RAM Mounts (My Setup)

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to do and then expand upon a RAM mount setup for my Tablet, Phone, GPS Receiver, GoPro, etc. Here's some pics of how I set it all up.

The top tray works well. Bought the 5" aluminum T track for that and bolted it through the tray. The tablet holder is two of the adhesive ball mounts together. It all works VERY well (and held up to offroad use in Colorado a couple of months ago.

20191127_101359.jpg

20191127_101407.jpg

20191127_101417.jpg

20191127_103305.jpg

20191127_103438.jpg

20191127_103451.jpg
Good Lord! look at all that Tech! :rockon: :camera: :handsinair:
Sponsored

punkish_overlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures of the build process? How did you bolt into the center tray? Did you remove the tray (how?), or use something like rivnuts?

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
Just FYI, I had RAM mount for my phone like the one you have there. The ball clamp plastics become brittle in the sun. My shattered after about a year or so in the sun and I park in my garage.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures of the build process? How did you bolt into the center tray? Did you remove the tray (how?), or use something like rivnuts?
Who are you asking? I'm assuming me as I'm the only one (I think) who drilled into the console:)

OP
OP
WLFPIR8

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try and get some pics later of the tray. But basically it pops out of the console. Just lined up the rail and drilled holes through. Some short round top bolts and nuts with a little threadlock holds it on.

punkish_overlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try and get some pics later of the tray. But basically it pops out of the console. Just lined up the rail and drilled holes through. Some short round top bolts and nuts with a little threadlock holds it on.
Thanks! I've had this rail in my amazon wishlist since I bought my Ranger, and have just kinda been waiting to see someone on here do it first so I would know how well it works.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'll be that guy.

What the heck are you doing with all that stuff??????

OP
OP
WLFPIR8

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'll be that guy.

What the heck are you doing with all that stuff??????
For me, offroad/overlanding. Sometimes for work (site surveys for IT/Infra stuff). Phone is for phone stuff, GoPro for getting some nice hyperlapse footage, and the iPad pro (connected to a Garmin GPS unit) for Gaia GPS or related mapping systems. With Gaia you can load national forest/park vehicle access road maps, overlays for light pollution (I like night photography), or anything else. Plus it records all of my adventures. Coming up will be a radio/haldheld mount for HAM also.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
RAM mounts are the best. Seems like theres almost an infinite way of customizing them. This is my current setup utilizing the Ranger specific seat bolt mount.

20191206_111331.jpg

20191206_115532.jpg

20191206_115548.jpg
Would you be willing to share what hardware you wound up purchasing for the tablet mount? I found the seat mount, but I can't quite figure out what you did for the rest of the mount (I know the tablet mounts will vary depending on specific tablet and size).

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Would you be willing to share what hardware you wound up purchasing for the tablet mount? I found the seat mount, but I can't quite figure out what you did for the rest of the mount (I know the tablet mounts will vary depending on specific tablet and size).
Sure! Components are as follows:

- RAM-VP-TBF12U 12" Lower Pole
- RAM-VP-SW1-8 8" Upper Pole with Double Swing Arms & Round Plate
- RAM-VB-202 No-Drill™ Vehicle Base for '19-20 Ford Ranger & 2020 Explorer
- RAM-HOL-TAB25U TabTite Tablet Holder

The C size mount might be a little overkill for a tablet, but it's super solid and I've since added on the following components to hold two additional cell phones, so I'm glad there's extra stability there:

- RAP-B-400-201U 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Small Tough-Claw Base (The claw secures really securely and easily to the upper extension of the pole)
- RAP-B-347U 2" X 1.7" Base with Amps and 1" Ball (Allows me to mount my existing ProClip phone holder to the RAM system)
- 2x RAM-B-273U RAM 1" Ball Accessory Base for any B-size Socket Arm (Adds an additional ball so I can use the same claw to mount both phones)
- RAP-B-200-2U Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm (For the second phone mount)

There are definitely other ways to do this and most folks won't have two phones to mount, but this is what ended up working for me. I also used VHB tape to add this Anker USB charger to the back of the mount. It has the added benefit of plugging into the inverter and thereby disabling the auto engine stop/start feature 99% of the time. Photos of the completed setup below...
20200130_190944.jpg
20200130_191037.jpg

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Sure! Components are as follows:

- RAM-VP-TBF12U 12" Lower Pole
- RAM-VP-SW1-8 8" Upper Pole with Double Swing Arms & Round Plate
- RAM-VB-202 No-Drill™ Vehicle Base for '19-20 Ford Ranger & 2020 Explorer
- RAM-HOL-TAB25U TabTite Tablet Holder

The C size mount might be a little overkill for a tablet, but it's super solid and I've since added on the following components to hold two additional cell phones, so I'm glad there's extra stability there:

- RAP-B-400-201U 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Small Tough-Claw Base (The claw secures really securely and easily to the upper extension of the pole)
- RAP-B-347U 2" X 1.7" Base with Amps and 1" Ball (Allows me to mount my existing ProClip phone holder to the RAM system)
- 2x RAM-B-273U RAM 1" Ball Accessory Base for any B-size Socket Arm (Adds an additional ball so I can use the same claw to mount both phones)
- RAP-B-200-2U Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm (For the second phone mount)

There are definitely other ways to do this and most folks won't have two phones to mount, but this is what ended up working for me. I also used VHB tape to add this Anker USB charger to the back of the mount. It has the added benefit of plugging into the inverter and thereby disabling the auto engine stop/start feature 99% of the time. Photos of the completed setup below...
20200130_190944.jpg
20200130_191037.jpg
Thanks so much for the info! I definitely don't need anything quite as elaborate as that, but I really appreciate it! That looks amazing!

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thanks so much for the info! I definitely don't need anything quite as elaborate as that, but I really appreciate it! That looks amazing!
Happy to help. You can definitely pick bits and pieces of the mount I have and make something that works for you. That's the beauty of the RAM stuff. Just be aware that the tablet mount is C size (1.5" Ball) and the cell phone mounts are B size (standard 1" ball).

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to help. You can definitely pick bits and pieces of the mount I have and make something that works for you. That's the beauty of the RAM stuff. Just be aware that the tablet mount is C size (1.5" Ball) and the cell phone mounts are B size (standard 1" ball).
Just curious, how long did it take for you to get your mounts? I placed my order on Friday early afternoon and got an "Estimated To Ship On:" Of 2/11/2020 (+/-5 Days). Which, is the most bizarre shipping estimation I've ever seen in my life.