Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I would ask the dealer to verify that it's supposed to come with a light in the glove box and when he says yes, ask them to get it done (for no charge). If it's missing I don't see how they can refuse.
Dealer can check "as built data" and verify if is supposed to be equipped. If it's supposed to be there, they will install, if not on As Built, they won't. It's not a problem for them to check.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Build date of 1/25/19 and I have one on my Lariat!

G-Force

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, fx4, SuperCrew, Magnetic, 1989 AM General M35A2C 2 1/2 ton retired Air Force Deuce ( named Olivia after my granddaughter)
So I was going to buy a glove box lamp assembly from this Ford dealer I have been purchasing parts from for my truck off their online website (I have an xlt which has a black hole on the passenger side when you open the glove box :frown: ). I of course am assuming (actually hoping) that the wire is there to hook it up. So I find it on their website. The part number is EB3Z-14413-AA. List price is $37.20 but they are discounting it 52.30% which made the price $17.74 plus tax. I pick it up so there's no shipping. So I figured, how could I go wrong? I hit "add to cart" and this window pops up with the light in my cart and the price is $67.74 :crazy:. Theres a $50.00 core charge!!!!! I emailed the dealer and explained my situation to him about how I didn't have a core because my truck never came with the light. I'll let you know how this turns out :(.
Fifty bucks core charge.....for a glove box light???? That's more than the regular list price!!!! Am I looking at this wrong???:crazy:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I was going to buy a glove box lamp assembly from this Ford dealer I have been purchasing parts from for my truck off their online website (I have an xlt which has a black hole on the passenger side when you open the glove box :frown: ). I of course am assuming (actually hoping) that the wire is there to hook it up. So I find it on their website. The part number is EB3Z-14413-AA. List price is $37.20 but they are discounting it 52.30% which made the price $17.74 plus tax. I pick it up so there's no shipping. So I figured, how could I go wrong? I hit "add to cart" and this window pops up with the light in my cart and the price is $67.74 :crazy:. Theres a $50.00 core charge!!!!! I emailed the dealer and explained my situation to him about how I didn't have a core because my truck never came with the light. I'll let you know how this turns out :(.
Fifty bucks core charge.....for a glove box light???? That's more than the regular list price!!!! Am I looking at this wrong???:crazy:
Hi Mike

A core charge on a wiring harness???? Amazing! I could see this if there were warranty issues that needed investigation and the Company wanted parts back for analysie...but a tiny wiring harness??? Something is wrong here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

G-Force

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, fx4, SuperCrew, Magnetic, 1989 AM General M35A2C 2 1/2 ton retired Air Force Deuce ( named Olivia after my granddaughter)
Hi Mike

A core charge on a wiring harness???? Amazing! I could see this if there were warranty issues that needed investigation and the Company wanted parts back for analysie...but a tiny wiring harness??? Something is wrong here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Its supposed to be for the light, switch and wiring harness. I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to the guy who's in charge of internet sales. If I buy it over the parts counter and not off the internet website its $37.20 and I guess the $50.00 core charge also. That's $87.20 plus tax. FOR A GLOVE BOX LIGHT!!!!
I just went and checked on another Ford website. Plugged in the part number and hit "add to cart" and sure enough, $50.00 core charge. They must be made of gold!!!!!
I woudn't complain if I had a core......

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
It's a glove box lamp/switch assy, Phil. Mike, I just looked up that p# on my parts source and it's nearly the same price with the core charge the same. Something they all gotta do I guess.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's a glove box lamp/switch assy, Phil. Mike, I just looked up that p# on my parts source and it's nearly the same price with the core charge the same. Something they all gotta do I guess.
Hi Folks,

Okay...my take is a core charge is due to the fact the "core" can be rebuilt. Alternator. Water pump etc. Rebuild a wiring harness/switch?? Really weird. Maybe to stop people from upgrading without paying the option price? Mystery to me! :shock:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

G-Force

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. If he can't do anything for me I guess I'll email Ford. Or maybe I can get a rebuilt. Or maybe they ARE rebuilt?
Just a pretty steep chunk of change for a stupid light that's only going to get used to get out my registration and insurance card when I get pulled over.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi Folks,

Okay...my take is a core charge is due to the fact the "core" can be rebuilt. Alternator. Water pump etc. Rebuild a wiring harness/switch?? Really weird. Maybe to stop people from upgrading without paying the option price? Mystery to me! :shock:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I just put on a tail light on my neighbors C Max and it had a core charge! go figure

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Maybe they are calling it a core charge, but what if it's some sort of recycling fee? Only thing I can think of...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I changed out a broken taillight on a C-Max the other day, the core charge was well over $100 ...
For a shattered piece of plastic??!!
Funny note... The thing had an 1157 bulb in it??:crazy:
I haven't seen one used in a vehicle in several decades.

G-Force

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update!!!!
I woke up this morning and checked my email. There was an email from the dealer which said "Try it now. I removed the core charge". So for $19.23 I am the proud owner of a glove box light assembly. If it comes in tomrrow I'm probably going to play hookie from work and go get it. Then the adventure begins!!!!!
I am DYING to see what's at the bottom of my gove box.:frown: I hope that wire is there. I'll post pics when I get it. It's amazing what gets you excited when you get old and really don't have any responsibilities.:LOL:
I think my sons are p#ssed at me because I'm spending their inheritance :giggle:

Last edited:

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Update!!!!
I woke up this morning and checked my email. There was an email from the dealer which said "Try it now. I removed the core charge". So for $19.23 I am the proud owner of a glove box light assembly. If it comes in tomrrow I'm probably going to play hookie from work and go get it. Then the adventure begins!!!!!
I am DYING to see what's at the bottom of my gove box.:frown: I hope that wire is there. I'll post pics when I get it. It's amazing what gets you excited when you get old and really don't have any responsibilities.:LOL:
I think my sons are p#ssed at me because I'm spending their inheritance :giggle:
Any updates regarding the glove box light?

G-Force

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did receive the light but I have not had time to pull the glove box out and hunt for the connection. It was only the light with the push button switch built into it. I have been looking for a wiring diagram but still have not been able to find one. From what I have found out with the limited amount of information out there, I see wiring harnesses listed as without glove box lamp. So most likely the plug is not under the dash.:( I wish the weather would warm up a little bit and stop raining so I can hunt for that elusive plug. And also find a wiring diagram to see where they pull power for it from.:crazy:

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I layed yesterday also with the head down in the footwell and couldn't find any loose wire - to bad. But I figured out that my glove box light from the 2005 Chrysler 300 would work, and it cost only $12 (part 4565022).
I will ask my local dealer for a similar deal like you, otherwise i start with the chrysler part and will steal the power from the control unit at the b-piller.
Sponsored