Rear Tow Hooks

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I was out at the local salvage yard and remembered this post from a while back, so for 20.00 I snagged some front tow hooks from an F150. I then sandblasted them and painted them Ford blue to match my front tow hooks I had previously painted blue. Very easy install, and was cheap entertainment for the afternoon.

IMG_8913.jpeg

IMG_8916.jpeg

IMG_8924.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I was out at the local salvage yard and remembered this post from a while back, so for 20.00 I snagged some front tow hooks from an F150. I then sandblasted them and painted them Ford blue to match my front tow hooks I had previously painted blue. Very easy install, and was cheap entertainment for the afternoon.

IMG_8913.jpeg

IMG_8916.jpeg

IMG_8924.jpeg
Yours look to be clear of the bumper lower...did you space them?

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
No spacers. I thought at first I might need a few washers for the rear hole I drilled but they weren’t necessary. There is some ability to manipulate the clearance to the bumper based on how you tighten the bolts.

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
I had a pair of old front tow hooks I took off an F150 when I put a bull bar on it. Got looking at them a while ago and thought maybe they could be adapted as rear tow hooks on the Ranger. Turns out it is a very easy mod and install. I believe these are the same on all F150's from 2009-2019.
I removed the rear most bolt mounting the trailer hitch to the frame. Then I enlarged the slotted hole on the hook just a bit so the bolt would fit through it. If you hold it in place you will see where it interferes slightly and I ground it off on the hook itself, to allow it to sit flat. You will notice that it fits inside the U shape of the hitch perfectly and is held captive. At that point I installed the bolt I had taken out and snugged it. Then I marked the frame rail for the second bolt and drilled it. Installed another bolt and final tightened. Very happy with the way it turned out and a very cheap mod. You can even buy those same hooks online in chrome!

Ranger1.jpg

Ranger2.jpg

Ranger3.jpg

Ranger4.jpg

Ranger5.jpg
Looking into doing this. Any concerns about drilling into the tow hitch receiver frame with regards to weakening/cracking of the frame under load?

OP
OP

Sasktechy

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Looking into doing this. Any concerns about drilling into the tow hitch receiver frame with regards to weakening/cracking of the frame under load?
No concerns at all. Basically if I recall just barely enlarged the holes to use a stronger bolt for mounting.

Dmitri

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT FX4
Hey guys, has anyone tried to use those rear recovery points? Is it durable using only one bolt?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i was wondering if anyone had used them yet as well. my concern is not if they will hold up etc but if its so close to the bumper that it may contact the bumper with a solid yank.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
i was wondering if anyone had used them yet as well. my concern is not if they will hold up etc but if its so close to the bumper that it may contact the bumper with a solid yank.
I haven’t had to use them yet but I don’t have any concerns with them hitting my bumper even with a very hard yank or heavy pull.

Dmitri

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT FX4
I’m using two bolts on mine, I drilled an additional hole and using a nut and bolt.
Is it possible to share pictures how you mounted it? I’m thinking between hitch receiver vs tow recovery rings installation.

OP
OP

Sasktechy

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys, has anyone tried to use those rear recovery points? Is it durable using only one bolt?
Haven't done any really hard pulling, but no reason to think it would not hold up. I mounted using 2 bolts, so not sure why anyone would just use the one......

Dmitri

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT FX4
Haven't done any really hard pulling, but no reason to think it would not hold up. I mounted using 2 bolts, so not sure why anyone would just use the one......
Did you drill any extra holes? Or what kind of tow hooks you mounted that it fits for two bolts? Any pictures if possible. Thanks.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sasktechy posted pictures on the first page of his setup, mine is identical to that. I just drilled a through hole for the second bolt and used a nut and washer on the backside. These front tow hooks from the older F150's fit very nice between the rails.
Sponsored