Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
To go from 30.4 to 32” I would not worry about the cost and hassle of regearing on a Ranger.

Here is my reasoning for that answer. My Jeep has 3.73 gears (the same as your ranger) and I went to 35” tires. My tire and wheel combo is 95 lbs each, a 70 lb tire and 25 lb wheel. The transmission on a 2013 JKU is a measly 5 gear auto. Even with the aerodynamics of a brick, when traveling on a flat highway I can stay in overdrive.

The big tire issue with 3.73 gears appears when either a slight headwind or when the road stars to climb even a little. When either happens my transmission will drop a gear and OD is gone Until the road flattens out again.

So a byproduct is you may never see your 10th gear going to larger tires. A 275/70-17 BFG KO2 tire is 32.2” and weights 55lbs each. So if your considering tire A that is 2 lbs heavier but less expensive as tire brand B I would not let those two lbs make the tire choice for you.

The Ranger has an awesome engine/transmission combo.
I'm on 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak At3W's and if I set the cruise on a reasonble MPH (72-75) I'll get 22.0-22.5 mpg. All I've done so far is run only 93 octane. I have the livernois tune but currently lack a computer that doesnt require the admin's nuclear launch security codes to install the software needed to pull the tune off the module they sent.

TL;DR even with 33's I'm regularly cruising up to our lake house in northern NY in 10th gear. I'll flick it into 8th for big hills so it doesn't lug but outside of that, she still pulls.

Seamoose

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Military
on my 2019 i run 32 for my dailys and 33s when i go offroad. Tuned lifted all the fun stuff. Just got in my Eaton rear Elocker. having it installed this week.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm on 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak At3W's and if I set the cruise on a reasonble MPH (72-75) I'll get 22.0-22.5 mpg. All I've done so far is run only 93 octane. I have the livernois tune but currently lack a computer that doesnt require the admin's nuclear launch security codes to install the software needed to pull the tune off the module they sent.

TL;DR even with 33's I'm regularly cruising up to our lake house in northern NY in 10th gear. I'll flick it into 8th for big hills so it doesn't lug but outside of that, she still pulls.
You don’t own a computer that you’re the admin of, or you don’t know how to supply the nuclear admin codes? Off topic I know, but let me know if you need a hand.
Sponsored