In between my cab and truck bed.

kastory

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Not sure what this is. It is between my cab and bed on the driver’s side. Looks like a gob of adhesive or caulking. Weird.
D7600F13-94A1-4ECE-B575-0371ED0DFFFF.jpeg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what this is. It is between my cab and bed on the driver’s side. Looks like a gob of adhesive or caulking. Weird.
Hi Keith,

Cannot tell for sure, but looks like a bad weld... Do not get the metallic shine of your picture. Seam sealer...maybe but recommend taking it to the dealer for determination and correction if necessary. Normally in the area of concern there is no continuous welding so a bit puzzling. Is your Ranger Gray color?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
kastory

kastory

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Hi Keith,

Cannot tell for sure, but looks like a bad weld... Do not get the metallic shine of your picture. Seam sealer...maybe but recommend taking it to the dealer for determination and correction if necessary. Normally in the area of concern there is no continuous welding so a bit puzzling. Is your Ranger Gray color?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

Yes it is the Magnetic color. So you think I need to get it looked at? I just thought it was just sloppy but it you think it is something to be evaluated, I will.

Thanks,

Keith

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
To me, it looks like that rubber piece that goes between the cab and the box, but it's all balled up and out of place. Mine wasn't installed correctly. It was all twisted up and it took a while to get it sitting correctly. It took a lot of silicone spray and creativity to get it untwisted. That was also the source of a squeak I had.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

That is just some sealer that is applied to the flange joint that is on the back of the cab. The joint is spot welded together and the sealer is just to stop moisture from entering the joint. It is in a place that doesn't really show, so they were not to picky about making it pretty. I would not be too concerned about it. Only folks like me (and you) would even think to look at such things.;)

Cab coach joint sealer web.jpg
?

OP
OP
kastory

kastory

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
That is just some sealer that is applied to the flange joint that is on the back of the cab. The joint is spot welded together and the sealer is just to stop moisture from entering the joint. It is in a place that doesn't really show, so they were not to picky about making it pretty. I would not be too concerned about it. Only folks like me (and you) would even think to look at such things.;)

?
Thanks for the confirmation. It does look like some type of sealer. My other side actually looks similar to your pic.
Thanks

Keith

JaydenNorris

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2.0D EcoBlue MT AWD XLT 2019

?
Read more about cold air intakes for ford ranger here.
Yeah, here you can see that they used a sealer, a rather irresponsible approach, does this bring any problems ??

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, here you can see that they used a sealer, a rather irresponsible approach, does this bring any problems ??
"irresponsible" ?

Sealers, mastics and adhesives are common across all manufacturers. There are many different types, each with its own purpose. This one prevents water leaks and probably helps with sound deadening. Remember when windshields were held in only with the rubber gasket? Now they are glued in with an epoxy sealer that hardens and becomes, along with the reinforced glass, part of the structure of the vehicle. The size of the bead is precisely controlled because it effects the roll over integrity of the vehicle. Some others cure when they go through the paint ovens and help with the structure of the vehicle. Others, expand and then harden in the paint ovens to fill in voids, and seal, and deaden sound. They are a science in and of themselves in automotive design.

I am not looking for an argument, I am just trying to understand your comment. :) ?

JaydenNorris

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2.0D EcoBlue MT AWD XLT 2019
I didn't make myself clear, I'm sorry, it seemed to me that they applied the sealant not properly, if I am wrong, correct me.??

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't make myself clear, I'm sorry, it seemed to me that they applied the sealant not properly, if I am wrong, correct me.??

Now I understand. Sorry I took your comment wrong.

The one we are seeing in this post is pretty sloppy, I agree, but I am guessing it is still effective. There is a leak test booth in the CAL (Customer Acceptance Line) area of the plant where the vehicle is drenched in water that has dye in it that shows up under Ultra Violet light. An assembly technician then inspects for leaks so if this one leaked it would hopefully be found there. Some sealer is applied by humans, some by robots. Usually the ones applied by robots are better looking :crackup: Here is a good example of how that is done.

Last edited:

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of Sealer and such. Here is a page out of a 1969 Mustang order guide. It is very specific about where sealers and such are used. Note the part about an additional 55 pounds of sound deadening material on the Grande/ Mach 1. That would be crazy in todays world where every ounce of weight saving is at such a premium. Of course gas was about .34 cents a gallon (about 1.50 in todays dollars).

1608312388527.png

Attachments

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Thanks for the confirmation. It does look like some type of sealer. My other side actually looks similar to your pic.
Thanks

Keith
Looked at mine closer. Yup. Same goopy mess.
Sponsored