Ranger crew cab big enough for family with kids?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Am I the only one who wishes there was a truck size in between a mid-size and a full-size? Seem's like there is a pretty big discrepancy between the cab on an F150 vs. a Ranger. Weird to me that all the different brands (Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.) seem to all have close to the exact same dimensions for their mid-size trucks and their full-size trucks. Wouldn't it be a good strategy for one of them to build an in-between size to differentiate themselves? I can't be the only one who wants something like this...

Crossing my fingers that the 6G Ranger will be a bit bigger but not banking on it...
Most of us seem to be worried that mid size trucks are going to start ballooning the way full size trucks have. I'd be much happier if the ranger stays the size that it is, if not a little smaller. It's for hauling stuff--I have a different vehicle for hauling people--and I'd like it to stay at a size where it can haul a good bit of stuff and still be easy to park.
Sponsored

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
How many of you guys are using the Ranger as a family vehicle? Trying to decide between a full-size truck and a mid-size. Overall I definitely prefer a mid-size because I feel like full sized trucks are way too big and we live in an urban area and need to park downtown often, but the interior space in mid-size trucks seems like it might be a little bit too small. Any of you able to fit 2x car/booster seats in the back? Occasionally would like to be able to carry an extra adult in the back to in addition to the 2x car/booster seats. I know a full-size would be a safer bet but if a mid-size would do the trick that would be my preference.
We can easily fit our two kids (one adult/one tall teenage boy) in the backseat and travel comfortably, but I'm fairly short and usually have my seat pushed forward and he sits behind me. The good thing about my Ranger is I purchased the truck cap, and everything goes in the back so there's lots of room in the cab.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I did a lot of research on car seats when both of my kids were in one. It is not safe to use the outside anchors for a middle seat. It’s sucks that there isn’t one there but the anchors are designed to work with their mate to counter the forces that occur in a collision. It is much easier to rip those anchors out of you pull on one side instead of both. Do the safe thing and use them as designed. You’ll never forgive yourself if your child is hurt because you didn’t use the safety equipment properly.

OP
OP

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Most of us seem to be worried that mid size trucks are going to start ballooning the way full size trucks have. I'd be much happier if the ranger stays the size that it is, if not a little smaller. It's for hauling stuff--I have a different vehicle for hauling people--and I'd like it to stay at a size where it can haul a good bit of stuff and still be easy to park.
True... perhaps I should rephrase. I think the current mid-size truck size should definitely continue to exist (for the reasons you mention) and I also think the current size of full-size trucks should continue to exist because those are useful to a ton of people as well, I just wish that there was a 3rd option in the middle for people like me - who want the truck to function as a people hauler and stuff hauler without being a huge monstrosity like full-size trucks currently are. Would me nice to have a small, medium, and a large option rather than just a small ("mid-size") and large option. Weren't the previous generation F150's kind of what I am describing? I think they got a lot bigger starting around the 2014/2015 models? Or perhaps it's the generation before that (before 2009) that I am referring to.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True... perhaps I should rephrase. I think the current mid-size truck size should definitely continue to exist (for the reasons you mention) and I also think the current size of full-size trucks should continue to exist because those are useful to a ton of people as well, I just wish that there was a 3rd option in the middle for people like me - who want the truck to function as a people hauler and stuff hauler without being a huge monstrosity like full-size trucks currently are. Would me nice to have a small, medium, and a large option rather than just a small ("mid-size") and large option. Weren't the previous generation F150's kind of what I am describing? I think they got a lot bigger starting around the 2014/2015 models? Or perhaps it's the generation before that (before 2009) that I am referring to.
I wouldn't call the current mid-size trucks, "small"--a lot of us would like to see something smaller--they're just the smallest available currently because the compact trucks disappeared.

Back in the day you could fit a huge number of people into a vehicle smaller than a ranger. Just can't be done anymore, mostly because of safety changes. (There was more interior volume before you needed crumple zones & places to put airbags, and you didn't worry about putting people where there were seatbelts because there weren't seatbelts.)

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Have you been in a Ranger yet? The crew cab is very roomy (to me, with wife and two tweeners). It may not be the most ideal with 5 people for a long drive, and obviously their sizes and car seats would come into play, but I don’t think you could actually get much bigger space without moving to a full size.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
OP
OP

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I did a lot of research on car seats when both of my kids were in one. It is not safe to use the outside anchors for a middle seat. It’s sucks that there isn’t one there but the anchors are designed to work with their mate to counter the forces that occur in a collision. It is much easier to rip those anchors out of you pull on one side instead of both. Do the safe thing and use them as designed. You’ll never forgive yourself if your child is hurt because you didn’t use the safety equipment properly.
You can still use the middle seat in general for a car seat though, right? We currently have a car seat that has both an anchor option and an option to use the seat belt as well. We have one in the middle seat of our vehicle and use the seat belt and also uses the strap that goes over top of the seat and latches at the back of the seat (I think the Ranger has this latch in the middle based on pictures I've seen). So it's not that it's impossible to use the middle seat for a car seat in the Ranger, just that you can't use it with certain (anchor only) styles, right?

