Reinstalling axle nut after leveling kit install

Snake Plissken

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Im installing the Eibach 2.0 coilovers this weekend, and I opted to remove the axle nut during the install after reading a bunch of CV-related horror stories. I bought a 35mm socket and torque wrench that goes up to 250ft-lb. The issue I noticed after receiving the wrench is that it's long as hell, and the re-install of the axle nut, according to Ford (tech guides shared in this forum), needs to be done in one continuous motion. I won't be able to do that, given the truck will be on jack stands and most certainly not have enough clearance for the torque wrench to spin a full 360 degrees. Has anyone else removed and re-installed the axle nut? And if so, did you do it in one continuous motion, or just the standard ratcheting movement?
Sponsored

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Im installing the Eibach 2.0 coilovers this weekend, and I opted to remove the axle nut during the install after reading a bunch of CV-related horror stories. I bought a 35mm socket and torque wrench that goes up to 250ft-lb. The issue I noticed after receiving the wrench is that it's long as hell, and the re-install of the axle nut, according to Ford (tech guides shared in this forum), needs to be done in one continuous motion. I won't be able to do that, given the truck will be on jack stands and most certainly not have enough clearance for the torque wrench to spin a full 360 degrees. Has anyone else removed and re-installed the axle nut? And if so, did you do it in one continuous motion, or just the standard ratcheting movement?
If you have a regular 1/2” ratchet, use that till it’s tight, then use the torque wrench. incrementally increase the torque on your torque wrench to the 221 ft/lbs (or whatever it says).

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Be very careful using the jack stands, stay out of the way should the truck fall.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Be very careful using the jack stands, stay out of the way should the truck fall.
Normally when I'm doing axle nuts I pull the center cap out of the wheel, put the wheel back on and do the final tighten on the ground. There is no worries about the car falling that way.

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
Normally when I'm doing axle nuts I pull the center cap out of the wheel, put the wheel back on and do the final tighten on the ground. There is no worries about the car falling that way.
What he said :thumbsup: Did the same with my truck last weekend. Final Torque on the ground with the wheel on..

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That way also does a good job of preventing the axle from rotating when you hit it with 200+ torque.

OP
OP

Snake Plissken

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Great tips, thanks guys! I've done lift kit installs in the past and never touched the axle nut before, so this eases my mind a little.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I just did this job yesterday. Much easier with removing the axle nut and axle! And yes, lower the truck down then do the final torque on the axle nut. Oh pop out the center cap before putting the wheel on so you don't scratch it trying to pry it out with a screwdriver.

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
Great tips, thanks guys! I've done lift kit installs in the past and never touched the axle nut before, so this eases my mind a little.
I seperated my CV, would have been much easier to pop the shaft out of the hub in the first place. Totally reccomend it on the Ranger.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Interesting perspective. Normally jack stands are considered the 'safe' method of working under a vehicle. Do you have a safer alternative?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting perspective. Normally jack stands are considered the 'safe' method of working under a vehicle. Do you have a safer alternative?
Hi Folks,

There is a reclall on Harbor Freight Jack stands. Otherwise I have very substantial Jack stands and feel safe when using two with the floor jack left in place as a safety. During the Racetruck days with the Saleen team...I regularly dove under trucks on jack stands during the 1988 Transmission debacle. (Archive threat) to help change the new M5OD Mazda transmission.

Okay...another back story....

Ford had many outside Garage Service shops as our Truck business grew as the Experimental Garage could not support Truck's needs. So this is how Livernois, Carron, Roucch and a company called Milford Fabrication entered the picture. So we had a problem with Ranger and the first problem vehicle was sent to Milfab. I called them MilBolt as they were so poor on any fabrication. Anyway, My Boss, who never left his office for any reason unless it was political) traveled out to Milfab..(MIlBolt). They had acquired a large building adjacent to their business and installed above ground hoists.

Now picture my boss...dressed to the 9's at all time... a narcissistic technically inept Jerk went to review the vehicle which was sitting on a hoist. I request the vehicle be raised as the suspect problem was on the underside of the vehicle. So the shop foreman barked at a Mifford mechanic to raise the vehicle. The Mechanic flipped the switch to on and engaged up. A hydraulic hose popped and sprayed us with hydraulic fluid, but my standing position was such that my boss block the spray...He was coated head to foot... I was no hit at all. It was all I could do to not laugh. This prissy guy was drenched. So I told him there was no way he was going back home like that in our vehicle...He ended up in the restroom mopping the fluid off him....His Gucci belt and loafers were toast as well well as his custom made golf shirts and high end pants. So he was given a Milford Fabricating mechanics uniform to wear back to Ford. :) :) :)

He submitted a bill for the cost of the trashed upscale clothes which he replaced, but as hated a he was....this story clung to him for ever. I only wish it was when we had cell phones as documenting this drenched AHole in red hydraulic fluid would have been so cool to post! My Rockports, Dockers and Ralph Lorenze golf shirt were spot free. I loved it!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
No issues with mine and I did the same with my Eibach install. I tightened it fairly tight with my regular ratchet then was able to finish it with one smooth movement with my torque wrench. My wife held her foot on the brake while I tightened with the wheel off.
Sponsored