
My JK Sport is a manual, manual windows, no infotainment/screens, and I paid to have AC added :D

Will check out CPO in my area, but a preliminary search showed nothing I liked. So far, I'm slowly talking myself into a Rostra

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Looked at the install manual for an F150, did not see Ranger, and saw below. Just something to be aware of if you’re running any kind of two way radios.

WARNING: DO NOT USE HAND-HELD 2-WAY TRANSCEIVERS INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING.
WHEN TRANSMITTING FROM INSIDE THE CAR, 2-WAY RADIOS THAT OPERATE IN THE 25MHZ- 700MHZ FREQUENCY RANGE WITH MORE THAN 2.0 WATTS OF POWER CAN PRODUCE ELEC- TROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE THAT COULD INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF CRUISE AND THROTTLE CONTROLS RESULTING IN VEHICLE "LIMP MODE".
USE OF CELLULAR PHONES WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THESE CONTROLS.
Hmm, this seems to include CB, regular walky-talky things, and GMRS. I don't really use these much, other than offroad in my Jeep, but I did want to use the Ranger to tow the Jeep to the trails. Guess I could live without it.

Edit: There is 1 CPO 4x4 XL 101A within 75 miles of me. Unfortunately, it has the Chrome Package (Bleh) and no Rear Locker. Guess I could live without it and install an ARB and new gear, but that costs 5x the factory e-locker option, since I believe ford welded the ring gears on, so I'd have to get a new carrier and gears.

Last edited:

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
No what I am saying is that when the vehicle goes down hill it appears like the transmission goes into neutral and the engine revs higher.
Not sure why you think I would want the vehicle to go faster?
Well I don't know maybe because you said "engine seems to rev and not go faster" What do you want to go faster, engine or the vehicle?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
No what I am saying is that when the vehicle goes down hill it appears like the transmission goes into neutral and the engine revs higher.
Not sure why you think I would want the vehicle to go faster?
The engine revs higher because it dropped down one or more gears. Tap the +/- button on the gear shift to reveal the gear# indicator on the left of your display. You can see what gear it is in, and see it change gears up or down. You can also press the - side to keep it from shifting higher, tapping down to the gear you want to lock out. I often do this in 30-35mph zones to hold it from going any higher the 6. Other wise it goes into 7 and drones.

Edit:
Never mind, I just saw your JK is a manual. But if you get a Ranger, this is why it will rev higher on hills.

Addendum:
If you bought the CPO w/ chrome pkg etc, you listed all the things you would want to change, which would probably be largely offset by ordering a 2023 XLT 300A (base pkg)- std cruise

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
The engine revs higher because it dropped down one or more gears. Tap the +/- button on the gear shift to reveal the gear# indicator on the left of your display. You can see what gear it is in, and see it change gears up or down. You can also press the - side to keep it from shifting higher, tapping down to the gear you want to lock out. I often do this in 30-35mph zones to hold it from going any higher the 6. Other wise it goes into 7 and drones.

Edit:
Never mind, I just saw your JK is a manual. But if you get a Ranger, this is why it will rev higher on hills.

Addendum:
If you bought the CPO w/ chrome pkg etc, you listed all the things you would want to change, which would probably be largely offset by ordering a 2023 XLT 300A (base pkg)- std cruise

You may be mixing up mine and rcairflr's posts haha, pretty sure he has the escape with the Rostra and CC on my JK works normally, and I'd hope on the ranger it will downshift to go up a hill :crackup: .

Well, you guys have helped me convince myself, I'm going to put in an order for the XL100A and I'll just add in the Rostra myself. I'dd use weatherpack connectors or something similar to install the wires, so it can be easily removed.
For anyone wondering, I did ask Rostra if their CC will be impacted by a trailer brake controller (not that I believed it would), and they confirmed that there would be no issue.
So, for the time being, unless 101A comes off commodity hold before my truck is scheduled, I'll be getting the XL100A and installing the Rostra Cruise Control.
Sponsored