Rat caught in cab of truck!

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
How did he get into the cab? I’ve had them under my hood but found seat material piled up in the driver side rear storage well..
Regards
PS...what did you use for bait ?

DROWN or kill that thing. If you suspect more get a black or corn snake. I hate rats!!

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I figure I'm just supplying an easy dinner to the hawks/owls/foxes/etc.., so I'm doing my part helping wildlife.
Which is why I'd rather not use poison - it gets into the food chain. Could be a pet picks it up. Or, as happened to me, the neighbour puts out poison because he can't keep his trash secure and I ended up with a stinking corps in my basement ceiling - they sometimes go somewhere else to die. Not fun to have to deal with that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
DROWN or kill that thing. If you suspect more get a black or corn snake. I hate rats!!
Hi Kemo,

Down here we have bull snakes...Prettty long large snakes. Most folks freak and try to kill them....they are our friend...they bore down rat holes and feast...They are good snakes...docile and non poisonous. I have handled a few to move them off the roadway. Now Rattler's are also our friend, but a bit more concerning. We have a Snake Hotline here and the folks come out and pick rattelers and deposit them into the desert. They are interested in feeding...We humans are not in their food group, but they have a nasty temper and need to be avoided. That said. Wife and I have had several rattlesnake encounters...no biggie if the rattler can retreat. Only if cornered or otherwise not able to retreat, they will strike. So we just give them room...again we are not in their food group. Comon sense applies. I actually like rattlesnakes and they are protected under Arizona law. I have quite a few rattles in the shop from rattlers that were run over on the road. I have even made one kiilled snake into a hat band for my cowboy hat....

Snow birds ask me if this is a true rattlesnake head band and I relate my bare hand battle with this 5 ft rattler...a fight to the death....Great fun.... never happened. Some car ran over the snake.... Oh well....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Hi Kemo,

Down here we have bull snakes...Prettty long large snakes. Most folks freak and try to kill them....they are our friend...they bore down rat holes and feast...They are good snakes...docile and non poisonous. I have handled a few to move them off the roadway. Now Rattler's are also our friend, but a bit more concerning. We have a Snake Hotline here and the folks come out and pick rattelers and deposit them into the desert. They are interested in feeding...We humans are not in their food group, but they have a nasty temper and need to be avoided. That said. Wife and I have had several rattlesnake encounters...no biggie if the rattler can retreat. Only if cornered or otherwise not able to retreat, they will strike. So we just give them room...again we are not in their food group. Comon sense applies. I actually like rattlesnakes and they are protected under Arizona law. I have quite a few rattles in the shop from rattlers that were run over on the road. I have even made one kiilled snake into a hat band for my cowboy hat....

Snow birds ask me if this is a true rattlesnake head band and I relate my bare hand battle with this 5 ft rattler...a fight to the death....Great fun.... never happened. Some car ran over the snake.... Oh well....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
We encountered this rattler on one of our Superstition Mountain hikes.

We never found any snakes or scorpions for that matter in our neighborhood. I guess before they built there, it was an old cotton field.

874A9B85-0C74-4361-8656-23699F05E10B.png

201B9015-2437-4C38-B243-ACA1A6FF75BB.png

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Kemo,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I’ve never killed a snake. Not even copper heads I’ve nearly stepped on. I just realize that they are here for the purpose of helping control vermin. My old neighbor, who grew up in Del Rio, Tn., actually kept a black snake around her home, particularly in the crawl space. It left, after exhausting its source of food.
So, I’d your Ranger needs a Deputy, deputize a snake, put him under the seat! ?. He’ll leave after solving the rat problem!!?
Kemo Sabe

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Pack rats in the desert: Clean out their middens first. Mix 1 cup flour, add 2 tablespoons Portland cement, add salt & sugar to taste. Set the dry mixture outside in a jar lid & put a jar lid of water nearby. Replenish as needed. Takes about 6 weeks to get rid of them, but it works...

snake.jpg

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I trapped two mice inside the cab after I found a paper all torn up in the back footwell. I also had a pack rat (bushy tail Woodrat) in the engine compartment who chewed the edge of the hood sound deadening pad. I finally caught it in a live trap and drowned the bugger.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so I don't think he is going to chew up any wires or the cabin air filter, but judging by his cap I think he is planning on hanging around a while. ;)?

Ranger skeleton mask.jpg

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Pack rats in the desert: Clean out their middens first. Mix 1 cup flour, add 2 tablespoons Portland cement, add salt & sugar to taste. Set the dry mixture outside in a jar lid & put a jar lid of water nearby. Replenish as needed. Takes about 6 weeks to get rid of them, but it works...
What keeps out rabbits, skunks, raccoons, etc ?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
racoons can fit into a 4" diameter hole.
imagine what a little ol' rat can fit into.

for reference an average human butt hole can stretch to 8" and suffer no damage
thats two whole racoons up your ass.
myth 1: 8" butthole stretch = no damage.
im no ford engineer, but as a career human engineer i can call BS on this one.

myth 2: the ford cab is impenetrable.
im no ford engineer, but i had a mouse get into our cab and glove box (independently) a month back. in my experience mice have no trouble getting into modern cars at camping areas where they have learned where the good grub is. i suspect the fact that most people have not had a mouse or rat in their truck is more related to not having trained mice and rats around, and less some perceived difficulty getting through the firewall.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
myth 1: 8" butthole stretch = no damage.
im no ford engineer, but as a career human engineer i can call BS on this one.

myth 2: the ford cab is impenetrable.
im no ford engineer, but i had a mouse get into our cab and glove box (independently) a month back. in my experience mice have no trouble getting into modern cars at camping areas where they have learned where the good grub is. i suspect the fact that most people have not had a mouse or rat in their truck is more related to not having trained mice and rats around, and less some perceived difficulty getting through the firewall.
Ranger Pride has been Gerbilling ....I guess ....