First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Honda Element EX
Occupation
Director of Information Technology
Are any of you regearing when increasing your tire size to compensate for the added height/weight?

From what I can find on here, stock FX4 size is ~30.4" and people are fitting 32" so the difference may not be enough to worry about. But I also know that the factory always gears towards highway MPG vs. performance.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Even if we had to worry about re-gearing the final drive there are no kits avalible at this time to change the gears. A pain yes but the truth. Also I am currently running 265/70-17 on my truck with the Old Man EMU lift with the Livernois Tow Tune and my MPG can still be pretty good depending on conditions. Depending on conditions I can also toss the MPG right out the window too!!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I noticed no easily perceptible loss in acceleration when I went from stock size to 265/70/17 tires.

While I am certain that there actually was a penalty, the torque from the ecoboost hides it well.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Ford didn't bother changing the gear setup or even the tune for the Tremor and is has 32(ish) tires from the factory. I haven't seen any gear sets like you can get for Tacomas out there at all (but oddly ARB is making locking diff kits for Rangers).

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford didn't bother changing the gear setup or even the tune for the Tremor and is has 32(ish) tires from the factory. I haven't seen any gear sets like you can get for Tacomas out there at all (but oddly ARB is making locking diff kits for Rangers).
They are making locking diffs since bot all Rangers come with rear lockers and I have yet to see a factory locker for the front.

OP
OP

Steve Boehm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Honda Element EX
Occupation
Director of Information Technology
Even if we had to worry about re-gearing the final drive there are no kits avalible at this time to change the gears. A pain yes but the truth. Also I am currently running 265/70-17 on my truck with the Old Man EMU lift with the Livernois Tow Tune and my MPG can still be pretty good depending on conditions. Depending on conditions I can also toss the MPG right out the window too!!
That was going to be my next question. If they even made gear sets for them yet.

total weight change for me with new wheels and tires was only +80 lbs ...negligible in my opinion and I really saw minimal mpg loss; 20lbs per is not much....
While 80lbs of total weight may not seem like a significant difference, 20lbs per wheel of rotational mass is a dramatic difference. I didn't think swapping from 15x8 steel wheels to 15x10 aluminum wheels with 33x12.5s on my Jeep would've been noticeable, but I couldn't believe how much better the Jeep felt with the aluminum wheels. It accelerates better, stops better, and rides better.

I wouldn't expect Ford to re-gear for the Tremor. Especially for the low price of the Tremor option package vs. what's already included. As I said, new vehicles are never geared for performance anyway.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
About the only reason I'd re-gear a 10 speed is if; I needed more gear reduction than was available in 1st gear, or your tire height was making 10th gear unusable on the highway. Other than that there's no real reason. It's not like an old 4, 5 or 6 speed with gears a mile apart. I'd just get a tune optimized for your mods and driving style.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Are any of you regearing when increasing your tire size to compensate for the added height/weight?

From what I can find on here, stock FX4 size is ~30.4" and people are fitting 32" so the difference may not be enough to worry about. But I also know that the factory always gears towards highway MPG vs. performance.
To go from 30.4 to 32” I would not worry about the cost and hassle of regearing on a Ranger.

Here is my reasoning for that answer. My Jeep has 3.73 gears (the same as your ranger) and I went to 35” tires. My tire and wheel combo is 95 lbs each, a 70 lb tire and 25 lb wheel. The transmission on a 2013 JKU is a measly 5 gear auto. Even with the aerodynamics of a brick, when traveling on a flat highway I can stay in overdrive.

The big tire issue with 3.73 gears appears when either a slight headwind or when the road stars to climb even a little. When either happens my transmission will drop a gear and OD is gone Until the road flattens out again.

So a byproduct is you may never see your 10th gear going to larger tires. A 275/70-17 BFG KO2 tire is 32.2” and weights 55lbs each. So if your considering tire A that is 2 lbs heavier but less expensive as tire brand B I would not let those two lbs make the tire choice for you.

The Ranger has an awesome engine/transmission combo.

Finality2020

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
You have to get a ring and pinon set for the ARB locking diffs. The stock ring gear is welded on. Not cool ford...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You have to get a ring and pinon set for the ARB locking diffs. The stock ring gear is welded on. Not cool ford...
Unfortunately true, I'm not a fan of how Ford did such but I am curious if the Front is welded as well.

Finality2020

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
About the only reason I'd re-gear a 10 speed is if; I needed more gear reduction than was available in 1st gear, or your tire height was making 10th gear unusable on the highway. Other than that there's no real reason. It's not like an old 4, 5 or 6 speed with gears a mile apart. I'd just get a tune optimized for your mods and driving style.
The reason I want to regear is to install an ARB air locker. Apparently the e locker from the factory is not able to be installed aftermarket and the stock ring gear is welded to the stock diff.

Finality2020

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
They are making locking diffs since bot all Rangers come with rear lockers and I have yet to see a factory locker for the front.
All rangers do not come with locking rear diffs. Unless you ment it is an option.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The reason I want to regear is to install an ARB air locker. Apparently the e locker from the factory is not able to be installed aftermarket and the stock ring gear is welded to the stock diff.
There is a possibility(key word) that if you install an e-locker rear axle with the switch and activate it in Forscan then it should work. Only a Hypothesis but I do not belive it has been confirmed.