humanprimate

First Name
Ian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
Is it common for there to be unplugged holes big enough for rats to get into the cabin of the truck? About a week ago I found a bunch of rat crap in the jockey box. I set a trap inside the truck caught a huge freaking rat! This has never happened to any of our other cars.
20201118_125137.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
Is it common for there to be unplugged holes big enough for rats to get into the cabin of the truck? About a week ago I found a bunch of rat crap in the jockey box. I set a trap inside the truck caught a huge freaking rat! This has never happened to want of our other cars.
20201118_125137.jpg
How did he get into the cab? I’ve had them under my hood but found seat material piled up in the driver side rear storage well..
Regards
PS...what did you use for bait ?

OP
humanprimate

humanprimate

First Name
Ian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
How did he get into the cab? I’ve had them under my hood but found seat material piled up in the driver side rear storage well..
Regards
I don't know! I'm going to look for holes between the engine and the cab. I always assumed cabs were sealed up.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I really don't like rats, but that guy does take a good picture 😊.

Had rodents in the camper and under the hood - once a mouse popped out from the windsheild wiper hole while we were driving - but never inside the cab, knock on wood.

Wonder if it got in from an open door/window ?

OP
humanprimate

humanprimate

First Name
Ian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
I really don't like rats, but that guy does take a good picture 😊.

Had rodents in the camper and under the hood - once a mouse popped out from the windsheild wiper hole while we were driving - but never inside the cab, knock on wood.

Wonder if it got in from an open door/window ?
We have a travel trailer (that the ranger tows like a rock star) that we keep rodent proof but never really thought about having to worry about the truck. Definitely didn't come in the window. It's been raining here for the last couple months so the windows have been up. The only way it would have got in through the door is if it Mission Impossibled it's way in when I was getting in myself.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
I don't know! I'm going to look for holes between the engine and the cab. I always assumed cabs were sealed up.
I have that same trap . What did you use for bait ?

painter1

First Name
Ali
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
The only way it would have got in through the door if it Mission Impossibled it's way in when I was getting in myself.
IDK, those buggers can do almost anything !

But yeah, you'll have to go thru the truck. Don't forget the air vents on the rear cab wall.

Good luck !

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
Might have been hiding in the truck a week, I wonder if it sneaked in the door or something at one point? Crazy.

here is a good video for Helping preventing or getting rid of these guys around our vehicles:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Reaction score
Website
www.coroflot.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Modified (sold)
Occupation
Mack Trucks Senior Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Is it common for there to be unplugged holes big enough for rats to get into the cabin of the truck? About a week ago I found a bunch of rat crap in the jockey box. I set a trap inside the truck caught a huge freaking rat! This has never happened to any of our other cars.
20201118_125137.jpg
That's your new buddy (pet)...

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I had mice get into and make nests in my Acura MDX. I did not realize it until I went to get a cracked windshield replaced.

The mice caused $8000 of damage as they had to replace a lot of the interior (not the seats) and the side airbags.

The auto shop then sealed up four places where they could get in.

I sure hope that rat entered through an open door, because I have a ton of mice and chipmunks where I live. I wil” keep my eye open for mouse droppings or acorns. My MDX was full of acorns as well from the chipmunks.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Check your cabin filter. I’ll be checking mine ASAP.

We always have tons of field mice, and the chipmunk population is larger than usual this year. Our garage is pretty tightly sealed, but it only takes one night parked outside for the critters to find their way into a car. I’ve fabricated steel mesh screens for the cabin air intake for several cars.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Vehicle Showcase
20201118_125137.jpg
Next thing you know, he'll be trying to join the Forum. Admin., watch out for any suspicious-looking applicants with names like TRAIL-RAT, RODENT-RIDER, RANGER-RAT, etc.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Project Manager
I've seen them get into the AC System where vehicles pull in fresh air from the outside. He may have gotten that fa and then chewed through the rest to get in. Check your in cabin air filter.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I thought this was going to be about you catching a thief inside your truck or something. I’m not sure which you’d prefer at this point.
I’ve seen this with mice out West in more popular camping spots, but has never happened to me.
I’d do a once over of the engine bay, cabin air filter, and electrical to be safe.

Reactions: Doc

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement