Road trip in the summer

Alrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
We're driving from the Bay area to Houston through AZ in the next few weeks and we're taking the Ranger which has ~3k miles on it.

It's going to be in the 90s/100s most of the way and we are concerned about turning on the AC throughout our drive because we're worried about it overheating. Is this a valid concern? Do we need to turn off the AC once in a while to give it a "break" or is this not a problem? Would it help to set it in a higher temperature i.e. 74 vs 68 degrees or does it matter?

Is it also recommended to do an oil change and get the fluids checked before this long drive? It's relatively new, so it should be fine, but want to get this groups' thoughts.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
We're driving from the Bay area to Houston through AZ in the next few weeks and we're taking the Ranger which has ~3k miles on it.

It's going to be in the 90s/100s most of the way and we are concerned about turning on the AC throughout our drive because we're worried about it overheating. Is this a valid concern? Do we need to turn off the AC once in a while to give it a "break" or is this not a problem? Would it help to set it in a higher temperature i.e. 74 vs 68 degrees or does it matter?

Is it also recommended to do an oil change and get the fluids checked before this long drive? It's relatively new, so it should be fine, but want to get this groups' thoughts.

Thanks!
Run the AC to your hearts content. No overheating issues. No breaks needed. Keep it at a temp that keeps you comfortable. AC doesn't put a strain on a modern engine as it did in the past. Plus the engine cooling system nowadays if very efficient. I live in the South and we are constantly upper 90's/100's for most of the summer. The AC runs constantly and I have it set to 68-70 on Auto. The Ranger barely breaks a sweat keeping me cool.:like:

I think the first oil change is scheduled for 10k miles. I am of the mindset to change it at 5k, but that is totally up to you if that is what you want to do.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The cooling system is designed to tow 7500lbs up a grade in 100+ degree heat. You can't strain it with an unloaded truck.
Sponsored