RAT Stat 170* thermostat

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
I ordered the Unleashed Ecoboost Ranger Power Pack and it comes with plugs and a cooler thermostat. I tried the search button several different ways and cannot find anything.

How do we change the thermostat in our trucks? Bleeding procedure, etc.

"Introducing "The RAT Stat" - proudly Made In USA - these thermostats will bring your average Ecoboost temperatures from 198°-215° down to the 180°-192° range*. Cooler motors make more power! Especially these turbocharged beasts! "
Screenshot_20210109-160912_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So the thermostat is located underneath the throttle bodie. Look for the lower radiator hose and it will lead you too it. Most likely you will need the remove the hot side pipe and you most likely will be able to access it. After replacement it is best to put the cooling system under a vacuum with a filler tool. Harbor Freight has one at a good price and uses shop air(air compressor if you have one). Doing it that way you will most likely not have any air pockets and have a nice running truck.

A side note, make sure the tune is set for the colder thermostat and plugs.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
So the thermostat is located underneath the throttle bodie. Look for the lower radiator hose and it will lead you too it. Most likely you will need the remove the hot side pipe and you most likely will be able to access it. After replacement it is best to put the cooling system under a vacuum with a filler tool. Harbor Freight has one at a good price and uses shop air(air compressor if you have one). Doing it that way you will most likely not have any air pockets and have a nice running truck.

A side note, make sure the tune is set for the colder thermostat and plugs.
Thank you for the good info. I dont have compressed air at home so I may have someone else put it in for me. I dont want to deal with the bothersome air bubble in the system that comes and goes and can't be diagnosed. Rather it done right the first time.
Screenshot_20210110-225332_Drive.jpg

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you for the good info. I dont have compressed air at home so I may have someone else put it in for me. I dont want to deal with the bothersome air bubble in the system that comes and goes and can't be diagnosed. Rather it done right the first time.
Screenshot_20210110-225332_Drive.jpg
With that said it may benifit you to go to the local dealer or shop you trust to get it done.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This wont do anything usefull except cost you money for a part you dont need...
Not entirely true sir. If(key word here) the tune is designed for the lower temperature thermostat then it will be beneficial. If it is not designed to run the lower temp thermostat then it wont do any good.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Not entirely true sir. If(key word here) the tune is designed for the lower temperature thermostat then it will be beneficial. If it is not designed to run the lower temp thermostat then it wont do any good.
I would think if there is fuel contaminating the oil in many trucks, we would want to run the higher temps to keep the rings at the correct gap at the higher temps. I don't see how a 20 degree in fuel or timing scaling would do anything useful.

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
Does the Rat Stat 170F have a part #?

Is this it> Rat-Stat 170-Ford-2.0

Unleashed Rat Stat 170F

Regardless of the negativity here.... I want to order one & install in my truck with the stock tune.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does the Rat Stat 170F have a part #?

Is this it> Rat-Stat 170-Ford-2.0

Unleashed Rat Stat 170F

Regardless of the negativity here.... I want to order one & install in my truck with the stock tune.
I would suggest not installing it if you are keeping the stock tune. Why you might ask? Simple you could throw a check engine light. The computers of today are much more advanced compared to way long ago. Also the heater may not be as hot when it is cold out. If you want to run that thermostat you would be best to tune it at the same time.

That is my input on this.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I would suggest not installing it if you are keeping the stock tune. Why you might ask? Simple you could throw a check engine light. The computers of today are much more advanced compared to way long ago. Also the heater may not be as hot when it is cold out. If you want to run that thermostat you would be best to tune it at the same time.

That is my input on this.

Id wager one would never notice the heat difference in cab. The heating system IS still drawing off a source thats nearly 200° lol.

"Cooler motors make more power!" The car myth that refuses to die.

This.

A hotter motor will burn its a/f mixture more completely than a cooler one, increasing power and fuel economy.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
To each their own! You do what you want to your truck!
Personally I don’t think a colder thermostat will make any noticeable difference but again....do what you want!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I think that the cooler stat and plugs are all about protecting the cylinder head, if you add more boost and more fuel you get more heat, more heat in the cc can result in pre-ignition so you can conceivably lose power if knock causes a retard of timing and reduces boost.
Reducing the overall engine operating temp can have a negative effect in that it will take longer to evap fuel in the oil, but that depends on the type of driving whether it matters.
As to impact on the cabin heat - differs a lot from engine to engine but I'd suspect on a turbo gdi motor it wouldn't make a huge difference.
So to me the cooler plugs and tsat are probably a good thing with respect to engine protection.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
if you add more boost and more fuel you get more heat, more heat in the cc can result in pre-ignition so you can conceivably lose power if knock causes a retard of timing and reduces boost.
This is why performance tunes call for higher octane. If your cylinder head temperatures are too high then your coolant temps are too high. The fan is going to be fully engaged and the thermostat is going to be wide open whether it opened at 170* or 190*. A colder t-stat isn't going to offer any protection. The thermostat is there to keep the engine warm not cool it down.

Last edited:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Livernois is working on a lower temperature thermostat (160) for our Rangers. It's in final development right now on test trucks from what I was told by Anthony. I inquired about the thermostats they had listed for our trucks on their website and he told me those are incorrect and not for our trucks. One is for a 2.3 Mustang and the other is for an F150 I believe. Waiting to see what they come out with and tune for :wink:
Sponsored