First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Ok I love my Ranger but I put a deposit down on a Rivian R1T. Except delivery in a little over a year. The deposit is 100% refundable.

I’ve actually seen the Rivian in real world action and it’s quite impressive. Yeah that front end is butt ugly but I don’t have to look at it while driving, that’s everyone else’s problem…

I’m still on the fence about keeping my Ranger or actually taking delivery…
Sponsored

OP
OP
canyonslicker

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I do have a loaded FX4 Ranger lariat. We’ll see how well it works in the interim. I thought this Ranger would be the last vehicle I would own. Just turned 65 years young..

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
The Rivian's look nice and I've debated ordering one, but I wouldn't expect the Rivian anytime soon. Since they are ramping up production on their first vehicle, there will be troubles along that way that push the timeline.

https://insideevs.com/news/555151/rivian-r1t-production-delivery-december2021/
The average production rate of the R1T over the past 45 days improved to 10.4/day (from 3.8/ day in the initial 48 days).

Rough math but with 55k pre-orders at 10/day would take 5500 days to fulfill, obv production rate will go up dramatically as they perfect the build process and they just announced a new plant in georgia which will help immensely.
https://electrek.co/2021/12/16/rivian-5-billion-electric-vehicle-factory-georgia/

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Cool toy, but keep the Ranger alongside it. If Tesla ownership is any indicator, it will be quite a while before Rivian could be a replacement for a conventional pickup. I think it sits squarely in the “expensive toys” category, and I would not rely on it as my only truck. Availability of parts and service are huge question marks, and the answers will only come with time. The F150 Lightning has the most potential as a daily driver, based on nothing more than Ford’s long experience and well-established support network.

Last edited:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I think you’re realistically looking at 18 months to get the Rivian. They are building a new factory here in Georgia and they publicly stated this week that the first deliveries wouldn’t be until 2023. Just drive the Ranger until you a confirmation date. You can always sell the Ranger to Carvana, or similar, with a quick turn around.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Wait until the Ranger goes electric and it will. Then trade up
This can’t come too soon. By far, the best way to ensure useful range is to reduce weight and drag. Without compromising utility, smaller and lighter are better. The new unibody “trucklets” like the Maverick and Santa Cruz are halfway there.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Ok I love my Ranger but I put a deposit down on a Rivian R1T. Except delivery in a little over a year. The deposit is 100% refundable.

I’ve actually seen the Rivian in real world action and it’s quite impressive. Yeah that front end is butt ugly but I don’t have to look at it while driving, that’s everyone else’s problem…

I’m still on the fence about keeping my Ranger or actually taking delivery…
Did u consider the EV Toyota Tacoma. At least they have a nice front end look

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
$70K versus $35-45K? What's there to think about?

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
I would get a F150 Lightning if I went electric. Sorry but the Rivian has no appeal to me. :)
Precisely what I did. Put a deposit on an F150 Lightning a couple of months ago. I like my 2021 Ranger, but its a lousy pickup truck. Nice car-ish vehicle, but not good as an actual pickup. So presuming I actually get a Lightning delivery next year, I'll trade the almost new Ranger right in!

I looked at the Rivian, but its also a lousy pickup truck, and too small to be useful for really anything other than showing off to friends that you actually have a Rivian. Too many gimmicks for me to take it seriously.

I was actually considering the Lordstown Endurance as its dimensions are very close to my dearly departed Dodge Dakota, but they actually put a speed governor on it at 75 MPH, which is simply bonkers.

So its F150 Lightning for me......

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Precisely what I did. Put a deposit on an F150 Lightning a couple of months ago. I like my 2021 Ranger, but its a lousy pickup truck. Nice car-ish vehicle, but not good as an actual pickup. So presuming I actually get a Lightning delivery next year, I'll trade the almost new Ranger right in!

I looked at the Rivian, but its also a lousy pickup truck, and too small to be useful for really anything other than showing off to friends that you actually have a Rivian. Too many gimmicks for me to take it seriously.

I was actually considering the Lordstown Endurance as its dimensions are very close to my dearly departed Dodge Dakota, but they actually put a speed governor on it at 75 MPH, which is simply bonkers.

So its F150 Lightning for me......
Ok, I'll bite. The Ranger is car-ish in what ways? Certainly not ride or interior. Tows and hauls as much or more as the full-size trucks from previous decades, including the 2008 F150 I had. It's almost 18 feet long. It's almost too tall to fit in a garage.
Sponsored