Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Get ‘em Cape Cruiser!!!
I think a lot of forum members are putting traps in our garages since this thread started, including me! After about a week, no takers, which either means that there are no rodents in my garage, or that they are "smarter than the average bear," as Yogi used to say.
Sponsored

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Made a screen to keep critters out of the intake.

image-629-png.png

Next up is the cowl fresh air intake area which has large holes around the wipers and behind the hood hin

Nice. Like others I wonder if a finer screen would be more likely to keep the field mice out out of the cab.

Similar screen might benefit the cab vents. Those would admit a mouse easily. Removing the seats only takes a few minutes to install..

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Nice. Like others I wonder if a finer screen would be more likely to keep the field mice out out of the cab.

Similar screen might benefit the cab vents. Those would admit a mouse easily. Removing the seats only takes a few minutes to install..
If I can determine which cowl areas to plug, I'll use a finer mesh. Should also help keep leaves and other debris out of the blend air housing. That housing (#13) may fasten to the interior side of the firewall.

Hoping for a simple screen install on the engine bay side.

Image 700.png

Good point about the large rear vents. I haven't removed my seat backs. Are those vents simple rubber flappers ?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Good point about the large rear vents. I haven't removed my seat backs. Are those vents simple rubber flappers ?
Yes. Very lightweight soft thin rubber flaps. Nothing that would keep a mouse out and the holes are large enough I would suspect a small rat would have no problem.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
If I can determine which cowl areas to plug, I'll use a finer mesh. Should also help keep leaves and other debris out of the blend air housing. That housing (#13) may fasten to the interior side of the firewall.

Hoping for a simple screen install on the engine bay side.

This post has a good photo of the vents from inside.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...eed-advice-on-sound-proofing.7976/post-146674

The flaps are super light. With the seats off, turning the air on even at the lowest levels would typically blow them all wide open while driving.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
RR, exterminator only wanted to put poison out and i wasnt too big on that. There are lots of eagles and fox around and I wouldnt want them to eat poisoned mice. 8 snap traps set now and i caught 2 mice, but I knew rats where around cause of the big poop !
Good call !
and I'm always on the lookout for rodent poop. :inspect:

Pulled a dead mouse out of my pups mouth on our walk last night. Something he rooted out of a hedge. A week or so ago it was either a decomposed rat or bird, I didn't really inspect it just chucked that thing away quick fast.

I've discovered there's not much a Lab pup wont pick up and woof down. Cute, but gotta have eyes in your axe with this guy !

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Damn it! First time driving my truck in two weeks today because Covid and my GF opened the glove box the napkins and paper towels she stores in there were shredded. Now I have a rodent in my truck! From the size of the droppings, I'd say mouse. The squirrels around me filled the blower box of my Elantra with acorns so every time I turned a corner, they would roll around. That was beyond aggravating.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Damn it! First time driving my truck in two weeks today because Covid and my GF opened the glove box the napkins and paper towels she stores in there were shredded. Now I have a rodent in my truck! From the size of the droppings, I'd say mouse. The squirrels around me filled the blower box of my Elantra with acorns so every time I turned a corner, they would roll around. That was beyond aggravating.
Whew!
It's beginning to look like this thread is a jinx!!
Anyone that reads it now has mice in the truck ... or worse!
I highly recommend:
Amazon.com : Snap-E Mouse Trap-6 Pack : Home Pest Control Traps : Home & Kitchen
They & peanut butter work great!
Good luck folks,
Joe

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Made a screen to keep critters out of the intake.

image-629-png.png
Years ago I made something similar out of old window screen for one of my cars. Idea was to keep debris and critters out of the filter housing. Problem was leaves would collect in it in the fall and cottonwood fuzzies in the spring, clogging it up. In the winter I occasionally had snow buildup. I ended up removing it.

Michael s

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt super cab
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a mouse chew up some gum in the glove box and put dog food in the storage where the jack is stored, I don’t know how he got in there. I hope he has fresh breath from the gum.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
geez... good thing your fuzzy buddy didnt make an intro while you were driving could have caused a wreck. i could see my self feeling the rat around my legs while driving then squealing like a lil bitch lol. i think some of the ladies would have totaled the truck trying to get away from the rat.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
At my old house up in the mountains, I had mice and chipmunks everywhere, I tried everything to keep them out of the house, garage and cars, including scents like cedar and mint (pouches and sprays).

Had one set up a nest in my heater fan below the glove box in my jeep. In the end, a water filled bucket, with a walk the plank trap with some peanut butter on the end, took care of them all. And steel wool in every crevasse as well.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.44.06 AM.png

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
At my old house up in the mountains, I had mice and chipmunks everywhere, I tried everything to keep them out of the house, garage and cars, including scents like cedar and mint (pouches and sprays).

Had one set up a nest in my heater fan below the glove box in my jeep. In the end, a water filled bucket, with a walk the plank trap, with some peanut butter on the end took care of them all. And steel wool in every crevasse as well.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.44.06 AM.png
I had a ladybug plague at our former house and used bronze wool to plug seams and crevices, which was recommended to me by a pest control friend, as steel wool could eventually rust away.