2 Issues that can't be resolved...

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
Guys,I have to say I really like this truck but I do have two issues that my dealer just can't seem to resolve.My dealer has always treated me well,but I'm getting a bit weary.First issue:Carplay/Sync.Ford has just never been able to get this Sync thing right even after several versions.Mine sees my iPhone at times and at times not.My settings change by themselves and mostly when I restart the truck it will not default to the last audio option but will pick whatever it seems to feel like for me to listen to.This Friday will be my sixth visit to the dealer and this time they will be replacing some cable they ordered.They replaced several parts already and re-installed the latest update several times.Last time someone deleted my Sirius altogether and it does not appear anymore.Second issue: Slip joint start/stop bump.This will be the second visit for this one.First time they lubed the slip joint and seemed to be fixed, but after two weeks,it came back.I looked under the truck and saw grease that was plug all over and found that the boot was re-installed with only one clamp.So,this Friday I'll be hoping for a little good luck although my hopes are really not very high
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
The cable might help. Mine is sensitive to the cable from the USB to phone. I could see a cable behind the dash causing problems as well.

Got nothing on the bump. Maybe they went a bit too crazy with the grease?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Re the bump:

I have/had the bump. I lubed the spline myself, which help a bunch, though it is still there at times, although muted compared to before. Some people lube the spline and are good forever, some lube it and it gets better, but not gone. Then some lube it and it is good but comes back. Mine has been 7 weeks and about 2,000 miles and it has not gotten worse yet (although like I mentioned it never fully went away, just got better). I will probably try to lube it again next year, see if I can do a better job, or I may just get used to it, since it is pretty mellow now. I suggest you just lube it to make sure it isn't done half-ass.

Another option is to try the Tom Woods one piece driveshaft. It is $700 plus shipping and the install time (which you can DIY). We shouldn't have to pay that but it is what it is. I may try this myself, but I have concerns about Ford's warranty for other drivetrain issues.

Techcargt

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranget XLT 2023 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Master ASE Tech, and Heavy Equipment Tech
I too have the slip-bump with my drive line . First time I used the Ford lube kit , it lasted a whole month . Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal and nothing they could do or would do .So I fixed it myself bur at least I now have a paper trail . Last time I used the Amsoil
Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease, NLGI #2
It has worked the best and lasted the longest so far . It has been silky smooth .

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The cable might help. Mine is sensitive to the cable from the USB to phone. I could see a cable behind the dash causing problems as well.

Got nothing on the bump. Maybe they went a bit too crazy with the grease?
seconding this one. i used an old USB cable to connect my iphone and it is ever so slightly damaged on one of the contact pads for the lightning connection. this side must ALWAYS be facing down (away from the screen) or the ranger's carplay ability won't see it. it is hands down the most finnicky carplay system i've ever used, but the moment i use a new/better cable all the issues vanish. so i'd give this a try.

i've never tried it, but there are a few people i've read on this forum who are adamant that changing out the fluid in their front/rear diffs completely resolved any bumpiness. so.. i can't confirm, but maybe look around and see if you can find those posts so you can judge for yourself.

stinky that you gotta deal with that stuff, tho

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Guys,I have to say I really like this truck but I do have two issues that my dealer just can't seem to resolve.My dealer has always treated me well,but I'm getting a bit weary.First issue:Carplay/Sync.Ford has just never been able to get this Sync thing right even after several versions.Mine sees my iPhone at times and at times not.My settings change by themselves and mostly when I restart the truck it will not default to the last audio option but will pick whatever it seems to feel like for me to listen to.This Friday will be my sixth visit to the dealer and this time they will be replacing some cable they ordered.They replaced several parts already and re-installed the latest update several times.Last time someone deleted my Sirius altogether and it does not appear anymore.Second issue: Slip joint start/stop bump.This will be the second visit for this one.First time they lubed the slip joint and seemed to be fixed, but after two weeks,it came back.I looked under the truck and saw grease that was plug all over and found that the boot was re-installed with only one clamp.So,this Friday I'll be hoping for a little good luck although my hopes are really not very high
I see your 8th Tac Fighter Wing Patch, I was in Spectre at Ubon, You guys flew close air support fo the AC-130. Saved my butt many times . Thanks !

