Ranger, Bronco Sport or trailer !?

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Hello All, new member here looking for advice... with a bit of a long post ...

Wife and I are looking to replace our old DD, a small 2 door car. Want a 4 door the odd time for extra people plus we have a young dog who will prob end up ~65-70 lbs.

Have been thinking Bronco Sport (for hikes etc.) with the dog in the cargo area but now thinking he'll prob end up in the back seat mostly. Have a full size pick up truck for house duty and slide in camper but would like to keep the camper on full time going forward (...one can dream :D...) so I need something for ongoing, slow reno's - sheets of drywall, plywood etc.

Could get a utility trailer but wife is not keen - another "thing" lying around hardly used I guess, PITA in the city etc. Plus I'd prob want to complicate the trailer purchase by wanting an enclosed, something to take camping, over sizing it etc.

Enter the Ranger Crew Cab. Versatility of a PU. Works for the dog in backseat or PU box. Lots of room for our gear in the cargo area, covered with a canopy. Like the body on frame, think it would hold up better on gravel over the long run than the Bronco Sport.

Kicker is the 5' box for building and landscaping materials. I've seen some platform solutions on here so I know it's do-able. But I'm wondering how suitable is the configuration is. If I want to just run down and get another "whatever" at the lumber store (likewise for the trailer btw).

Another option is a possible 6G crew cab with 6' box. Not sure I want to wait 'til 22 or 23 and not sure if the longer length would be a turn off for driving as a DD.

Thoughts appreciated.
~Ali
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Wife and I are looking to replace our old DD, a small 2 door car. Want a 4 door the odd time for extra people plus we have a young dog who will prob end up ~65-70 lbs.

Have been thinking Bronco Sport (for hikes etc.) with the dog in the cargo area but now thinking he'll prob end up in the back seat mostly. Have a full size pick up truck for house duty and slide in camper but would like to keep the camper on full time going forward (...one can dream :D...) so I need something for ongoing, slow reno's - sheets of drywall, plywood etc.

Could get a utility trailer but wife is not keen - another "thing" lying around hardly used I guess, PITA in the city etc. Plus I'd prob want to complicate the trailer purchase by wanting an enclosed, something to take camping, over sizing it etc.

Enter the Ranger Crew Cab. Versatility of a PU. Works for the dog in backseat or PU box. Lots of room for our gear in the cargo area, covered with a canopy. Like the body on frame, think it would hold up better on gravel over the long run than the Bronco Sport.

Kicker is the 5' box for building and landscaping materials. I've seen some platform solutions on here so I know it's do-able. But I'm wondering how suitable is the configuration is. If I want to just run down and get another "whatever" at the lumber store (likewise for the trailer btw).

Another option is a possible 6G crew cab with 6' box. Not sure I want to wait 'til 22 or 23 and not sure if the longer length would be a turn off for driving as a DD.

Thoughts appreciated.
~Ali
Hi Ali,

You pose some good questions and statements of your needs. The Bronco is a posssibility as is the Ranger. I might recommend you prioritize your must haves and your wishes and see which vehicle would meet the needs and maybe realize a want is actually a need. Each offering, Bronco or Ranger offers some unique opportunities but my opinion is the Ranger is more versatile than the Bronco for those that do not plan much serious off roading.

Good luck with your decision!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
OP
OP

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Hi Ali,

You pose some good questions and statements of your needs. The Bronco is a posssibility as is the Ranger. I might recommend you prioritize your must haves and your wishes and see which vehicle would meet the needs and maybe realize a want is actually a need. Each offering, Bronco or Ranger offers some unique opportunities but my opinion is the Ranger is more versatile than the Bronco for those that do not plan much serious off roading.

Good luck with your decision!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, and thanks for your other posts I've been reading. Yah, it's going to be very subjective. I do see a CUV in my future if I can't make a compelling argument otherwise. I'm a truck guy at heart but 2 PUs outta 2 vehicles is a hard sell.

If I may, what's your expectation of the Bronco Sport vs the Ranger for off highway driving (gravel resource or forestry roads) in terms of ride and durability longterm ? I'd prob wait for the Tremor btw.

