Recommended tires for a 2019 Ranger for mixed use?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe deform wasn't the best term, perhaps deflection is better. Tires deflect to produce grip by design, and they definitely deflect more than one might assume.

When you do the chalk test, you're only optimizing for parking lot speeds at parking lot temperatures, which is why it's not my favorite method. Now, I do agree that it's better than guessing or waiting, but when there's so many other factors that don't get accounted for in a parking lot chalk test it's hard for me to "swear by it".

Admittedly, there are not many other tire tests that one can do on their own without fancy equipment, so yes, chalk tests are a great place to start. I guess my point is that chalk tests can provide good info only within certain contexts.
Ok...gotcha.

The issue is tire manufacturer cannot provide PSI recommendations for every vehicle or application.

Start with the tire recommended PSI.
Chalk to tweek for your vehicle.
This will be good for most of your miles. Agreed not all.

Of course if you tow, haul, etc. This changes what is required for that circumstance.

Its the best we can do, unless you have a bldg full of neat equipment.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's great to hear. How is the noise compared to the wildpeaks? Were you comparing the same tire sizes in Wildpeaks and Discoverer AT3?

Wildpeaks are louder. Very happy with both actually. Would recommend either.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Wildpeaks are louder. Very happy with both actually. Would recommend either.
Hounddog, did you chalk test your AT3’s? Just curious what psi you’re running. I am running mine at 33 psi, but that’s a seat of the pants guess. The installer put them at 35, but they felt a bit firm, so I dropped them to 33 and they feel good and seem to be wearing ok. I’m due for a rotation, so Ill see what they tell me about the wear when I take it in.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This has been an awesome discussion of tires. I am curious if country of origin has come into the decision making at all. There are a lot of great tire recommendations, but I would always lean toward a US tire if possible.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hounddog, did you chalk test your AT3’s? Just curious what psi you’re running. I am running mine at 33 psi, but that’s a seat of the pants guess. The installer put them at 35, but they felt a bit firm, so I dropped them to 33 and they feel good and seem to be wearing ok. I’m due for a rotation, so Ill see what they tell me about the wear when I take it in.
I dod. I am running 33. That was summer. Waiting for some dry roads this winter to see if it changes in cold weather.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
This has been an awesome discussion of tires. I am curious if country of origin has come into the decision making at all. There are a lot of great tire recommendations, but I would always lean toward a US tire if possible.
The coopers in 265/65/17 are made usa, as are the toyo.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I run my 265/70/17 Wildpeaks at 30psi and I find the ride is good. Anything more and it starts getting too bumpy. Any less and mileage starts dropping more. According to a tire calculator I found (https://tirepressure.com/tire-pressure-calculator) where you input your stock tire and factory recommended PSI, it recommends I run these at 27psi, but I find that too low.
I think the tire pressure calculator is only intended to tell you where you have to inflate the new tire to equal the load rating of the tire you are replacing. It tells me that Cooper AT3’s in 265/70 only need to be inflated to 26 psi to achieve an equivalent load rating to the 30 psi of the Hankooks in 265/65. But, that does not necessarily mean that 26 psi is the best psi for ride comfort, mpg or tire wear. I find that 33 psi is much better for all those reasons and the side benefit of running that pressure is a greater load capacity as well.
Sponsored