Ranger keeping up with jeep srt8

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Super modified and tuned Ranger against stock Jeep?
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
OP
OP
Floydean

Floydean

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Military
Super modified and tuned Ranger against stock Jeep?
He’s tuned as well, I’ll see if I can get a pic of the Dyno but he put down close to 600hp. Once he slaps the pro charger on I stand no chance lol.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He’s tuned as well, I’ll see if I can get a pic of the Dyno but he put down close to 600hp. Once he slaps the pro charger on I stand no chance lol.
maybe the experience will force him to come back with a trackhawk - supercharger fixes the off line sluggishness, but at $80K plus he'd really want revenge. surprised those jeeps weigh in at 5k plus, being a unibody.

OP
OP
Floydean

Floydean

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Military
maybe the experience will force him to come back with a trackhawk - supercharger fixes the off line sluggishness, but at $80K plus he'd really want revenge. surprised those jeeps weigh in at 5k plus, being a unibody.
Right they do weigh allot. Let’s see what he does

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grew up in this area and recall some acquaintances - known as gearheads would street race under the Skyway bridge, on Sat night you'd grab a 6 pack and it was cheap entertainment, but this was back in the 70s. BTW - I would wrench for a couple of my buddies, one with a 71 mustang that was heavily modified and won a number of races.

So back in the late 60’s early 70’s there was a place known as “Ohio Street” which was off Furman Blvd. in the city of Buffalo, NY that ran alongside the Skyway which connected Buffalo to Lackawanna and was the equivalent of today’s Street Outlaws show on TV . The street was not your normal city street as there was never any traffic on this street in the evening and it was the equivalent of a four lane road. Add some smooth blacktop and lighting and the place came alive on weekends at dusk. There could be anywhere from two to fifty cars there on any given weekend night with only one thing on everybody’s mind…who’s car is the fastest. Typically you lined up at the starting line which was marked on the street and waited for anyone to line up against you. Sometimes it wasn’t uncommon to have three or four cars lined up and a designated starter waved their arms that meant go. There was a pole that marked the finish line which was very close to a eighth mile length with an equal amount of shut down area.
How serious was this racing back in the day? You could have hundreds of spectators watching and some betting on the action and some of the big name racers of the era would bring their cars on trailers to compete for big bucks. Names like Joe Mantione of the famed “Hot Foot” race car and Joe Orlando’s Maverak were some of the featured big buck run offs in that era but many local racers like Marc Schifferle, Paul Cochi, yours truly plus many more racers of today could be there on the weekends throughout the summer. Basically you dropped off your date and headed to Ohio Street. This was the era of 60’s and 70’s muscle cars and basically everything from Hemi powered Chargers to LS6’s Chevelles, Camaro’s, Mustangs, Corbra Jets and more with the racing continuing into the wee hours. Some nights volunteers would be on the lookout for police on the Skyway Bridge with walkee talkees and if the police were spotted they would alert everyone. The racers could disperse within minutes as Ohio Street was a one way street that had a ramp back onto the Skyway so it made for a quick exit before the police could get there. Within an hour everyone was back and the smell of rubber was in the air with smoky burnouts prevailing and the racing action was hot.

Last edited:

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
There is a cool show called Idris Elba- King of speed that shows some street racers in Detroit where the cops are supporters. Lots of empty streets there to race on.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/nashville-dad-jacob-barnhardt-killed-by-speeding-drag-racer-cops/

seems to be happening more an more. I've had packs of chargers an challengers fly by me on the highway...occasionally a 5.0 or wrx will be in the pack. They zig zag through traffic at unsafe speeds. I usually set my cruise 5 to 10 over the speed limit an they pass like I'm sitting still.

I like a quick stoplight drag race now an then but I always shut it down quickly. When I look at car performance numbers the 0 to 60 is what I always go right to. Bad things can happen at 50 mph but it's much easier to keep control at those types of speed.

I thought California started taking cars from people caught racing.

OP
OP
Floydean

Floydean

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Military
https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/nashville-dad-jacob-barnhardt-killed-by-speeding-drag-racer-cops/

seems to be happening more an more. I've had packs of chargers an challengers fly by me on the highway...occasionally a 5.0 or wrx will be in the pack. They zig zag through traffic at unsafe speeds. I usually set my cruise 5 to 10 over the speed limit an they pass like I'm sitting still.

I like a quick stoplight drag race now an then but I always shut it down quickly. When I look at car performance numbers the 0 to 60 is what I always go right to. Bad things can happen at 50 mph but it's much easier to keep control at those types of speed.

I thought California started taking cars from people caught racing.
They are taking cars and crushing them, my buddy had his car banned in Cali he now lives in Arizona.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
May I know your mods? The Ranger does great tuned against a lot of vehicles minus specifically sports oriented vehicles.