Resolved: MIL - Crankcase Ventilation Hose Sensor (P051B)

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Posting this for future searchers.

Friday I had just returned home from a 4+ hour drive, mostly highways doing 90-120km/h (55-75mph). No issues what so ever, ride was great as usual. Truck looked to be averaging about 10.5 km per liter / 29mpg (I kept checking :)). 2019 Lariat Super Crew FX4, build date Jan. 2019 (bought March 2019), 26,000 kms / 16,000 miles on the odometer.

Did a pit stop close to home to a store to pick up some things. Get back in about 5 minutes later and the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. Truck still started fine and ran ok, so I just drove the next few minutes home.

Got a pop-up on Fordpass - Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory. Under that it shows "The engine control system has detected the crankcase ventilation hose sensor is reporting a signal outside of its expected value."

I let it sit for a bit, at least about 2 hours, went to start it to see if the CEL stayed on which it did. So shut if off and made an appointment with the dealer for Monday.

I don't have an OBD scanner so asked the technician on the side for the code it gave (so I could share here!). He went one better and gave me the TSB that came up for him. My code was P051B.

Resolution: They flashed/updated the PCM as per TSB 20-2153. (this always makes me wonder though, what happened to throw the code in the first place? unfortunately with these we wouldn't know unless the same thing comes up again I guess.)

TSB 20-2153 (dated May 6, 2020): Illuminated MIL with DTCs P02EE, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B - Built on or Before June 14, 2019

This bulletin supersedes 19-2320. Reason for update: Incorrect or Incomplete Symptom

Model: Ford 2019 Ranger

Summary: This article supersedes TSB 19-2320 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Action Statement.

Issue: Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 14-June-2019 may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P02EE, P02EF, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to various software parameters within the PCM. To correct the condition, follow the service procedure to reprogram the PCM.

Action: Follow the service procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
- 2019 Ranger
- Built on or before 14-June-2019
- Exhibits an illuminated MIL with DTC P02EE, P02EF, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B stored in the PCM

Warranty Service: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty, blah blah blah (typical stuff)

Hope this helps for future use. To also note, this is the first and only issue I've had with this truck.
Sponsored

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Posting this for future searchers.

Friday I had just returned home from a 4+ hour drive, mostly highways doing 90-120km/h (55-75mph). No issues what so ever, ride was great as usual. Truck looked to be averaging about 10.5 km per liter / 29mpg (I kept checking :)). 2019 Lariat Super Crew FX4, build date Jan. 2019 (bought March 2019), 26,000 kms / 16,000 miles on the odometer.

Did a pit stop close to home to a store to pick up some things. Get back in about 5 minutes later and the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. Truck still started fine and ran ok, so I just drove the next few minutes home.

Got a pop-up on Fordpass - Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory. Under that it shows "The engine control system has detected the crankcase ventilation hose sensor is reporting a signal outside of its expected value."

I let it sit for a bit, at least about 2 hours, went to start it to see if the CEL stayed on which it did. So shut if off and made an appointment with the dealer for Monday.

I don't have an OBD scanner so asked the technician on the side for the code it gave (so I could share here!). He went one better and gave me the TSB that came up for him. My code was P051B.

Resolution: They flashed/updated the PCM as per TSB 20-2153. (this always makes me wonder though, what happened to throw the code in the first place? unfortunately with these we wouldn't know unless the same thing comes up again I guess.)

TSB 20-2153 (dated May 6, 2020): Illuminated MIL with DTCs P02EE, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B - Built on or Before June 14, 2019

This bulletin supersedes 19-2320. Reason for update: Incorrect or Incomplete Symptom

Model: Ford 2019 Ranger

Summary: This article supersedes TSB 19-2320 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Action Statement.

Issue: Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 14-June-2019 may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P02EE, P02EF, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to various software parameters within the PCM. To correct the condition, follow the service procedure to reprogram the PCM.

Action: Follow the service procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
- 2019 Ranger
- Built on or before 14-June-2019
- Exhibits an illuminated MIL with DTC P02EE, P02EF, P02F0, P02F1, P050A, P050B, P1026, and/or P051B stored in the PCM

Warranty Service: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty, blah blah blah (typical stuff)

Hope this helps for future use. To also note, this is the first and only issue I've had with this truck.
I just got this same thing today. Stopped at the store and when I started up again I got a solid check engine light. Ford Pass gave me a message saying the same thing, "The engine control system has detected the crankcase ventilation hose sensor is reporting a signal outside of its expected value."

