Rear seat wedge for doggo

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Ok, I have searched quite a bit for this. Does anyone make a wedge like device, maybe hard foam, that you just toss in the back seat to level it up so the pooch has a comfortable, level and stable surface to ride on? I made a really crappy one out of wood but it is not so great.
Sponsored

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I'd love to find something too, unfortunately most of the ones I've seen won't fit in the back of a Supercab

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I'll be posting about my overpriced endeavor to make the rear Scab seat into Cheech's domain. I have the 4knines 54" cover and then he has a bed on top of that on one side.

I ordered a custom "cushion" to fill the rear and hopefully bring him up to the height of the armrest. Cheech is a little, but tough, guy and has a hard time seeing out the back windows, so his cushion is 6 inches thick. It's also Dacron covered with a Sunbrella fabric cover.

To say it costs a bit is an understatement. *roll eyes*

Supposedly, it'll get here tomorrow. I ordered it about a month ago from https://www.foamorder.com/ based off of a recommendation on this forum.

As to the angle, well, I'm not so custom on that and am thinking a couple of rolled up towels will make it level and that the foam is firm enough to not need front support (Cheech is 20 pounds, so we'll see).

I do like the suggestion above with the filler piece (I think it's storage too Edit: I was thinking of another one but I think the solid foam one above would be more comfortable).

Once I get the cushion in (I'm nervous it might be too big at 54" wide by 18" deep and the 6 inches thick, but I measured many times ...) I'll take lots of pics and explain what worked and what didn't.

This is the bed he has, he had one in Kate's Corolla and liked it a lot. He's a trembling nervous wreck in the car but does eventually wear himself out and sleep in this little bed.

https://www.amazon.com/BLOBLO-Carrier-Travel-Booster-Storage/dp/B07NV1H4QF?th=1
1658886372138.png

So peaceful, until someone walks by and he turns into a tiny terror!
cheech-in-yard-wp.jpg

Lunch break on Log Cabin Island while kayaking on Pawtuckaway Lake.
cheech-island.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
What about a huge bean bag or a couple midsized ones. I use them a filler my screws back seat on the floor. Works well and they flatten out over the contours.
And those sound like they'd be great to pull out and watch a sunset with a beer.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
And those sound like they'd be great to pull out and watch a sunset with a beer.
Gotta love versatility!!! Leather or Pleather they work great!!! None of the copycat chair bean bags just plain old school bean bags!!!

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Gotta love versatility!!! Leather or Pleather they work great!!! None of the copycat chair bean bags just plain old school bean bags!!!
And dog hair doesn’t stick, another plus!!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

newtremorguy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Dad stuff
I tried a "wedge" for the back seat, but my 80-pound Boxer would always find a way to slip his long leg in between the seat and the wedge...even placing a blanket on top, he would manage to get stuck. Like typical Boxers, most of his weight is in his front. I think with smaller pooches, this wouldn't be an issue.
Eventually, I bought this and have had good success with it. In addition, it can fold by half, if needed, to accommodate another backseat passenger. https://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Backse...holder+&+pocket,+up+to+100+lbs,aps,120&sr=8-1

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
My dogs don't ride in the cab....
20210508_144518.jpg

But I have thought about one of these out back for longer drives...

shags-wags-original-pet-bean-bag-1.jpg
Holy cow, err, holy bears! Those are big dogs and just fit in the bed! =D

One of yours is probably about 6 Cheechs!

But they are great looking dogs that look like they love going places. =)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Holy cow, err, holy bears! Those are big dogs and just fit in the bed! =D

One of yours is probably about 6 Cheechs!

But they are great looking dogs that look like they love going places. =)

They love to ride for sure. Oliver's, the Saint, favorite chariot is our YJ. The dude goes nuts when he hears it idling in the garage.

Betcha Cheech would have a blast in the back. Just pad the walls a bit!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I tried a "wedge" for the back seat, but my 80-pound Boxer would always find a way to slip his long leg in between the seat and the wedge...even placing a blanket on top, he would manage to get stuck. Like typical Boxers, most of his weight is in his front. I think with smaller pooches, this wouldn't be an issue.
Eventually, I bought this and have had good success with it. In addition, it can fold by half, if needed, to accommodate another backseat passenger. https://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Backseat-Reversible-Resistant-Universal/dp/B0888TJNRS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27ADV5E3JRQUK&keywords=Kurgo+Dog+Backseat+Bridge+Car+Extender,+Seat+Bridge+for+Dogs,+Padded+Pet+Car+Barrier,+Reversible,+Water+Resistant,+Universal+Fit,+Cup+Holder+&+Pocket,+Up+to+100+lbs&qid=1658900566&sprefix=kurgo+dog+backseat+bridge+car+extender,+seat+bridge+for+dogs,+padded+pet+car+barrier,+reversible,+water+resistant,+universal+fit,+cup+holder+&+pocket,+up+to+100+lbs,aps,120&sr=8-1
Our Cheech tore his CCL (like our ACL) when we left him in the car for less than 5 minutes (windows down a bit, parked in the shade, in our sight, while we picked up new glasses).

We think he got his legs stuck between the seat and the center console/cup holder in our old Corolla. He's a big nervous wreck in the car, so going back and forth in the front seats, and standing on his rear legs to look out the windows, is typical for him. We'd already brought him for a partial CCL tear on the one leg and were advised to let that heal on its own. We got home and he couldn't put any wait on his other rear leg—the "good" leg.

Fortunately, we have a really great vet who does both small and large animals (plus Kate's an administrator at Tufts vet school and gets great advice from them). He had a CCL surgery where they use monofilament line to act as a ligament to hold the knee joint together. The vet gave me quite a visual when I asked how strong it was: "you could twirl him over your head by his leg and be okay, but don't!" =D

Four weeks later, Cheech was running again with no limp. Of course he had more physical therapy than any human would get—cold laser, physical therapy, and even a hot pebble massage (I'm ashamed to have such a fancy pants thing as that for him and would never have that for myself). But our kid has been full-grown for nearly 30 years and Cheech may be a bit of a "fur baby" for us (read: I should get such a life!). =D

All this to say - good move on finding a great solution for your dog.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
They love to ride for sure. Oliver's, the Saint, favorite chariot is our YJ. The dude goes nuts when he hears it idling in the garage.

Betcha Cheech would have a blast in the back. Just pad the walls a bit!
LOL, I could toss him in there - the BedRug should be good and he's so small that you could close the tonneau over him! But we'd need to put in a dome window for him to look out of! =D

1658924583991.png

1658924864774.png
Sponsored