First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
That is a very useful idea.

Benny at Levittown Ford has been treating Forum members very well, and their prices for OEM parts are significantly better then my local dealer, (even when shipping is included) I will probably buy the parts from him new and have them shipped in. New Truck, New parts.

I was simply whining about something else that Ford chose to not include on a 2021 Ranger Lariat. Missing front tow hooks, missing engine cover, missing (for years) tiedown hooks. they were even missing the build and price page when I ordered the truck so that I could not investigate what else they were planning to remove. as noted else where, they even removed the ability to fold the rear seat head rest. they removed the bash plate from the FX2 (a plastic clone in its place).

I am amazed that the truck still comes with a full size spare.

What Else will Ford remove next from the ranger? (that topic already exist)

I keep spending money on things that should have been on a $41100.00 OTD Truck.

AND

I still love this truck.

I have a set of Chrome FX4 Tow hooks for sale if you're interested, as well as a black set of non FX4 tow hooks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to tell from the angle, but it almost looks like there is enough room to slide the hook loop through the slot from the back and bolt it to the frame, but I'm sure you have tried 10 ways to Sunday by now. Is the slot not large enough or does the frame rail not align with the slot or both?
The slot is 3/4" below the rail. It looks like I will be attempting surgery on the lower valance. I am terrible when it come to cutting things in a straight line. If I mess it up, a 2020MY valance will work, I would just have to paint it to match. I will wait until I am in a better mood before I attempt to do this. I will probably mark the valance while on the truck, then remove it and cut it on my work bench. If I am successful I will post pictures, If I am unsuccessful I will post tears and $ signs.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
The slot is 3/4" below the rail. It looks like I will be attempting surgery on the lower valance. I am terrible when it come to cutting things in a straight line. If I mess it up, a 2020MY valance will work, I would just have to paint it to match. I will wait until I am in a better mood before I attempt to do this. I will probably mark the valance while on the truck, then remove it and cut it on my work bench. If I am successful I will post pictures, If I am unsuccessful I will post tears and $ signs.
Best of luck. I hope it turns out the way you want without spending the extra $$$$.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I also have a set of black factory tow hooks from my '19 Lariat available. Got the Ford blue editions at delivery time and keep the black ones. Just collecting dust. Let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Success, only 2 small tears, Nicked the paint and broke a tab removing the valance.
20210123_080104.jpg
20210123_095125.jpg

20210123_075303.jpg

20210123_095058.jpg

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
I have a 2020 FX2. It did come with Tow hooks, but they lack the bracket needed to install the front skid plate. the one's you got are 4x4 hooks, and will alow you to install a factory skid/bash plate if you want. I Removed the fake plastic bash plate, installed 2 4x4 (like yours) tow hooks, then installed the factory steel bash, and trans plates. the Frame is tapped for the bash plate bolts so you should be able to add on as i did. C.

Might have to sprng for a 4x4 front valance as well. or get a junk yard one.

Skidder.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 FX2. It did come with Tow hooks, but they lack the bracket needed to install the front skid plate. the one's you got are 4x4 hooks, and will alow you to install a factory skid/bash plate if you want. I Removed the fake plastic bash plate, installed 2 4x4 (like yours) tow hooks, then installed the factory steel bash, and trans plates. the Frame is tapped for the bash plate bolts so you should be able to add on as i did. C.

Might have to sprng for a 4x4 front valance as well. or get a junk yard one.

Skidder.jpg
Yep, that is the long term plan. Like someone recently stated. A nice Ranger can easily turn into a money pit. I wanted both the black package and the FX2. Could only get one. Chose black plus the dif. Now I get to mod it into a FX2 minus the sticker.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Yep, that is the long term plan. Like someone recently stated. A nice Ranger can easily turn into a money pit. I wanted both the black package and the FX2. Could only get one. Chose black plus the dif. Now I get to mod it into a FX2 minus the sticker.
Really the FX2 is just the Diff and tires. FX shocks are Horrific and I actually stuck them in the trash bin instaed of selling them to some unsuspecting person, After the Bilstien upgrade, that's how bad they are. Dealer said springs were he same p/n as non FX springs. All and all, I'm basically done modding my Truck. You should run the Sticker, it would look good an Red.

OP
OP
Larrykime

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Really the FX2 is just the Diff and tires. FX shocks are Horrific and I actually stuck them in the trash bin instaed of selling them to some unsuspecting person, After the Bilstien upgrade, that's how bad they are. Dealer said springs were he same p/n as non FX springs. All and all, I'm basically done modding my Truck. You should run the Sticker, it would look good an Red.
My current suspension is the basic 4X2. The ride really is not bad. Better then some FX4's that I rented prior to buying this truck. I am actually surprised at how well it rides. You are correct about the fx2 suspension. I was thinking of about a 2" lift in the front. And better shocks all around.
The forum is still trying to teach me the best way to proceed.

The truck is still too new to stop spending money on it yet. Tweeking it seems like a better hobby then other things I have pursued in the past.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Can someone please measure the thickness of the tow hooks stock? I mean the bar that they were made out of.

I have no such hooks on my European model but I can easily fabricate them out of mild steel. They may not be rated tow hooks, but at least they will serve some purpose, if not only for looks and mild steel (thick enough) is going to be elastic and not break as carbon steel (depending on tempering).

Thank you!

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Wait what? You got a full size spare? I thought everyone received an undersized wheel with a tire size appropriate to approximate the same diameter as on the wheels.
Front tow hooks were most definitely standard issue on my 2019 Lariat 4X2. It's a shame Ford deleted them.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can somebody please help with a thickness measurement of the stock of the hook? I am greatly appreciating this nugget of information. From my eye-balling, this would be around 16mm which would be 5/8". Thank you in advance.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can somebody please help with a thickness measurement of the stock of the hook? I am greatly appreciating this nugget of information. From my eye-balling, this would be around 16mm which would be 5/8". Thank you in advance.
Hi Ono,

My Lariat chrome OEM toe hooks mic out at 20.55mm

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Phil! I appreciate it!