OP
OP

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Have you been in a Ranger yet? The crew cab is very roomy (to me, with wife and two tweeners). It may not be the most ideal with 5 people for a long drive, and obviously their sizes and car seats would come into play, but I don’t think you could actually get much bigger space without moving to a full size.
I have not been in a Ranger yet so hopefully I am just totally out to lunch on this and it's bigger than I think. I have been in the back of a Colorado crew cab though, which I think is basically the same size... and it's definitely sufficient but not sure if it would be comfortable. I was just in it myself and no testing with car seats. I'm going to try to rent a Ranger and fully test it out though. Just trying to get some info from you guys on here first since you have first hand experience.

Also been in the back of a Tacoma and that was definitely cramped, but I think those are a little bit smaller than the Colorado and Ranger.

Where I am getting this all from is that I've sat in the back of an F150 and thought "this is super comfortable but there is definitely a lot more room than we need back here (and the overall size of the vehicle is massive)" and then sat in the back of a mid-size and thought "if there were just a few more inches of leg room and few more inches of width this would be the perfect size". Full size trucks are super tall too. In underground parking you are like 3 inches from the roof at all times with the antenna hitting everything.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
You can still use the middle seat in general for a car seat though, right? We currently have a car seat that has both an anchor option and an option to use the seat belt as well. We have one in the middle seat of our vehicle and use the seat belt and also uses the strap that goes over top of the seat and latches at the back of the seat (I think the Ranger has this latch in the middle based on pictures I've seen). So it's not that it's impossible to use the middle seat for a car seat in the Ranger, just that you can't use it with certain (anchor only) styles, right?
I assume that using the seatbelt in the center is ok. Please read the manual.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
How much bigger than a Ranger is the Honda Ridgeline?
According to the specs, Ridgeline has ~2 inches more rear seat legroom, ~3 inches more rear seat width at hip, and ~5 inches more width at shoulder.

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I'm a family of 5 - My wife, our 18 year old son (5'10), our 11 yo and 10 yo. The 11 just moved out of the booster in the truck (and an Australian Shepard). It is tight when all 5 people are in the truck but doable for trips under a couple of hours. However, when it's just my wife and two younger kids we have more than enough room to even bring the dog. My truck is not the primary family hauler that is my wife Atlas so that makes it nicer for longer trips. However, for going around town the truck is prefect and I love the size.
You have an 11 year old in a booster seat?

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The current printing of the ranger manual contains the following:

Use of Inboard Lower Anchors from the Outermost Seating Positions (Center Seating Use)

WARNING: The standardized spacing for LATCH lower anchors is 11 in (280 mm) center to center. Do not use LATCH lower anchors for the center seating position unless the child restraint manufacturer's instructions permit and specify using anchors spaced at least as far apart as those in this vehicle.

The lower anchors at the center of the second row rear seat are spaced 25.7 in (652 mm) apart. The standardized spacing for LATCH lower anchors is 11.0 in (280 mm) center to center. You cannot install a child restraint with rigid LATCH attachments at the center seating position. LATCH compatible child restraints (with attachments on belt webbing) can only be used at this seating position provided that the child restraint manufacturer's instructions permit use with the anchor spacing stated. Do not attach a child restraint to any lower anchor if an adjacent child restraint is attached to that anchor.
My reading is that you can use the center seat with the latch anchors as long as the car seat will work with the non-standard width. There is no reason to believe that this will cause an anchor to pull out, or ford would have mentioned that in the manual and said not to do it rather than specifying how it may be done.

And, of course, you can always just use the seatbelt in the middle position. The ones in the ranger can be put into automatic locking mode which honestly can be easier to deal with than those tiny latch anchor points that I fondly remember contorting my fingers to get to.

Rwils31

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Toyota
My crew cab works out good for my family and i. My 4 year old forward faces behind me and my 2 year old is rear racing behind the passenger seat. I can have my seat all the way back and my daughter has plenty of leg room still, the passenger seat can’t touch the car seat per car seat rules so it goes back maybe 50% before touching. It has been working out great though as a family truck.
Sponsored