I have a Supercab and use it for exactly the same things you would. My dogs are a little bigger than your little guy will be and there's plenty room for them in the back "seat". Also second Phil's words of wisdom. check this thread out to give you some idea of size. Zeus is 110 lbs of cuddles

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/diy-scab-rear-seat-delete-dog-backseat-addition.5880/
Thanks myother. I saw that mod but had no idea of your pups size. Our Lab is growing fast at 21 lbs / 12 weeks. Can't imagine 5x the size !! No gum boots on earth would survive his chewing !

Sadly supercab is not going to cut it for our human passengers (inlaws). So it would be the 5' box. Would that shorter box make that much difference ?

Maybe I could have titled this thread, "Ranger Crew Cab or Bronco Sport and trailer". Is one a realistic alternative for the other for semi occassional hauling of 4x8 sheets ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Thoughts appreciated.
~Ali
Sounds like the Ranger would best suit your needs. It size is perfect for every day use and it's not so big like an F 150 where parking can be a nightmare. I've owned many F 150's but my needs have changed and LOVE my ranger! Besides it's size the drivetrain is very smooth and it's functional for a DD yet great for going off road whether it be fire roads or moderate - extreme trails.

If you're going to wait for the next gen Ranger I personally would wait until at least the second year. I'm always leery of first year vehicles and as good as Ford is there are always some bugs to be worked out. Sure there's a warrantee but I don't like being the test dummy, I did that on my '16 Tacoma. :puke:

The Bronco Sport looks good. I ordered a Bronco but it will be a mid to late 2022. You're going to be limited as to what you can tow and haul but it will be killer for off roading!

The best thing to do is make yourself a checklist of wants and needs. It sounds like the Ranger would be the best option and I would go take one (or two) for a test drive, you won't be disappointed.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
The Bronco sport does not look as capable as the Ranger for off road. The Ranger also rides really well and often times I feel like I’m in an SUV. And there are options for hauling lumber- like a bed rack. I’ve hauled several pieces of 8 ft lumber in my 5’ box. I think you should test drive the ranger.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
If I didn't need the utility of a truck, or if I already owned one (or something of equal utility), then I would certainly be in the market for a Bronco Sport. Again, all of this is from my perspective and what I would do. I'm also a weird and overly logical person. haha So take from it what you will.
That's kinda where I was on the whole decision process. Had 2 cars prior, and it created some real PITA situations, since one of them was an econobox with a manual that my wife wouldn't touch. The econobox couldn't tow my teardrop, so I couldn't take the teardrop camper out on my own.

I was also fed up with carrying mountain bikes inside the car. 12yrs of doing that did a real number on the interior. Plus, owning a home at the edge of the "country" meant hauling more stuff myself rather than having someone else deliver it. The utility of the truck won out for that purchase, but no way I'd own 2 pickup trucks.

Hell, if used pickups weren't so expensive, I'd have bought a used beater for utility and purchased another econobox for DD duties.

Deleted member 1634

That's kinda where I was on the whole decision process. Had 2 cars prior, and it created some real PITA situations, since one of them was an econobox with a manual that my wife wouldn't touch. The econobox couldn't tow my teardrop, so I couldn't take the teardrop camper out on my own.

I was also fed up with carrying mountain bikes inside the car. 12yrs of doing that did a real number on the interior. Plus, owning a home at the edge of the "country" meant hauling more stuff myself rather than having someone else deliver it. The utility of the truck won out for that purchase, but no way I'd own 2 pickup trucks.

Hell, if used pickups weren't so expensive, I'd have bought a used beater for utility and purchased another econobox for DD duties.
Yep, pretty much. I loved my little manual Subaru Crosstrek, and definitely miss rowing the gears and the better gas mileage. But family grew, I moved to a house near the country like you, bought a teardrop, and needed something more utilitarian. I'd been looking at used beater trucks for years. None of them where in good enough condition for the right price. So I ended up trading all in on the Ranger. I love this truck, but I do miss aspects of a smaller, lighter, more nimble vehicle.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not sure about your area, but if you only need the utility of a truck occasionally, you can rent a flatbed F250 from Home Depot for $19/75 minutes.