My Ranger was built in August 2019 though. I guess I'll have to take it in and find out what's going on. :(

Edit: So I called my local Ford dealer and they can't get me in until the end of May.
:mad:

Last edited:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Today I ran into a guy I know that owns an auto shop. Since I don't really know what the above message meant and my local Ford dealer can't get me in until the end of the month I asked him about it.

He asked me when was the last time I had an oil change. I'm due for my first one in a few weeks (only 2100 miles so far and it will be a year then). He said that oil viscosity might cause that sensor to trip. So I hope I don't have the dreaded fuel in oil thing. I didn't think to ask him about that when I was talking to him. But he said he didn't think the message was a huge concern. He offered to clear the code for me tomorrow at his shop and said it will be more of a concern if occurs again.

I'm still going to have Ford look it though when they can finally get me in.

Last edited:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I hate to kind of bump this but anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm kind of unhappy having a check engine light show up with just over 2k miles and just under a year owned. I'm trying hard not to ping Phil in this thread and ask what he thinks. Haha

I'm just a little freaked out about it and I value the knowledge shared here. Thanks.

Last edited:

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to kind of bump this but anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm kind of unhappy having a check engine light show up with just over 2k miles and just under a year owned. I'm trying hard not to ping Phil in this thread and ask what he thinks. Haha

I'm just a little freaked out about it and I value the knowledge shared here. Thanks.
Had same issue. Quick fix with TSB 20-2153 and haven't had issue again

OP
OP
SymChris

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD

As per @DeathRanger above, I haven't had any issues since the tech did the PCM flash.

I don't really *think* that oil had anything to do with it. I was only about 3,000 kilometers since the last oil change when I encountered this. No difference in driving habits, and a big chunk of that was highway miles.... never know though I guess?

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I actually put some decent miles on my truck today as opposed to very short drives I normally do. Drove an hour to my mom's house. The light was still on during the drive there. When I started it up to go home the light cleared. So I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens again. Maybe my Ranger just wanted some more time on the road. :)

Thanks to the people above that replied.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I just got back from Ford. My story continued for anyone interested. They called me last week because they had a scheduling problem and needed to reschedule me. I told them the light had gone off and they said that they could not diagnose it if the light was off. I still needed the oil change so I scheduled that for today. Sure enough the same day they called me to reschedule the light came back on with the same error. Then it went off for a bit then back on and stayed on up till today.

So I figured I'll just mention it when I bring it in for the oil change instead of trying to schedule a separate appointment for the error code and be scheduled for who knows how far out. Two and a half hours of hanging around the Ford place they told me they have to replace the crank case pressure sensor and have to order the part which should arrive in 2-3 days. I'm glad I don't have to wait for the part longer than that.

So my issue seems unrelated to the OPs. The paper work states P051B present no related TSB but found the crank case pressure sensor to have intermittently dropped out. Anyway I thought I would add my experience in case anyone else runs across this same problem some time and searches here.

tl;dr My issue was apparenlty not related to the above mentioned TSB and they are replacing the crank case pressure sensor. Hopefully that solves the issue. So far it seems like a minor issue that will be resolved soon. Thanks to people that participated in this thread for the info.

Other than that they had a new Bronco Sport on the lot. It was neat to look at but smaller than I imagined. They only had 1 Ranger on the lot that I spotted which was a Tremor.

Oh and something else kind of cool I never knew about. I noticed when they pulled vehicles into the bay to prep them for service they were putting these things that looked kind of like boots they use for parking violations on the wheels. Then they rolled the vehicle forward like maybe 1-2 feet and then took the boot looking things off the wheels. I asked them what that was and they told me it checks the alignment in about 1 minute. I guess they have some sensors on them that sends it to a computer. I'd never heard of that before and just thought it was a cool thing to learn. They told me the equipment to do that cost $20,000.

Last edited:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just a follow up for anyone else that may experience a similar issue and doing a search here for the P051B error. Last week they replaced the crank case pressure sensor and the write up also said they replaced the tube assembly (not sure what that is aside from it being a tube I guess, haha). It took about 2 hours. So far it seems the issue has been resolved. No more warning lights after a week of driving. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: