Rear Car Seat and Occupant Safety Question

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Old thread, but anyone else have car seats in their Rangers? I’m trying to decide on a seat to buy and would like to see what fits well.
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread, but anyone else have car seats in their Rangers? I’m trying to decide on a seat to buy and would like to see what fits well.
Here is mine installed behind the drivers seat. I’m 5’9 and there is about 2” of clearance. It’s important to have some clearance. If I was taller I’d install in middle or behind passenger. Crew cab lariat.

41F49751-69AB-4517-9A79-031CA5668480.jpeg
238609CC-0036-41D9-95AE-06BD6C4E8AEC.jpeg
09F85BFD-974D-47F3-B6E8-F8BDB6553510.jpeg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Here is mine installed behind the drivers seat. I’m 5’9 and there is about 2” of clearance. It’s important to have some clearance. If I was taller I’d install in middle or behind passenger. Crew cab lariat.
Thanks! That's excellent information as I'm looking to buy a Lariat Supercrew, I'm only an inch taller and that's one of the car seats we're considering. Are you happy with the Extend2fit?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! That's excellent information as I'm looking to buy a Lariat Supercrew, I'm only an inch taller and that's one of the car seats we're considering. Are you happy with the Extend2fit?
Yes, seems like it’s very high quality and easy to install. My daughter just transitioned to it a few weeks ago so I don’t have a ton of experience but she seems to like it fine too! Since she can’t speak yet I’ll just take limited ”fuss” as an answer.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, seems like it’s very high quality and easy to install. My daughter just transitioned to it a few weeks ago so I don’t have a ton of experience but she seems to like it fine too! Since she can’t speak yet I’ll just take limited ”fuss” as an answer.
Also, note I have a protective pad I got on Amazon. Hoping not to permanently crease the “leather”.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, note I have a protective pad I got on Amazon. Hoping not to permanently crease the “leather”.
Great, thanks! My daughter will soon be outgrowing the infant seat she's currently in. I do have her seat on one of those pads as well, even with the cloth seats in my current Colorado.

mikemac58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/2019 Ranger Lariat
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have a Super Crew and I was able to get a Graco Slim Fit installed using the bottom latch and top tether. However; the top tether is going to be really tough to remove as the web slide tightner is BEHIND the seat.

Howopeeps

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rouge
Anyone install and infant rear facing and a front facing toddler seat. Was wondering how much room in the middle seat. Or anyone put the seats next to each other.

Gcoop81

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2012 ,Toyota Prius C
I have a Chico keyfit 30 I believe, I’m 6’2” and we have it installed on passenger side

I can sit there and have about an inch or so of legroom between my knees and dash

adamingles

First Name
Adam Ingles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Has anyone had any experience removing the back bench seat and installing a jump seat on one side and then a toddler car seat on the other? I see in the delete seat option the toddler car seat hook rings are still there. Struggling with leg room for toddler in car seat. I have the XLT SuperCrew Cab

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone had any experience removing the back bench seat and installing a jump seat on one side and then a toddler car seat on the other? I see in the delete seat option the toddler car seat hook rings are still there. Struggling with leg room for toddler in car seat. I have the XLT SuperCrew Cab
I’m not sure that would be a good idea. I’m not too familiar with the Supercab rear seats but I think the hooks would be set up for a car seat to be at the height it would be if it were on top of the seat, not on the floor of the cab if that’s what you’re explaining.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure that would be a good idea. I’m not too familiar with the Supercab rear seats but I think the hooks would be set up for a car seat to be at the height it would be if it were on top of the seat, not on the floor of the cab if that’s what you’re explaining.
He's asking if he can remove the seat back itself, which for some reason, is not a 60/40 on our Rangers, so the entire seatback would get removed. This would allow him to shift the forward facing seat further rearward, providing his child with more leg room. However, you would no longer have a seat back for the other half of the truck. So he's looking for a solution that provides 1 adult seat and removes the seat back on the otherside for additional leg clearance for a kid.

I would be concerned that if you removed the seat back and moved the child seat rearward, that it would not be situated properly. I don't believe it's a nice flat surface for you to install it if you pull it out. Plus you lose all cushion to ratchet into. I think the better option would be to examine either a different child seat, or just moving your passenger seat forward a bit. You're going to end up with a safety compromised seating position for your child, and you're going to have to do some custom work to cut your seat into a 60/40 arrangement so you can install the other half of it... And for the money spent there, you could just buy the right seat for your truck.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's asking if he can remove the seat back itself, which for some reason, is not a 60/40 on our Rangers, so the entire seatback would get removed. This would allow him to shift the forward facing seat further rearward, providing his child with more leg room. However, you would no longer have a seat back for the other half of the truck. So he's looking for a solution that provides 1 adult seat and removes the seat back on the otherside for additional leg clearance for a kid.

I would be concerned that if you removed the seat back and moved the child seat rearward, that it would not be situated properly. I don't believe it's a nice flat surface for you to install it if you pull it out. Plus you lose all cushion to ratchet into. I think the better option would be to examine either a different child seat, or just moving your passenger seat forward a bit. You're going to end up with a safety compromised seating position for your child, and you're going to have to do some custom work to cut your seat into a 60/40 arrangement so you can install the other half of it... And for the money spent there, you could just buy the right seat for your truck.
Thanks, I was thinking SuperCab not SuperCrew. I can see how that would help with legroom but I don’t think the anchors would be in the right place for the car seat after the seat back is removed.

Cshep102

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Fx4, 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Hey @Randy2400h , Any chance you still have that Nuna Pipa laying around? I'm looking at infant seats now, and was curious how it would fit into the Ranger.
Sponsored