If I were being truthful to myself, this would fit me just fine.

But I wanted the Ranger :devil:

OP
OP

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Thank guys for all your thoughts. Appreciate it. :like:

Couple of comments in no particular order...

The full size is a toy that sits majority of the time but has been great for what it does - RV and house work. It's taken us from coast to coast to coast, cruising highway and pounding over thousands of miles of gravel. It's big and heavy and robust. That's why I say I'm more of a truck guy. Lot's of fancy, fast cars in town but they can't go off road with a camper :wink:.

However, we're city folk and it's the wrong vehicle (for us) in town (diesel, size, expense). We don't drive to work so fuel cost is not as big a consideration for town. That said, if it was my sole decision I'd buy an EV as a second vehicle, no question.

Winter home project are coming and that's why a trailer is on my brain. I think I'll pull the camper off (this year's been a complete blow out anyway) and that solves the Home Depot runs for now. Try renting is a good idea tho, I think I've seen units in the lot.

And yeah, we should test drive - if only I could do it without involving a dealer sales person :angry:. Last truck we ordered thu fleet sales and it was soo much easier. Anyhoo that could decide it on a Ranger right there.

On the Big Bronco, I was pretty interested too, but the drawn out teasing is tiresome and I think it might be a bit too specialized a purchase for us. We keep cars for a long time so they "should" be middle of the road for functionality.

Agree Bronco Sport looks good. I think it will be dynamite mild off road. But around here for day trips roads bush in as fast as they erode and pin striping will be a no go, wife wise (at least for a while). Cargo area size is a bit of a question. And a higher tow rating wouldn't hurt. Looking forward to seeing one.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I've owned 2 F-150's with the 5' bed. It does have it drawbacks, but with a bit of ingenuity they hauled the things I needed. I don't use trucks like I used to, and mine have been weekends warriors at best. You can haul 6-8 foot lumber by leaving the tailgate up, one end at the back of the bed, the other on top of the tailgate, and some bungie cords, or tie downs. BTW, don't forget to flag them things. Our DOT requires that. As suggested take a test drive (I've haven't had a sales person bite me yet :) ), and study the 5' bed closely to make sure it will fit your needs. Good luck on your decision.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Thoughts appreciated.
~Ali
Part of my hesitation to pull the trigger on the Ranger was that I needed the crew cab to have space for all my humans, but I was worried about the short bed. I almost bought a Colorado instead just to get the crew cab/6' bed combination. 10 months in, I'm glad I decided to just go with the Ranger. The thing I most often use the bed for is running to the home improvement store to get another "whatever," and I can verify that it does this well, including when getting 4x8 sheets of "whatevers."

I, too, considered just getting a utility trailer to satisfy all my cargo needs. Like your wife, I didn't want another thing lying around, plus I didn't want to mess with keeping it licensed. Not to mention, part of the reason for a mid-size truck is how nice it is to maneuver in traffic, and towing a trailer negates that benefit (though only when I need to haul something).

As far as waiting until the next gen: there's no guarantee that the next gen will have the crew cab/6' bed combo. Talking to the folks at the Chevy and Toyota dealerships, it's clear that there is a really small market for such a combo in mid-sized trucks, so there's a very real possibility that Ford will decide that it's not worth the investment. If you want to get a feel for how the extra length will affect general drivability, go test drive a Colorado in that configuration.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Off road capable utility vehicle, sports car and power sports (motorcycles, jet ski’s, atv, etc).

OP
OP

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Thanks guys.

jsphlynch, beauty, that's my argument right there :fingerscrossed:.

We'll test a Ranger. If that passes it'll be the first choice replacement if the car craps out before Spring, or whenever the Sport comes to town and we can check it out.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have two trucks, F-150 and Ranger crew cab. I only use the F-150 now for hauling the horse trailer. I have a full grown Lab that mostly rides in the bed of the Ranger in a kennel. I have topper on it with a tool box in the bed and a swing out box on the side. I can still get suit cases, coolers and miscellaneous bags in the bed for overnight trips or week long vacations. I really like the Ranger size since it is easy to park and go off-roading even with the load.
Sponsored