JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Hey all
just took a 3000 mile journey in my new 1 month old Ranger from FL to NY and back have some thoughts and questions, so my highway mileage started off at 20 and gradually got better and the best i saw was 24 averaged about 23.5 using 93 octane if anyone was curious truck has about 4000 miles on it now. Seems like you could go about 400 miles a tank on the highway

Truck rode fairly well for having the Bridgestone All terrain tires had the air set to 30 psi seats were comfortable Shifted as expected, kicked down and boosted up fairly quickly when power was needed for overtaking and climbing grades. Only had 1 issue with the collision avoidance detection system that became non operational due to overnight frost in NC

I've got the leer folding tonneau cover which made a flapping noise at 65-75 from the overhanging seal at the bulkhead, i had previously used the butyl tape and stuck down the corners, and tested for this noise prior to the trip. I guess my efforts were not good enough,. i used painters tape to temporarily fix it for now as a side note it rained for about 20 hours of the 24 hour journey on the way back and no water leaks

Issues:
Excessive wind noise from what seems like the rear doors on my crew cab, any known issues or spots i can check?
Part throttle, if you let off the pedal completely feel like a slight buck or jerk not a smooth transition all i could think of is the DV valve closing or the transmission programming needs to be updated was going to ask the dealer to look at it during my first oil change.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Issues:
Excessive wind noise from what seems like the rear doors on my crew cab, any known issues or spots i can check?
Part throttle, if you let off the pedal completely feel like a slight buck or jerk not a smooth transition all i could think of is the DV valve closing or the transmission programming needs to be updated was going to ask the dealer to look at it during my first oil change.
Wind noise caused by door gasket. Have seen a post on this forum about that. It was replaced or reseated, fixed the issue.
Can’t imagine you didn’t cost yourself a couple MPG with a low tire pressure. For highway use it’s normal to raise slightly above recommended pressure.

Last edited:

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Returned yesterday evening from my first road trip using two tanks. Got a solid 23mpg on 87 oct. Passing was good and overall comfort and ride was very good. I do need to get in and complain about a bit of wind noise around front doors, its not loud but there shouldn't be any! Very pleased with the truck. a lot of the driving was above 7000 thousand in altitude and some above 8500. Other than wind noise as mentioned, no issues.
Does anyone know how to get rid of the piped in engine sound!

OP
OP
JaysOnTheEDGE

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Just to update on my solution for the flapping from the leer tonneau overhanging rubber seal. i got some automotive grade 3M double sided tape (gray stuff with red backing) and ran it along the entire length of the rubber seal and stuck it to the lip on outside of the bed wall, the noise is gone and so much quieter. time will tell how it holds up.

Wind noise from the door seals was reduced by going around each door and window seal and making sure it was firmly seated and it has reduced the noise greatly. i found a few spots that weren't seated

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Nice, about the same issues i had while driving. Behind the rear seats, there is no sound damening at all. And two big pressure vent window thingys on the back that lead to the outside. I figure thats where the noise comes from. My tranny shifts fi e when i let off the gas. Most times. Sometimes does that hard bucking. Not often though. I bought mine jan 13 2021, I have 29,000 miles on it!! 4x2, xlt with road tires. Awesome truck.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
We road tripped this summer to Texas. Texas has some nice speed limits! Set cruise about 87 and let it go. Still averaged right at 25 mph overall. Super comfortable and no issues. Great truck
Sponsored