Ranger performs well in IIHS crash tests

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor

2019 Ford Ranger crew cab driver-side small overlap IIHS crash test 0-11 screenshot.png

The redesigned 2019 Ford Ranger crew cab earns good ratings in all but one of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's crashworthiness evaluations, as well as a superior rating for front crash prevention. A marginal headlight rating, however, keeps the pickup from qualifying for a TOP SAFETY PICK award.

The Ranger was last sold in the U.S. as a 2011 model in regular-cab and extended-cab versions. The 2019 Ranger is available as a crew cab, called the SuperCrew, and as an extended cab, called the SuperCab. IIHS only evaluated the crew cab version.

The Ranger earns good ratings in five crashworthiness evaluations. These include the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests. It earns an acceptable rating in the passenger-side small overlap front test. In that test, the passenger's survival space was maintained reasonably well, but forces on the right lower leg indicated a risk of injury.

The pickup comes with a standard front crash prevention system that earns a superior rating in IIHS tests. It avoided a collision in the 12 mph test and reduced its speed by an average of 24 mph in the 25 mph test. The system has a forward collision warning component that meets the criteria set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Ranger falls short of a TOP SAFETY PICK award because it earns only a marginal headlight rating for each of its three available headlight options. Combined with its other ratings for crashworthiness and front crash prevention, an acceptable headlight rating would have earned the pickup a TOP SAFETY PICK award.

2019 Ford Ranger.png
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Having the LED driving lights makes the headlights a non issue.

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I wish manufacturers wouldn't have headlight options. Just give everyone the safest/best option. Unfortunately it cost them a Top Safety Pick, silly.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I wish manufacturers wouldn't have headlight options. Just give everyone the safest/best option. Unfortunately it cost them a Top Safety Pick, silly.
it earns only a marginal headlight rating for each of its three available headlight options. Isn't LED one of the 3? I thought there were only 2 options...LED and non LED.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They didn't like any of the headlight options so it wouldn't have made a difference. This is a relatively new test IIRC, and nobody is doing that well on it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it earns only a marginal headlight rating for each of its three available headlight options. Isn't LED one of the 3? I thought there were only 2 options...LED and non LED.
LED, non-LED, and non-LED without auto highbeam.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the 2019 Ford Ranger is tied with the 2019 Toyota Tacoma for best IIHS crash safety ratings for a midsize body-on-frame truck. The 2019 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon and 2019 Nissan Frontier both score worse.

Only the unibody 2019 Honda Ridgeline scores better than any midsize body-on-frame truck.
And that's only if you count the headlights, and only on their top trim; the lower trims score worse than all ranger trims. And they're only good with auto-highbeam, which basically never activates most of the time in my area and especially not in conditions where visibility matters and the lights are otherwise scoring low (that is, going around a corner when there are oncoming lights killing night vision.) I mostly tend to think the IIHS headlight tests are on the border between BS and an ok idea that's ahead of its time. I'm sure in a few years the manufacturers will adjust the lights to score better on the test, but I'm not completely convinced how much better things will be if they're designed to do well on the test. (Except for failing headlights with too much glare--those blinding headlights are the devil and someone should definitely give them a bad rating.)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3 headlights available and tested are/were:
XL = incandescent bulbs
XLT = halogen bulbs
Lariat = LED bulbs
XL is halogen; I don't think there's been a standard incandescent headlight on a new car in decades. The difference is the auto high beam functionality.

Deleted member 1634

The headlights do leave something to be desired for me. But that's why I'm adding more lights to it, especially for all the open road driving I do here in Northern Minnesota. Gotta see those deer, moose, and bear a good deal before smacking right into them.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I would like some for off road in Baja. I'm leasing so I'm reluctant to do much, and will probably live with what I have for now.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you saw that first picture and went "NOOOOOO, you killed a Ranger!"?

As someone still waiting on delivery, I'll admit, I wanted to weep a little. :LOL:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
So THAT is how you remove the grille....
Dammit, I was hoping to be the one to write that. Take your well-deserved "like". :like:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 9.55.11 AM.png
Sponsored