OP
OP
Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
I see your 8th Tac Fighter Wing Patch, I was in Spectre at Ubon, You guys flew close air support fo the AC-130. Saved my butt many times . Thanks !
I thought I was the only old guy in this group.Welcome home,brother.We have a Ubon Vets FB group with over 1700 that served at Ubon.If you’re interested in joining us let me know.We have many Spectre troops

IMG_2241.jpeg

OP
OP
Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
Re the bump:

I have/had the bump. I lubed the spline myself, which help a bunch, though it is still there at times, although muted compared to before. Some people lube the spline and are good forever, some lube it and it gets better, but not gone. Then some lube it and it is good but comes back. Mine has been 7 weeks and about 2,000 miles and it has not gotten worse yet (although like I mentioned it never fully went away, just got better). I will probably try to lube it again next year, see if I can do a better job, or I may just get used to it, since it is pretty mellow now. I suggest you just lube it to make sure it isn't done half-ass.

Another option is to try the Tom Woods one piece driveshaft. It is $700 plus shipping and the install time (which you can DIY). We shouldn't have to pay that but it is what it is. I may try this myself, but I have concerns about Ford's warranty for other drivetrain issues.
Thx for your help on this but I would sell the truck before I would spend $700 on a driveshaft that may cause other issues

OP
OP
Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
Re the bump:

They did do a half-ass job which is just normal these days no matter what you have done

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I've had sync issues since new. I've had it into the dealer a half dozen time about it. Now that I'm out of warranty, I'm having all those same issues you are describing. The thought of this new age of no manual controls or gauges, with everything buried in a touch screen terrifies me because of this. In the new chevys the only way to turn on and off the headlights is through layers of menus in a touch screen. If sync ran everything in my truck, I would jump in to the windshield wipers going, the speedometer missing, sync not allowing me to start the engine for 2.5 minutes until sync get fully booted up. And you can't just replace it with a Kenwood, because it runs half the systems (half the time it runs them anyway). Very frustrating and a reason to walk away from the Ranger, except, If I buy something new, more systems are integrated into the screen. At least my 2019 Ranger with its 2014 interior and tech is working off of 2012 integration which was fairly limited.

And BTW, I had it in to the dealer for the clunk while under warranty also. They greased the spline and its been working right every since. Probably about 30,000 miles ago.

Maybe I should try slathering the sync system in that Amsoil grease Techcargt was talking about....🤔

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
The dealer always says that is normal, they would say that if they looked under truck and driveshaft was on the ground. I think Ford has the service personal go thru acting classes as well as the other mechanical classes.

OP
OP
Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX 4
The dealer always says that is normal, they would say that if they looked under truck and driveshaft was on the ground. I think Ford has the service personal go thru acting classes as well as the other mechanical classes.
No argument here...
I've had sync issues since new. I've had it into the dealer a half dozen time about it. Now that I'm out of warranty, I'm having all those same issues you are describing. The thought of this new age of no manual controls or gauges, with everything buried in a touch screen terrifies me because of this. In the new chevys the only way to turn on and off the headlights is through layers of menus in a touch screen. If sync ran everything in my truck, I would jump in to the windshield wipers going, the speedometer missing, sync not allowing me to start the engine for 2.5 minutes until sync get fully booted up. And you can't just replace it with a Kenwood, because it runs half the systems (half the time it runs them anyway). Very frustrating and a reason to walk away from the Ranger, except, If I buy something new, more systems are integrated into the screen. At least my 2019 Ranger with its 2014 interior and tech is working off of 2012 integration which was fairly limited.

And BTW, I had it in to the dealer for the clunk while under warranty also. They greased the spline and its been working right every since. Probably about 30,000 miles ago.

Maybe I should try slathering the sync system in that Amsoil grease Techcargt was talking about....🤔
Agree 100%...I am a bit sympathetic to dealerships in all this.Ford engineers a system that simply does not work correctly and then sticks the dealers with an impossible mission to fix their engineering screw ups
Sponsored