Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
Hi All,

As some of you may recall, I ordered my 2021 XLT in April, and the dealership said their next order allotment would come in late May. I checked in with my (very nice) salesperson last week, and she said the order's still not showing up as being in Ford's system, so no VIN yet. I'm not in a huge hurry, since I locked my price in and don't need the truck for anything particular at the moment, so I'm happy to wait.

That said, my salesperson said she really had no idea how long I'd have to wait, given the current chip shortage and the Ranger plant shutdown in May. So, I've got a couple of questions for anyone in the know:

1. Is the Ranger plant still shut down, or did it reopen as planned after the announced two-week timeframe? (Not a lot of current news online about this, at least that I can find.)

2. Has anyone found any recent updates on the chip shortage?

3. Is anyone else in the same position I am, having ordered in the spring and no real news since?

At this point, I'm genuinely curious whether I'll end up getting a 2021 or a 2022! :)

Thanks!

-Chris
Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Smart ! locking in a good price, sounds like the prices will keep climbing. We will have to see if there are any discounts on old stock when the new Ranger arrives. Ford is offering a $1000 rebate for late build dates. The Ranger is built along with the Bronco at the Wayne Michigan Plant. Ford did shut down the Plant in May because of the chip shortages.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Hi All,

As some of you may recall, I ordered my 2021 XLT in April, and the dealership said their next order allotment would come in late May. I checked in with my (very nice) salesperson last week, and she said the order's still not showing up as being in Ford's system, so no VIN yet. I'm not in a huge hurry, since I locked my price in and don't need the truck for anything particular at the moment, so I'm happy to wait.

That said, my salesperson said she really had no idea how long I'd have to wait, given the current chip shortage and the Ranger plant shutdown in May. So, I've got a couple of questions for anyone in the know:

1. Is the Ranger plant still shut down, or did it reopen as planned after the announced two-week timeframe? (Not a lot of current news online about this, at least that I can find.)

2. Has anyone found any recent updates on the chip shortage?

3. Is anyone else in the same position I am, having ordered in the spring and no real news since?

At this point, I'm genuinely curious whether I'll end up getting a 2021 or a 2022! :)

Thanks!

-Chris
I’d be skeptical that you don’t have a VIN by now. They should be able to provide your Ford order number and VIN. I think I had my VIN about 1-2 weeks after I ordered my Lariart last July.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Smart ! locking in a good price, sounds like the prices will keep climbing. We will have to see if there are any discounts on old stock when the new Ranger arrives. Ford is offering a $1000 rebate for late build dates. The Ranger is built along with the Bronco at the Wayne Michigan Plant. Ford did shut down the Plant in May because of the chip shortages.
Ordered a loaded tremor feb28 delivered may 13.. no issues.. no communications from dealer / ford diring wait. Ford tracking date moved in and out about 10 days...

OP
OP
greypilgrim76

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
English Professor
Ford is offering a $1000 rebate for late build dates.
Hadn't heard about that! Might have to see if I can track down the info to pass on to my salesperson...

I’d be skeptical that you don’t have a VIN by now. They should be able to provide your Ford order number and VIN. I think I had my VIN about 1-2 weeks after I ordered my Lariart last July.
I think my order got transmitted to Ford while the Ranger plant was shut down. Part of the reason I'm curious if they've restarted production is to decide whether I should be worried about my lack of VIN yet.

Ordered a loaded tremor feb28 delivered may 13.. no issues.. no communications from dealer / ford diring wait. Ford tracking date moved in and out about 10 days...
I can't remember exactly when the chip shortage started impacting Ford, but it sounds like you might've gotten in just before the feces hit the fan. :)

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Chris, it's gonna take a while. I ordered on Sept. 01, '20, and the truck arrived on Dec. 06. It's the longest I've ever waited on a special order vehicle. But, the Ranger is worth the wait.

RescueMe1060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Dept. of Public Works
To echo what I've posted in another similar thread I ordered my Ranger on April 5th with an estimate of 20 weeks until delivery. To this day I have no update from the dealer other than its still in "scheduling", still no VIN just an order number. For me, the Ranger that I ordered is just a dream at this point.....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Last I saw (read) is that nothing has really changed with the chip shortage. It doesn't look good as far as them getting back up to full speed anytime soon. The cut off date for the year is usually around late August so there's still some hope yours will be built. ?

Yes, MAP is back up and running after their break. They've actually been pumping out Bronco's the past few weeks for dealer mannequins and some customer have already received their VIN #.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Last I saw (read) is that nothing has really changed with the chip shortage. It doesn't look good as far as them getting back up to full speed anytime soon. The cut off date for the year is usually around late August so there's still some hope yours will be built. ?

Yes, MAP is back up and running after their break. They've actually been pumping out Bronco's the past few weeks for dealer mannequins and some customer have already received their VIN #.
I saw a picture of the fire at the chip manufacturer. It wasn't a pretty site to say the least. It's quite sad that most of America's manufacturing capability has been sent overseas thanks to greedy politicians, and American's that would save a dime just to buy foreign crap. IMHO

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Ordered my Lariat Sport March 2 took delivery May 3.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I saw a picture of the fire at the chip manufacturer. It wasn't a pretty site to say the least. It's quite sad that most of America's manufacturing capability has been sent overseas thanks to greedy politicians, and American's that would save a dime just to buy foreign crap. IMHO
Not to mention companies optimizing short term profits vs long term benefits for both the company and country.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
OP
OP
greypilgrim76

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
English Professor

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Are there any facts-examples of production delays or longer than normal lead times for Ford Rangers? I have only seen reasonable info <3 months order to delivery.

With no facts why the worry?
Sponsored