Rock Sliders

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew
Did you order the angled sliders or the ones that stick straight out like a running board / step?

Also, did you notice the White Knuckle Offroad mounting bracketry hangs down below the frame?

Once installed you don't have anything hanging lower than the frame on the Shrockworks.... that's kind of a "pivotal" :giggle: thing for rocksliders.

The White Knuckle Offroad mounting design relies on friction to hold the slider in place. Their Installation Instruction say to "simply lift one end of the slider" to adjust for an even gap between the truck and the slider, then tighten all the bolts. So.... that's great for a step, but what happens if you actually are sliding on rocks?

Opinions vary and all this may be just fine based on how you'll use your truck. My goal here is to merely point out some concerns in the event other folks are comparing designs and trying to choose what's best for their truck.

Shrockworks

004B.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White Knuckle Offroad

White Knuckle Offroad Sliders.jpg
there was something gnawing at me about this hanging below the frame .... like there was already something doing that. . I went and looked and the skid plate under the driver's seat sticks down quite a bit. Without measures, it seems at least equal to what the above pic suggests - and maybe a bit more. (again, just with eyeballing it). It is only one point on the frame, but it is below the frame. Just noticing.
Sponsored

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I used my rocksliders for the first time for real this weekend. Glad I have ones that bolt on. I have the shrockworks and can say I highly recommend. They are solid. 3 bolts per side and only 1 hole to drill. I would buy them again.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
there was something gnawing at me about this hanging below the frame .... like there was already something doing that. . I went and looked and the skid plate under the driver's seat sticks down quite a bit. Without measures, it seems at least equal to what the above pic suggests - and maybe a bit more. (again, just with eyeballing it). It is only one point on the frame, but it is below the frame. Just noticing.
That's the transfer case skid plate. I agree... kind of silly having the skid plate hang down like that.

One item hanging down however isn't really a good excuse for adding 4 more, is it?

Transfer Case Skid Plate.JPG

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the transfer case skid plate. I agree... kind of silly having the skid plate hang down like that.

One item hanging down however isn't really a good excuse for adding 4 more, is it?

Transfer Case Skid Plate.JPG
Agreed. Not necessarily making a case for it ... again just something i was remembering but couldn't place till i looked.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
All good thoughts but those factory things that hang down would still have some ability to slide. If there was a rock on the frame before the mount points, would it damage the mounting point or not let the vehicle move forward. Don't know if it would matter, just thinking through it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
All good thoughts but those factory things that hang down would still have some ability to slide. If there was a rock on the frame before the mount points, would it damage the mounting point or not let the vehicle move forward. Don't know if it would matter, just thinking through it.
I'm looking forward to Mustang2Ranger installing them and letting us know how they fit. I'm wondering if the slider itself will impact the cab in the full up position on one end, and full down on the other.

The mounting arrangement, at 1st impression, looks questionable. Relying on friction, when the 2 components are smooth painted steel, and there is no locating bolt, boss, hub, etc. isn't ideal.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking forward to Mustang2Ranger installing them and letting us know how they fit. I'm wondering if the slider itself will impact the cab in the full up position on one end, and full down on the other.

The mounting arrangement, at 1st impression, looks questionable. Relying on friction, when the 2 components are smooth painted steel, and there is no locating bolt, boss, hub, etc. isn't ideal.
Agreed, look forward to seeing the installation and first hand impression of the system. Maybe placing a jack under the slider to if there is any flex

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Agreed, look forward to seeing the installation and first hand impression of the system. Maybe placing a jack under the slider to if there is any flex
That would be a start, then jack directly under one of the mounting points to simulate a rock hung up on it and see if the bracket holds it location or slides upward.

The reason I say it's a start is a static load will be less than an actual impact.

Interestingly the White Knuckle Off-Road sliders for other vehicles look very similar to the Shrockworks style used for 2019/2020 Rangers.... for instance these on an older 4-Runner: a review: white knuckle off-road rock sliders. but here's a video of a newer 4-Runner with the under the frame style attachments: My White-Knuckle Offroad sliders

Last edited:

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not seeing any Memorial Day sales on sliders. I may check into some local Colorado fabricators. There's a couple that are well reviewed.

Bthomas5456

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Does anyone have installed the N-fab rtk rails? Im looking for the single bar look. Its between the RTK and the rocky road sliders.
Sponsored