First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Simce it is obvious that CB radios, GMRS radios and HAM radios are used in all sorts of things including offroad I'm curious as to what you guus prefer and what channel you normally run on for offroad. It would be cool if there was a standard for GMRS but I know there is one for CB. Cant say for sure on HAM.
Sponsored

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
Hams will use 146.52 on 2 meters for local simplex contacts. However many will open up their transceivers to operate outside of the ham bands. GMRS frequencies for example. If your ham radio is HF capable it can even operate on the CB band.

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
Most people these days are switching to GMRS/FRS for off-roading. If you buy the family GMRS license you can run up to 50 watts, but you can talk to anyone in your group that only bought the bubble pack FRS radios from Walmart. There is also a growing number of repeaters that can extend your range for social/emergency uses. The 2021 Jeep Jamboree is switching from CB to GMRS/FRS as the official trail comma.
Like said before some ham in the uhf/vhf bands will open their radios to talk on GMRS so they only have to install one radio. Each mode/band has its uses but CB is falling to the way side in the off-roadies groups in favor of either GMRS/FRS or one of the most overlooked bands MURS. MURD is like CB but it is in the VHF/UHF band and runs FM vice AM modulation so it is less prone to interface that happens in AM.

There are tons of YouTube videos that cover the differences and benefits of each.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I understand the difference is between the radios and the pros and cons. I'm just curious of what the most common channels for off-road is. I am aware that CB and Ham radios you have an off-road Channel. Gmrs it's one of those I'm not too sure.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Let's not forget that ham and GMRS radio require a license. For hams you have to take a test and pay a $35 fee. For GMRS you just have to pay the $35 fee. Ham radio is more versatile but isn't as popular for the off-road crowd. I do agree that GMRS is replacing CB for mobile communication.

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
There are no real dedicated channels on GMRS/FRS everyone jus coordinates a channel at the trail head. Keep in mind the FRS radios are limited to .5 watts and with GMRS you can go up to 50watts on some channels. The license for GMRS is $70.00 right now but will soon go down to around $30.00. This license is good for you entire family for ten years and requires no test. Just go to the FCC website and pay the fee and fill out your info. Usually takes less than 24hrs and your done. Like I said before this pair is taking over from CB in most parts of the country. And with the Jeep Jamboree changing to this band for comms will help that push.
Bottom line CB, Ham, or GMRS/FRS all require some coordination regardless. There are no real dedicated freqs or channels.

Tomvilla

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota
Occupation
Employee
I have an Anytone 878 dmr radio, it works great. Not a bad choice, but the $95 price tag concerns who's budget is not above $50. I haven't had any bad experiences. However, I love my old MD390 and now considering buying one again.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have an Anytone 878 dmr radio, it works great. Not a bad choice, but the $95 price tag concerns who's budget is not above $50. I haven't had any bad experiences. However, I love my old MD390 and now considering buying one again.
The AnyTone AT-D878UV is more in the region of $220 - is that the one you were referring to?

Tomvilla

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota
Occupation
Employee
Yes, consider it a slip of hand as you mentioned the price I was just comparing the price on Walmart vs hamradio both got a big difference, what's your reliable source to go with?

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Yes, consider it a slip of hand as you mentioned the price I was just comparing the price on Walmart vs hamradio both got a big difference, what's your reliable source to go with?
I have the impression that bridgecomsystems.com is one of the biggest resellers (thatā€™s who I usually check when Iā€™m looking at AnyTone). I also check hamradio.com.
Thereā€™s also more expensive models based on the same radio (about $300).

I personally have a Btech DMR-6X2; itā€™s pretty much the same hardware with a different firmware (Iā€™m thinking they all come from the same factory).

I want a mobile DMR/tri-band rig with more power, but thereā€™s limited space in our trusty Rangers (especially in the Tremor where we donā€™t have the dashboard tray). I havenā€™t tried yet but I think Iā€™ll use my handheld in there for now.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I think I have it figured out. No more messing around with dash mounts (inexistent for the Tremor), nor roof consoles from Australia:

I will buy one of these DMR radios and install it under the driver or passenger seat
D578UV-2674x2000.jpg

When this accessory is finally released:
BTMic-253x520.jpg
ā€˜​

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Is that radio on the fmrs band?
I don't mean to be pedantic but I assume you meant GMRS/FRS?

This radio is for ham bands and FCC Part 90 (but I think it needs a special config for Part 90).

I expect it to be able to receive GMRS/FRS frequencies... might be able to transmit on them too, after configuration, but the power will be higher than what the FCC allows.
(I hope that the virtue signalers who think they work for the FCC won't come lecture me about touching this topic: I would like to think it's ok to transmit "illegally" at higher power in emergency situations...)

It should behave like these HTs: D868 / D878 / DMR-6X2 - so research on these might give us clues if it's possible, and how to do it.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mean to be pedantic but I assume you meant GMRS/FRS?

This radio is for ham bands and FCC Part 90 (but I think it needs a special config for Part 90).

I expect it to be able to receive GMRS/FRS frequencies... might be able to transmit on them too, after configuration, but the power will be higher than what the FCC allows.
(I hope that the virtue signalers who think they work for the FCC won't come lecture me about touching this topic: I would like to think it's ok to transmit "illegally" at higher power in emergency situations...)

It should behave like these HTs: D868 / D878 / DMR-6X2 - so research on these might give us clues if it's possible, and how to do it.
Yes, fat thumbs and small keys, bad combo

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Yes, fat thumbs and small keys, bad combo
I wondered for a second if it was the cool kidā€™s new way to refer to gmrs and frs but in one word ?
Sponsored